All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Les 7 doigts de la main/7 Fingers of the Hand
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:24 pm 

From the SF Weekly.

Quote:
Handy Dandy
A seven-person circus troupe puts on a dazzling, surprisingly coherent show
BY KAREN MCKEVITT

The modern circus 7 Fingers is one of those rare multidisciplinary shows in which the individual parts actually cohere, creating a visually rich evening of entertainment, wonder, and a bit of intellectualism. Created by the Canadian troupe Les 7 Doigts de la Main and presented by the Circus Center San Francisco in this U.S. premiere, the performance combines circus, theater, dance, live music, comedy, and poetry. Call it fusion cuisine for the eyes and ears -- fun and complex.
The main ingredient in this dish is the apple, with all its connotations. Eve tempted Adam with the crimson orb, and the pair were tossed out of paradise; an apple bonked Newton on the head, prompting his discovery of a fundamental law of physics. In 7 Fingers, it launches the company into an exploration of gravity, space, and relationships -- even love. Tempting an audience member with the fruit, performer Gypsy Snider says, "Once you eat the apple, it will never be the same again." Setting aside basic grammar, you can decide if the "it" is the apple, the "you," or the performance.
more...

<small>[ 21 March 2005, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Admin ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Les 7 doigts de la main/7 Fingers of the Hand
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:20 am 

A friend of mine gave a big thumbs up to 7 Fingers at the Palace of Fine Arts. Here’s what he said about the show:

Quote:
I highly recommend Seven Fingers, a new -- and affordable! – circus from Canada (with a couple of local people) which is playing its last shows this weekend at the Palace of Fine Arts. Hilarious clown routines, fantastic circus skills, brilliant choreography, and even a number in which they juggle didgeridoos while playing them!
There are shows at 2 pm and 8 pm Saturday – that’s it. I know nothing about availability of tickets.

<small>[ 03 January 2004, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:35 am 

Oh, this was wonderful! If 7 Fingers (or Les 7 doigts de la main) comes to your town, don't miss it.

I recognized a few faces: SF's Shana Carroll and Gypsy Snider, and the grown-up Isabelle Chassé, whom I had last seen when she was in the girls' contortionist quartet in Cirque du Soleil's Saltimbanco.

Karen McKevitt's review in the first post pretty much says everything that I felt about the performance, so please read it. I’ll just add that I loved how they handled the announcement about cell phones, and the late arrivals. I also want to mention a refreshing change from circuses I’ve seen before. There’s usually at least one act with a female performer who is meant to be appreciated for her beauty and sensuality, as well as her impressive strength and agility. The women of 7 Fingers are all presented this way at some point. But this was the first time I’ve seen a male circus performer in this light. The tone of Samuel Tétreault’s hand balancing act is set by a video of him swimming -– and partially disrobing -- underwater, and the balancing act continues that beautiful, weightless, fluid quality. I was not surprised when I read afterward that he has a background in dance.

The SF performances are the last ones listed on the company’s whimsical website (www.les7doigtsdelamain.com), so keep an eye out for this group.

<small>[ 04 January 2004, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:39 am 

Quote:
Seven wonders of a human circus

by ROBYN McLEAN
www.stuff.co.nz

While they were initially nervous about breaking away on their own, the group has been well supported by the critics with one describing the show as "fusion cuisine for the eyes and ears, fun and complex".
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:10 am 

Quote:
A quick word with Les 7 doigts de la main

by REBECCA BARRY
the New Zealand Herald

The brochure says you're roommates confined to one space. What exactly do you do?

DJ Pocket: There's no clear and normal story. But it's like we're living together, and if you talked about what we did last night we'd have three different stories. It's not a reality show but an over-reality show - we're quite unbelievable in what we're doing.
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:14 pm 

Quote:
The 7 Fingers
by HILARY CRAMPTON for the Age

While these performers are from Cirque du Soleil, the presentation is entirely different - casual, with an endearing, yet exquisitely precise clumsiness.

published: August 11, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail