public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Dance Simulation Game
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 11:44 pm 

<B>Making Moves</B><BR>Arcade Dance Games Links Teen Cultures<BR>By Min Lee in Asian Week<P><BR>The Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) sweeping across many American arcades and living rooms is becoming a showcase for young dance talent.<P>At first glance, DDR looks like just another video game. But when someone steps up to the platform and the music begins, you realize there’s a lot more to it than just arrows and dancing.<P>DDR has brought video games into dance culture. That’s the revolutionary part of the Dance Dance Revolution.<P><A HREF="http://www.asianweek.com/2002_01_11/opinion_voices.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><P><BR><B>Stuart</B> adds: I wonder if anyone has combined ballet steps with the game yet?<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 13, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 3:41 pm 

And then there is this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Britney Spears Gets Her Groove On In New Videogame<P>Launch Music on Yahoo! News<P>(5/9/02, 6 p.m. ET) -- Britney Spears is the star of the new PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) videogame Britney's Dance Beat, which is now available nationwide.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/020509/143/1inhk.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:41 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Virtual Dancing <BR>Global marketing decisions threaten high-stepping fans of imported music games<P>Carrie Kirby, Chronicle Staff Writer <P>Sixteen-year-old Aaron Cheng could be the savior of the video game arcade industry, if it's not beyond salvation. Three times a week, his mother drives him 11 miles from San Bruno to Fisherman's Wharf so he can feed quarters into a machine that's inspired the world's first computerized dance craze: Dance Dance Revolution.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/07/22/BU239972.DTL" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:32 pm 

Quote:
Programs: Dance Games Miss a Beat on Grace

By Gene Emery

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Reuters) - Before we examine "Britney's Dance Beat" video game, let's have a look at my own qualifications as a candidate for backup dancer. more

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:50 pm 

What next? The American Idol video game? Oops, spoke too soon:

Quote:
'American Idol' Video Game Coming for Fall

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Want to be a singing star, but tired of making the shower your stage? <a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030403/media_nm/media_americanidol_videogame_dc_1 target=_blank>more</a> on Yahoo!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:00 am 

Groove armada
Do you think you could pull off a 360 Degree Disaster or a Matrix Walk? Rhianna Pratchett for The Guardian gets into the rhythm of the legions of dance gamers invading arcades all over the country.

'It's an addiction and I have to feed it. The first time I played, I was hooked," admits 19-year-old gamer Winson Ting. On reading that, you may be picturing the speaker as pallid and unhealthy, with poor hygiene and knotted muscles from too many days and nights spent hunched over his keyboard or gamepad. You probably won't be imagining Ting as a skilled athlete who trains regularly, wins tournaments and entertains crowds with a blend of break dancing and hip-hop moves. But that's exactly what he is, thanks to Konami's game Dance Dance Revolution and the European version, Dancing Stage. What has become a gaming phenomenon in Japan is now taking over arcades and homes in the UK, bringing dance to the people.

The premise of Dancing Stage is simple. The player stands on a metal or plastic platform with four sensors: up, down, left and right, and mimics scrolling arrows that appear on the screen with their feet in time with the music.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:47 am 

Quote:
Do you wanna dance?
Dance Dance Revolution arcade game draws young players to master fancy footwork
and make new friends

Mandy Jenkins
Cincinnati Enquirer

A crowd gathers around the two teens dancing furiously on a machine in the Eastgate Mall arcade. <a href=http://cincinnati.com/freetime/weekend/082203_ddr.html target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:17 pm 

Originally posted by Stuart:

<hr>

It's official - it's good for you:

Don't stop moving
Rhythm action games are increasing in popularity - and they're good for you, too, says Rhianna Pratchett for The Guardian

If you are a parent worried that your son or daughter is spending too much time sitting in front of their games console, you can inject a little exercise into their life by giving them a rhythm action game.
This kind of game first appeared in 1997, when Sony released PaRappa the Rapper. The idea was that the player copied on-screen images by pushing buttons in time to the music.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:54 pm 

From the SJ Mercury News.

Quote:
New video games exercise more than thumbs
By NICK WADHAMS
Associated Press

Behold: It teaches rhythm and timing. It gets kids exercising and encourages them to hang out and jaw with their pals. Do not be afraid. It is a video game.

Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix, the fifth in the DDR line from Konami and first for the Xbox, is a video game so unlike any other it deserves to be called something entirely different.

"Ultramix" works like this: You choose a song to dance to, then follow a scrolling series of arrows which tell you whether to press left, right, forward or back on the included dance pad, a psychotic, devious and beguilingly simple version of the twister mat. Get used to the thing. In the hours and days ahead, it will cause you furious rage and the most satisfying ecstasy.
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:00 am 

Men find their feet dancing with a computer
By Stefanie Marsh for The Times

TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire. That, or “having some kind of psychotic episode”, volunteered a youth from behind the wheel of a flight simulator.

The consensus among other gamers at the Namco arcade in London was that whatever this man was doing, he must have been out of his head drunk to pluck up the nerve.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:02 am 

From the Contra Costa Times,

Quote:
Video game fans dance off extra pounds

By ANITA CHANG

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Forget the image of paunchy video gamers holed up in a dark room, surrounded by sticky Twinkie wrappers and empty soda cans.
Click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:57 pm 

I know I'm a bit late to get into the main discussion here, but I'd just like to note that all of my friends who tap are good to insanely good at Dance Dance Revolution. I guess it makes sense that they at least have the foot movements down pretty well. However, I consider "dance" video games, and to some extent tap to be slightly lesser forms of dance, because when all's said and done, tap's origins lie in having the rest of the body do something while the dancer is singing (or so is my unsupported opinon), and I don't think I really need to say anything about the games.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:20 pm 

Well, I have seen some guys do some pretty amazing things dancing with this video game. I have seen back flips, knee turns, pirouettes (usually a double because of the speed of the music), tours, etc... Granted, its nothing that resembles a trained technically proficient dancer, but more of a street flavor, which I actually would rather see. I like how the attitude on this board seems to take the negative when something dance related enters the scene that is out of the ordinary and not classic. Poor balletomanes, can't you see the end is near? Its a digital age.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:26 am 

And here's a side benefit of a dance video game:

Quote:
Video game helps dance away obesity

By Allison Barker
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Contra Costa Times

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Like many other 11-year-old boys, K.D. Jones loves sports. But at 5 feet, 175 pounds, he found his weight and his asthma an obstacle. <a href=http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/living/health/11401387.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Schools are now getting on board
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:42 pm 

From the SF Chronicle.

Quote:
Video dance game to be used in schools
West Virginia taps Konami's system to help fight obesity

Ryan Kim, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

West Virginia officials are hoping a revolution can head off an epidemic of childhood obesity.

State and school officials there have struck a partnership with Redwood City's Konami Digital Entertainment Inc. to use its Dance Dance Revolution in all of its 765 public schools, Konami announced today. The innovative plan, the first statewide program to employ the dance video game, is intended to attack West Virginia's youth obesity problem.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3