public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Degree in musical theatre dance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 1999 3:07 pm 

Hi! I am a teacher and I have a graduating senior dance student. She has a great singing voice for musical theatre, plus she is a really strong tap dancer, as well as being really good in ballet and modern. I am steering her in the direction of musical theatre/Broadway dance. What I am wanting to know is if anyone has any ideas of good college programs in musical theatre. I seem to remember that Carnegie-Mellon, Syracuse U., and Point Park have good programs, but since this area is not my specialty (I am more of a traditional concert modern/ballet dancer myself), I am a bit "out of the loop". Any ideas from anyone out there... I have a definite idea that her parents would like her to have a degree, rather than just got out there and "do it" right away. Thanks in advance for any information or feedback.PS. She would like to go a school in the Northeast or Northwest.<P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Degree in musical theatre dance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 1999 4:06 pm 

A degree in musical theatre/Broadway dance? Oh my. Hmm, let me ask around. I know of a person in a similar situation. Her parents actually pushed her in the direction of not going to college. They pushed her all the way to NYC where she takes class and auditions everyday. But then again, these parents of hers are a rare breed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 1999 5:30 pm 

Okay, I got one reply from a knowledgeable DanceWorld celebrity based in NYC: "To my knowledge, Carnegie Mellon has one of the best programs in musical theater in the country. Many Broadway performers graduated from there."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 1999 7:22 pm 

Hi Trina,<P>Speaking from experience, a degree would be a good idea for any dance student. One day the dancing stops and the degree really counts. I'm afraid I can't help with the where and how as I'm not from this country, but if you read all the US dance magazines: Dance Magazine, DanceSpirit, Dance Teacher, they should give you some clues.<P>Good luck with your search!<P>------------------<BR>JL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 1999 8:45 pm 

So, a friend of a friend "recommended Carnegie Mellon. She also thinks that Syracuse University and the University of Indiana have such programs. The American Musical and Dramaturg Academy in NY has a program - phone number 212-787-5300 or <A HREF="http://www.AMDA.edu" TARGET=_blank>http://www.AMDA.edu</A> The North Carolina School of the Arts may be an option <A HREF="http://www.ncarts.edu" TARGET=_blank>www.ncarts.edu</A> She also might try talking with Craig Slaight at ACT's young conservatory. He's on top of the musical theater scene as well."<P>Additionally, the friend also said "that at one point ACT was considering a specialty in musical theater" but thinks that Carey Perloff killed it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2000 10:46 am 

Why is a degree required for dance? Pursuing education prevents a dancer from concentrating on practice practice practice. To be noticed long enough to make the cut in Broadway, you have to focus on the auditions. Studying takes time away from dancing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 6:58 am 

trina, if its not 'too late', this being an 'old' discussion thread..., and if the idea isn't too wacky, me being a long way away from you...<P>you MAY be interested to know that the west australian academy of performing arts at edith cowan university in perth, western australia, has a good musical theatre degree course, which HAS produced successfully working professional graduates.<P>i'm sure your senior isn't wanting to travel THIS far at this stage, but maybe might want to look into any possibility of an exchange program a bit further down the line?<P>the relevant website is <A HREF="http://www-waapa.ecu.edu.au/disc/musthea.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www-waapa.ecu.edu.au/disc/musthea.htm</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 12:31 pm 

Update-the original student who prompted my question is auditioning at Oklahoma City University. Apparently, within US academia, this school has one of the best programs in musical theatre and tap dance in the country. I have heard this from several people over a period of years. Jo Rowan, director of the program, has an excellent reputation in the field.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 8:57 pm 

Now, this all brings up a question. Does a degree help? How?<P>Hmm, maybe I should start a new thread.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 9:01 pm 

I started a new thread on this topic---"Training a Dancer-Degree vs. Professional Training"--check it out!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 9:55 pm 

azlan - the short answer: its not that a degree 'helps' - its that, for one thing, (in australia) you can get government subsidies & living allowance to study in a degree program (and some others, but not just ANY dance course), and also that a degree at least reassures parents and realistic-minded youngsters that they do have a basic education and a springboard for further education down the line when they have to move on from dance into another career...

Profile E-mail