public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dancing dogs - they must be kidding!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:05 am 

Ahem. I have dachshunds. They are quite capable of being elegant!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:51 am 

Ahhh. So now we are speaking of "Dances with Wolfhounds"?<P>Obviously, Erik Bruhn was a Great Dane. <P>And I know that if Rin Tin Tin and Lassie were to dance together, it would be a "poo-del-doo"<P>But seriously, how could you choreograph anything for a company that refused to do a pas de chat? <P>(Do you think it would be difficult to teach a dalmatian how to spot?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:53 am 

Maggie:<P>Have your dachshunds ever performed in "Tales of the Wiener Woods"?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:43 am 

My Yorkshire Terrier turns into a completely different "person" with tap shoes around. Particularly if he's in need of a pedicure, he can make the most delightfully skittish tap noises on our hardwood floors with his nails. Thought about putting in a sprung floor for his antics... but he only weighs 8lbs so probably he doesn't need it. <P>Perspective is an interesting thing. I can't imagine that dancing would hold a cat's attention for any length of time, but my doggie would do it all day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:31 pm 

Hmmm ... A dog with a measurable attention span ... I don't believe it Image<BR>************<P>I was really disappointed with most of what I found on dancing dogs and cats. It's easy to train a dog to respond to cues. And more intelligent dogs can respond to more complex cues. However, simply performing on cues is not what I would call dancing.<P>Dogs and cats can be very creative. Some more than others. <P>I don't know much about dogs, but when it comes to games involving movement, cat's are easily engaged.<P>Young cats instinctively follow movement. They also instinctively watch and immitate the movement of their mothers (or those they have bonded with). Cats have a strong awareness of position and space. They are capable of learning to recognize patterns and can learn to keep rhythm. They are also capable of learning to predict actions and to improvise responses.<P>These are traits that should be used when teaching a cat. Unfortunately, these traits seem to be ignored in training cats to "dance".<P>Of course, then, even cat people tend to fail in recognizing and meeting the needs of their cats. Cats are not naturally unsociable; people just fail to properly socialize their cats. Cats are also very active learners. But, cats cannot be trained like a dog. They have their own unique needs.<P>Anyhow, back to dancing dogs and cats, there also seems to be a tendency to ignore the natural movement range of the cat or dog. In my opinion, a dancing cat should be demonstrating the art of feline movement. A dancing dog should be demonstrating ... (shiver). I don't imagine these cats and dogs find much intrinsic satisfaction in performing half the stunts I've seen.<P>Not only do I see people living out their dreams through their pets as Angela suggested, I see alot of people trying to exploit a trend for a quick buck. Image The concept has so much potential for helping us to better understand our companions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 5:04 am 

Has anyone here taken this up yet?<P><B>Dance competitors have two feet and four paws</B><BR>An AP story from The Detroit News <P><BR>DAVISBURG -- When Anna Schloff goes out dancing, she has to remember to bring dog treats. <BR>Schloff and her 10-year-old yellow Labrador Lacey will take on other canine-human dance teams beginning Friday in the World Canine Freestyle Organization's Motown Bow Wow Boogie, which runs through Monday at Springfield Oaks Activity Center. <BR>Schloff, a member of the Oakland County 4H Freestylers, said she has won several awards dancing with her dog. <P>"My kids are all in their 20s and they think their mother's crazy, if you want me to be honest," Schloff told The Oakland Press for a Friday story. "My husband, he does things like help at the competitions. He takes all the videos at the competitions. He doesn't dance yet. I haven't convinced him to do that yet." <P><A HREF="http://detnews.com/2002/metro/0205/25/metro-498949.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:28 am 

Hand me my gun:

Show date for dance dog
From This is Richmond (N.E. UK)

A DANCING dog who hit the headlines last week is set to wow crowds at a country fair this weekend.

Three-year-old Joshua, a rottweiler from Ravensworth, North Yorkshire, will appear at Lanchester Show, in County Durham, on Saturday and Sunday, after organisers read about him in The Northern Echo.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:53 am 

This one's about bears:

Quote:
India's dancing bears get a new lease of life in air-cooled dens

AFP

AGRA, India (AFP) - Damru and Bijli are active two-year-olds who love climbing trees, eating honey and bananas and investigating their surroundings, while Rasgolla and Gulab Jamun are too frightened to do anything but huddle in a corner. <a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030717/wl_sthasia_afp/india_wildlife_bears_030717050638 target=_blank>more on Yahoo</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:51 pm 

Yipee! They're coming to Dallas!

Finally, I can get some culture. :)

Among other competitions, in early November 2003:

"World Canine Freestyle Organization Championship -- Handlers set
obedience exercises to music where dog and handler teams create
exciting dance routines."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030808/nyfnsf01_1.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:22 pm 

LOL, MichaelB! It can't be that bad in Dallas...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:06 am 

Actually, Dallas has more arts and culture than most cities a tenth its size.

(To tell the truth, I like Dallas very much. For instance the social dance scene, if you're into that sort of thing, which I am.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:21 am 

:D

Quote:
Dancing goes to the dogs

Reuters on Yahoo
January 9, 2004

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - It has long been said that a dog is a man's best friend, but a Dutch dog trainer is taking the relationship one step further -- offering "doggy dancing" lessons to people wanting a canine dancing partner.

Ten owners and their dogs -- including a border collie and a German shepherd -- have signed up to learn to waltz, tango and boogie with Annette Helder at her training school in the northern Netherlands.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:20 am 

Quote:
Do the do-si-do with Fido

By ANDRE MOUCHARD
The Orange County Register
January 20, 2004

So the dancers have a radio on the driveway and warm clothes on their backs and several leashes.

Leashes?

Yes, leashes.

Plus some little hats and at least one very apropos poodle skirt and some bright shoes.

Patty Wiedeman surveys all this, twiddles with her boom box, and decides it's time.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:20 pm 

Folks, despite all our attempts to bring these practices to the attention of the powers that be, still it goes on:

Owners Dance With Dogs at Competition
By JOSEPH B. FRAZIER for Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. - The music swells and Annie Schlaff and her yellow Lab Danny slip into a lively cha-cha-cha. Across the room, straight-faced trainers reveal the finer points of dancing with dogs to about 50 attentive owners here for the second annual World Canine Freestyle Organization.

Despite Danny's obvious talents, it's not quite like waltzing ol' Brown-Eyes across the Roseland Ballroom. The canine freestyle organization it a "choreographed musical program" of animal and owner - a mixture of obedience, timing, music and sometimes costumes.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:55 pm 

Go to www.henry.martinez.net and click on "Best Trained Dog Ever!" under Top Videos. The video shows Carolyn Scott and her golden retriever Rookie turning in an unbelievable performance. Requires Windows Media Player. Alternate site: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.html
For more info about Carolyn and Rookie, see http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/4681373.html

<small>[ 28 April 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Freya ]</small>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next