public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "cross training" for dancers
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 3:35 am 

i'm starting a new thread because maggie and azlan have brought up the valuable issue of cross-training for dancers.<P>to quote from their previous posts in another thread, Maggie had written "the number of injuries I see over and over again bears the necessity of at least cross-training to help try to prevent them from happening."<P>azlan's reply: "I am intrigued by your comment on cross-training. While your statement implies that<BR>cross-training will help reduce injuries, doesn't it also pollute a dancer's training?<BR>Any comments?"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "cross training" for dancers
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 6:57 pm 

I would say that it only really pollutes a dancers training if they dance in a completely different type of dance often. A modern class once a week is not going to dull a ballet dancer's technique. Many dancers take yoga classes to relax. On the other hand, if one has a ballet class and a jazz class every day, one or both of the two techniques will probably suffer, IMO. <P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2000 2:49 am 

(i hope MAGGIE doesn't mind that i have transferred her post over here from another thread. sorry, maggie, for confusing the issue by starting 2 related threads at the same time. Image)<P>>>>posted by Maggie, member, May 19, 2000 04:40 PM <P>I don't believe that I was referring to dancers taking dance classes w/other teachers.That would be another discussion. <P>I was referring to cross-training such as pilates, gyrotonics, or even yoga, if some dancers choose, although I feel that pilates followed by gyrotonics would be more specific to a dancer's cross training. <P>What often seems to happen is that a dancer injures his/herself and goes to a doctor. The doctor will refer to a physical therapist, or if knowledgable, to a good pilates teacher also. Sometimes the physical therapist needs to do work before the dancer is ready for further movement therapy. <P>The aforementioned teacher then retrains the dancer so that she or he can return to class and performing, hopefully with some new tools to help prevent becoming re-injured. If dancer's supplemented their training with one of the appropriate modalities, perhaps the rate of injury would go down. I would'nt expect it to disappear completely since dance is such a strenuous art form, but prevention is always better than having to recover from injury.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2000 2:50 am 

i completely agree with you (inasmuch as i understand, anyway!) maggie, but i have never heard of gyrotonics. please can you inform me/us about what this is?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 3:51 am 

About your question regarding gyrotonics, Grace. I think it would be easiest to visit their website to get the best description. Personally, I think it's fascinating and intend to (have been adding) add it to my repertoire. I believe Susan Jaffe is a practicer of this method. That site is <A HREF="http://www.gyrotonics.com" TARGET=_blank>www.gyrotonics.com</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 4:01 am 

Maggie, that URL doesn't seem to work - you end up at a website service provider. Can you check the site, as it would be interesting to read about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 4:49 am 

You're right, Stewart, I couldn't get it to work from my reply above, either, even though that's the url listed on their website. You could go to the web and type in gyrotonics expansion system, and hit search.The first listing, gyrotonics expansion system, is the site of developer of this method.<BR>Sorry for the mess, I don't know how to fix it.<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited May 21, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 10:48 am 

Maggie, which search engine are you referencing to do this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 12:51 pm 

While waiting for the gyrotonics website to get clarified..I thought I would give my own personal account. I studied gyrotonics in Seattle for about a year a half. There is a studio there called "White Cloud"...I believe there are other white cloud studios throughout the world...in Europe, New York, I think australia. Gryotonics is sometimes confused with Pilates. Anyway, gryotonics was invented by a Romanian gymnast/dancer named Juliu Horvath. He wanted to build a strength training technique which would stretch and strengthen at the same time. The training is done on apparatus (although there is also white cloud yoga, which is complementary technqiue)which is all hand made wood apparatus--beautiful to look at. The movement on the apparatus is 3 dimensional (mostly circular) resistance training which incorporates movement from yoga, biking, swimming and gymanastics. It really "opens up" the joints and the circularity of the movement feels very organic. It also (like Pilates) uses specific breathing technique. I really liked it when I did it--but I tend to have a short attention span when it comes to cross training techniques! Meaning I get bored after a while and try something else...right now I'm exploring yoga, which I'm really loving. But I heartily recommend white cloud/gyrotonics--you don't have to be a dancer to do it---I know of interior designers, health care professionals, stay-at home moms who all used gyrotonics. <BR>As far as cross-training for dancers....I really believe in it ...but you need to be careful what you do...running is not so good!!Tends to make you tight and risk of foot/knee injury. Weight training is good-especially for upper body..which is often neglected in dance training. Aerobic training for dancers is often neglected as well-dancers *need it to get through a long--sometimes 2 hr. performance...biking is good because there's no foot injury risk...swimming I'm not sure about as far as aerobic--it's hard (for obvious reasons) to get the core body temperature up in swimming..necessary for true aerobic conditioning. I still think yoga is your best bet..for it's mental training (focus), relaxation techniques and strength/flexibility component..<P>Wow,,, this is turning into a long posting..oh welll, hope this was a help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 4:38 pm 

Stewart, that would be aol search.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 6:22 pm 

OK - this is FASCINATING!<BR> Image <BR>i have found so much on gyrotonics, which is completely new to me, that i am starting a new thread for it. <P>apparently, it's the NEXT THING! <P>so we all need to be 'in the know', don't we?..we'll be ahead of the crowd, it appears. so, off you go to: <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000029.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000029.html</A> <P>thanks! please continue any general discussion re cross-training issues here! Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 21, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2000 3:32 pm 

Just been catching up on what's been going on while I was away and this is really interesting.<BR>I really do want to echo Trinas advice concerning Yoga and to add to Trinas attributes - breathing!!!<BR>A crucial key to the dance.<P>I believe you can achieve the highest excellence by taking either path (cross-training or exclusive), it is a more personal issue, which will alter with each individual dancer - in the end it's what works for you; to achieve purity.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2000 5:28 pm 

have a look at 'gyroytonics' thread now, micheal - *I* want to try it (since i can't get to your floor barre classes in sydney! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 4:11 am 

I think I would like to add that not only are methods that work on specificity of correct movement good cross-training, they are invaluable and critical for recovery from injuries. The dancer recovers better, and has more knowledge regarding preventing future injuries. <BR>Where physical therapy works primarily just the injured area with exercises, working somewhat with static anatomy, some of these methods work entire anatomical movement in a wholistic way. (that's wholistic, not holistic) Put very simply, movement in correct alignment creates correct muscular development. If taught well, and applied correctly, it becomes a beautiful form of movement in and of itself. Not taught just as a series of exercises, but as a form of movement prevents the boredom inherent in some other forms. The difference is in the teaching.<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited May 27, 2000).]

Profile E-mail