public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Production Managers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:56 am 

Okay, I'm up for a PM job for a small dance festival here is SF. It will be my first PM/ Technical Director job.<P>Any pointers?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Production Managers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:18 pm 

Rough one. I do the TD/PM combination a lot, but I'm not sure I could actually delineate anything that would help you. How well do you know the house and the crew?<P>Here's what typically goes in my binder (remember, though, that I'm also lighting the shows):<P>Channel Hookup<BR>Instrument Schedule<BR>Dimmer Hookup<BR>Color Cut List<BR>Production Schedules<BR>Contact Sheet<BR>Quotes and receipts for rental equipment<BR>Plots of any mid-show color changes<BR>A Rail Cue Plot<BR>Prop Presets<BR>Magic Sheet<BR>Running Order<BR>Tax-Exempt Forms<BR>A List of Any Changes Made to the House Plot<BR>A Sound Cue Plot<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited March 28, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:39 am 

Also:<P>Sources of sugar, caffeine, and comfort food of choice

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:35 am 

Actually, that's very helpful. I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of scheduling, which I have lots of experience in. <P>The venue is small, non-union and without a full-time crew, so I will probably have to hire help. I haven't gotten any specifics on what the theater will provide and what we will porvide. I have to interface with 10 artists. should be interesting.<P><BR>Watch this space.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:40 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The venue is small, non-union and without a full-time crew, so I will probably have to hire help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmmm, sounds like a company I know. Usually don't get to hire help...I am the help.<P>Danger, danger, Will Robinson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:30 am 

LMC (hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name):<P>Because of your limitations (financial, non-union, and the amount of time each company will want to rehearse and set special lighting requirements), you might wish to take a page from the book of the USA IBC - - choose five to ten standard lighting cues, add one or two specials as required for specific pieces, and let the companies adapt to the festival needs.<P>Otherwise, you may find yourself consistently going overtime trying to set complex lighting changes for ten different companies; going overtime trying to rehearse them to everyone's satisfaction; and still missing them during the performances because of insufficient learning time and rehearsal. Then doing it all over again for the next company. And making everyone, including yourself, very unhappy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:30 pm 

Thankfully there are only three companies I have to coordinate.<P>This is all good advice. Keep it coming.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:46 pm 

LMC (the first name basis is catching on), how is the situation? Any updates?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:36 pm 

They decided to hire a more emperienced individual. Can't say I blame them. They also would have needed more of my time than I could have comfortable given, so it all works out in the end. Guess I'll have to put off my career change a little longer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:09 pm 

All things considered...be thankful! (from Will Robinsons' robot, whatever his name was. I think is was just "Robot.")

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:03 pm 

Yeah, I am. This job came up at totally the wrong time, when I would not have been able to do it justice. It all works out...

Profile E-mail