public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Flamenco
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 3:08 am 

I enjoy Tango shows a lot and usually see them when they come to London, but I do view Flamenco in a different light. It can be used as a form of popular dance in Fiesta pieces; great soloists can bring their own spin to the art; and as with the Gades Company it can be used as a dance drama form. The film of Gades' 'Blood Wedding' is one of the best dance films in any style.<P>Just to push things along, here is a review of a Flamenco show built around the guitarist Paco Pena, which I saw in London this year. It tried to do something different, which didn't quite come off, but a great dance evening in any case.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_99/mar99/ss_rev_pena_0299.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_99<BR>/mar99/ss_rev_pena_0299.htm</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 31, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Flamenco
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 6:08 am 

Has anyone seen Jaouqine Cortez? (butchered the spelling of his name?) I saw his show in London about 2 years ago....WOW....He didn't do the traditional style Flamenco show. It was more like a rock concert for Spanish dance. I really loved it as the form of the performance was not so staid. The corps girls wore updated costumes by Armani. I think it brought more people to see Flamenco than ever before. He also danced on the Academy Awards here last year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 10:26 am 

Was this like a flamenco version of River Dance?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 10:29 am 

I suppose I have to learn more about flamenco. I saw a Maria Benitez performance a long time ago and enjoyed only the first half hour of it. After that, I got antsy. Maybe, it's best if it were part of a bigger show that also had other types of dance. Or perhaps different flamenco styles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 11:12 am 

Lucy<P>I have seen Joaquin Cortez, isn't he the best? He has created a new style, and I believe it is called "new flamenco", and it's the equivalent of modern ballet in flamenco. I really admire him for staying true to the gypsy traditions while stretching his art to where it had never been before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 4:02 pm 

Cygnet <BR>What ever it is called that man has a presence! Wow! Yes I guess that it could be seen as a Spanish Riverdance, but what ever it takes to get the new dance viewing audience in I say do it. Just like Billboards. If it opens eyes and makes people want to see more, well that is a good thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 6:12 pm 

posted by <B>basheva</B>:<P>What looks like an interesting event in Flamenco - <I> at <A HREF="http://www.newyorktoday.com" TARGET=_blank>www.newyorktoday.com</A> suggestion: then use the search feature and key in Rioja.</I><P>~this post edited by grace due to long URL - sorry this one can't be printed as a link!~<BR> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 3:00 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>if a trip to Seville is not in your immediate future, the next best thing may be an evening at Meany Theater with Noche Flamenca. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com:80/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?slug=noch18&date=20001118" TARGET=_blank>http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com:80/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/d isplay?slug=noch18&date=20001118</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 2:04 pm 

And here is the P-I review of Noche Flamenca:<BR> <A HREF="http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/classical/nocheq.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/classical/nocheq.shtml</A> <P>I attended last Thursday evening's performance and am generally in agreement with Mr. Campbell's assessment. I would add that in acoustically desirable venues (e.g., Meany Hall) as opposed to outdoor festival settings (e.g., Hollywood Bowl, Ravinia, Wolf Trap, all listed on the company's touring schedule), electronic amplification should be rendered superfluous...indeed, a net liability. Everything was amplified...singing, guitars, and the stage floor. I sat through this bit of aural overkill in deference to my love of the art. But, I find the aural assault to be antithetical to flamenco, which should lead both the dancer and the audience into a rapturous trance. No chance of that here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 4:43 pm 

Francis - I can sympathize with that aural assault completely. I have posted that problem a number of times.<P>There is a wonderful place in San Diego called Cafe Seville - downstairs in the Gas Lamp Quarter - in a grotto. True flamenco reigns supreme as does great paella. Let's go Francis - and we can initiate Azlan. He will never be the same.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 5:10 pm 

For your information, Basheva, I have enjoyed paella in Barcelona.<P>But bringing us back to the topic, I believe Joaquin Cortez will be on TV in December.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 9:08 am 

Cafe Seville sounds wonderful, Basheva.<P>I note from the biographies that Bruno Argento spent a year with Victor Ullate's company in Madrid. Several aspects of his solo Farruca were replete with ballet-derived sections. Never have I before seen fast, multiple pirouettes, leaps that nearly became jetes, etc., in a flamenco performance. One of the women's solos began with a deep, "Grahamesque" plie a la seconde (back to the audience, spotlit profile) that bespoke Modern Dance in an unaccustomed way at a flamenco performance. Perhaps these are gestures toward "new flamenco" (something more theatrical than the traditional version)?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 3:44 pm 

Here's the link to the Cortez topic. Opinions varied greatly among the London critics. <P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000030.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000030.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 9:05 pm 

I think Joaquin Cortes' style is great, but it IS very different; and I can understand why people, especially traditional flamenco dancers are offended by him..(infact, he never calls his style "flamenco" in Pasion Guitana so i don't think this is a good topic name in which he is under) <BR>I have to agree that he does have LOTS of charisma though.. (I don't know about the whole sexy thing.. Image I only like him when he is on stage)and the Armani costumes are GREAT!!<BR>Azlan; what tv and what program??<BR>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 9:15 pm 

purple, it's on Ovation TV in the US:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Gypsy Passion: The Making of Joaquín Cortés<BR>The sexiest Spanish icon since Antonio Banderas, Joaquín Cortés is hot property. In this film, the dancer talks openly about his early life, his desire to dance and the rejections he suffered when no one would take him seriously. Today, however, all this has changed. Cortés is seen as a groundbreaking visionary with incredible talent. A dancer, model and film star, he began studying flamenco at the age of seven and classical ballet at twelve. He also spent six years with the Spanish National Ballet before embarking on his solo career. High School. Dance. 01 * TV PG <P>Next Showing:<P><BR>Monday, December 18, 2000 - 6:00:00 PM<P>Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 8:00:00 PM<P>Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 12:00:00 AM<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next