public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What do you want?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:37 pm 

That is so true. I had a costume shop supervisor tell me that it was my job to teach the young singers I was working with how to treat the technical staff, i.e. not like hired help.

If I could have a dollar for everytime I said, "I'm not your mother, wife or maid, so hand up your !*&%$ costume."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:01 pm 

I agree with all. It is a matter of giving respect to all involved. Ultimately, when the stage manager starts to call the show, the show is in the stage manager's hands. If the stage manager does not have everyone's respect, there could be trouble. I have found the best stage managers to be the ones who care about everyone and makes everyone know that they are important and that all aspects of the show are being looked after.
By the way, in my opinion, a really great performance of anything is when all of the contributions of all artists involved blend together and not one aspect stands out. I saw a dance program one time in Scotland where all I could think about was the awful scenery. It took away from the dance. A really great performance, to me, is when it all works together. This kind of teamwork is great for those working together and the audience benefits too. What do others think about this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:09 pm 

I totally agree.

I gave a lecture about aesthetic perception a few weeks ago and one of the things I said was that there are many parts to a dance performance (performers, chreography, music, production values, etc.) and a good performance finds the right balance of all of these ingredients.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:59 pm 

Thank you LMCtech. This is what I teach also. :)