public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just moved to Silicon Valley
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 7:45 pm 

I posted this message on a different website, and someone suggested that I post it here:<P>Hi, I just moved to the Silicon Valley area, and I was wondering if any of you dance in this area. I'm 24 and I'm an intermediate ballet dancer. I started pointe in January.<P>I'm really looking for a studio where the teacher does individual corrections for the students. I've noticed in far too many 'adult' classes that the teachers don't bother to correct the students, and this really bugs me! Just because I'm older and may not have a *career* in dance doesn't mean I don't want to get better! I've found that for this reason, I usually get more out of taking class with the younger girls rather than with the adults (plus I look about 17, so I kind of fit in, hee hee). But not all studios are open to letting adults take 'non adult' classes.<P>Well, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Just moved to Silicon Valley
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:22 pm 

K8, welcome to criticaldance and thanks for dropping in (and also thanks to the friend who suggested it!).<P>This is by way of a holding message until our strong San Francisco/San Jose and environs team get on the case. Would it help to say which part of Silicon Valley you live in? From my visit a month ago, I know I'd want to spend as little time as possible on the highways round there. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 03, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:29 pm 

Hi, thanks for the welcome, Stuart! <P>Actually, it was Grace who directed me to this board (thanks, Grace!). I live in Sunnyvale, but I'm willing to drive to the surrounding cities (Mountain View, San Jose, Santa Clara, etc.). San Francisco is probably a bit too far, however.<P>Just a general comment: I've been looking at the posts here for the past 20 minutes or so, and I'm very impressed. This is a much more 'mature' board than some of the others I frequent!<p>[This message has been edited by K8 (edited August 04, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:44 pm 

K8, I have some information for you. I'll get back to you in a day or two. There are actually quite a few good ballet teachers here for adults.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:49 pm 

K8 - <P>It all depends on where you live (and how far you're willing to drive). ;> There is a fabulous adult ballet teacher who is exactly what you're looking for in Oakland. Her name is Beth Jahn Hoge, and her studio is called Danspace. If you go, tell her hi from Erika!<P>ET

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2000 8:58 pm 

Welcome to Silicon Valley, K8.<P>I get this question from time to time, and I've asked pro dancers in the Bay Area. Many of them have recommended the adult classes at Western Ballet in Mountain View. You should also check out classes at LINES San Francisco Dance Center in San Francisco. I've also heard the recommendation for the Oakland teacher that Erika has suggested.<P>Michael <A HREF="http://www.baydance.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.baydance.com</A> <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Michael (edited August 03, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 10:58 am 

Hi K8 and welcome !!!<BR>You may want to try:<BR>*Santa Clara Ballet (Cindy's class on Tue. and Thur.)<BR>*Western Ballet ( Mountain View -> Mark's class on Sat. morning)<BR>They are both very good classes.<BR>Regards and good luck !<BR>Cygnet<p>[This message has been edited by Cygnet (edited August 04, 2000).]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 5:41 pm 

Well, K8, do you have all the info you need now? Being in Sunnyvale, the easiest for you would be Santa Clara Ballet and Western Ballet. However, you may want to try them all to see which ones you like. There are a few others as well if you need more.<P>Thanks, guys, for helping out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 8:41 pm 

Thanks to everyone who replied -- I really appreciate the suggestions! I've tried a class at Western Ballet, and it wasn't really what I was looking for. However, I think the teacher was a sub, so I may go back in a couple of months.<P>You've all given me good suggestions, so I will follow up on those. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 4:38 pm 

i'd like to thank all you bay area people who helped here, too! it's just great, to see so many timely responses, where NONE of them are MINE!<P>oops, i just spoiled that, didn't i? Image<P>thanks everyone.

Profile E-mail