public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Most Romantic Moment in Ballet?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:49 pm 

With Valentine's day upon us, any thoughts on the most romantic moment in ballet?

I am going say that the last three minutes of Swan Lake , at that exact moment when the you can hear the harp, then the strings, is THE romantic ( yet tragic ), moment in ballet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Most Romantic Moment in Ballet?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:14 pm 

Matthew, I agree about the apotheosis in "Swan Lake," especially in the San Francisco Ballet version, with Odette and Siegfried united after death -- underwater.

But that's in the old classics category. I'll have to think about the newer classics (such as "Romeo and Juliet") and come up with something from that category.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:11 am 

Actually, I find the first white act of "Swan Lake" more emotionally charged and romantic then the second. The second act of "Giselle" is VERY romantic to this day and a tough-minded mainly contemporary dance friend of mine talks about being "Giselled out" from all that emotion.

In the post-1950 rep, Kenneth Macmillan certainly had a way with romatic pdds, as did Cranko and the "mirror" pdd in his "Onegin" has much romantic magic, especially as it is imagined.

For contemporary/modern dance, romanticism is not a common theme, but Darshan Singh Bhuller's "Planted Seeds" has a fine, tragic duet where a couple from across the race divide love and die, as they try to escape Sarajevo. Kim Brandstrup is a UK contemporary/modern choreographer who enjoys narrative work and some of his pdds are emotionally charged.

Other thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:52 pm 

Stuart, I agree that as a whole, the 2nd act of "Swan Lake" is more romantic that the last. But the apotheosis in SFB's production affects me greatly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:11 am 

Maybe because I just saw it for the first time, but "Le Spectre de la Rose", especially with Herman Cornejo dancing was a wonderful Valentine's treat for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:15 pm 

I think "Dances at a Gathering" takes the palm for the most romantic hour in contemporary ballet -- the Chopin score, the nostalgia for lost innocence, friendships -- it has it all.

For the most incandescent moment of romanticism, I offer the second-act Divertissement from Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:20 am 

The country scene from Ashton's Marguerite and Armand, but only with Fonteyn and Nureyev dancing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:19 pm 

Driving home last night, I kicked myself for failing to mention the master treatment of romantic themes in contemporary ballet: Serenade.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:47 pm 

Speaking of romantic moments, from the SF Chronicle article yesterday on Muriel Maffre and Benjamin Pierce:

Quote:

"We were just in the beginning of our intimate relationship when we danced Christopher Wheeldon's pas de deux in 'Continuum,' " says Benjamin Pierce, former principal dancer of San Francisco Ballet, remembering one of his favorite moments onstage. His eyes never leave the finely etched features of the ballerina across the dining room table.

--snip--

"I was dancing with the woman I had fallen in love with," says Pierce quietly. "It was very, very intense."

[url=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/02/14/DDG23B9R9H1.DTL]
Read more[/url]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:29 am 

Another moment worthy of mention: the Pas de Deux to the Mendelssohn Nocturne in Ashton's "The Dream." Balanchine's setting of the identical music is ironically touching and affecting.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]