public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Irish dance
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 5:31 am 
Tobi Tobias reviews in this week's New York Magazine the Irish step-dancing show "Dancing on Dangerous Ground".<BR> <A HREF="http://www.newyorkmag.com/page.cfm?page_id=2560" TARGET=_blank>http://www.newyorkmag.com/page.cfm?page_id=2560</A>

Post subject: Re: Irish dance
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2000 11:09 am 

Another Irish dance thing?!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:36 am 

Sarah Kaufman of the Washington Post writes about a collaboration between bluegrass composer Tim O'Brien and Irish dancer Eileen Carson:<P><A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46424-2001Feb23.html" TARGET=_blank><B>The Washngton Post article</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 3:19 pm 

It was my understanding that "Dancing on Dangerous Ground" is defunct and has been since at least last August when I was in Ireland and a friend of Colin Dunne's then remarked on its demise. Colin lost millions of his own money on the project. It appears that the article you've posted here was written back in April 2000. I never got to see the performance, but truthfully I'm glad because, although I'm a great fan of both Colin Dunne and Jean Butler, I'd like to see them in something that doesn't rehash old Irish myths. Both are really fine Irish dancers, and I believe that Jean also has some other dance background. I'd love to see a wholly new performance, something that doesn't have any shades of Riverdance to it. I hope they continue dancing together - they have great chemistry onstage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 3:20 pm 

Oops, silly me. The original post here IS from April 2000. I missed that somehow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 4:33 pm 

Thanks for the update, anyhow, JM.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 6:00 am 

One positive aspect of Michael Flatley:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Irish dance classes proliferate<BR></B><P>`RIVERDANCE' GROUNDSWELL HELPED ENROLLMENT ACCELERATE RAPIDLY <P>ANITA AMIRREZVANI, San Jose Mercury News<P>Two San Jose dance teachers who never thought they'd be able to quit their day jobs say they want to thank a famous man with fast feet for their success.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/irish8.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 7:22 am 

WEll, it's true. We DO have Flatley to thank. I've stated it before, but the popularity of Irish dance has also created all kinds of new dilemmas for dancing teachers. Previously, our students, mostly of Irish heritage, once enrolled, would continue to dance for many years. Nowadays though, Irish dance is often just another of the various extra-curriculars that kids of all backgrounds try. It takes getting used to.<P>Another area that really does bother me is the expense of it all. I feel as though Irish dance is heading toward becoming only an endeavor for the well-off. Solo costumes are outrageously expensive, well up into the high hundreds or even $1000 -$1500. Combine that with hard shoes that cost over $100, ghillies that need frequent replenishing (and if you're buying the Hullachan Pros, that's another $75 per pair), and we've outpriced many families. You can't get a class costume for under $400 in most cases. Our school has struggled to make Irish dance affordable for kids of low to middle income parents. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:46 pm 

as an irish dancer i can definitely affirm that its costs are ridiculously high. as i began college i had to cut down on class time, and i could no longer afford the expensive trips and fees for competitions, plus the hotel bills and meals that go along with a weekend competition. the costumes are outrageously expensive and most of them quite hideous. fleuorescents (sp?), ridiculous amounts of glitter, sequins, and lace have tackied up what could be some rather elegant costuming. in general, my favorite part about riverdance were some of the women's costumes, similar to ballet rehearsal outfits. a leotard, and a simple skirt, it makes it easier to see all of the lines, and properly adds to the airiness that irish dancing posesses in ladies' soft shoe dances. i hope to find a studio or other outlet for performing and practicing when i am studying in london next year, however i fear that money (and naturally time) could once again be a problem. if anyone has any suggestions on the matter, input would be greatly appreciated. <P>in dance,<BR>lauren

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:16 am 

Danzcrayz, I think this is a uniquely American phenomenon. It happens to any genre that becomes popular in the US. Riding a bike, for example, now costs ten times as much as it does in London! To ride a bike in the US, you have to buy the shock-absorbent shoes, the aerodynamic helmet, the sweat-reducing shirt, and so on and so forth. In dance, you have a myriad of dancewear and gear to choose from. The choices are mind-boggling.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:39 am 

Azlan, to a certain degree, it's true that it's an American phenomenon. I know that Irish dance lessons with at least one high profile teacher (a member of the Int'l Irish Dance Commission) over in Ireland are very inexpensive compared to lessons here in the States. He's considered one of the best teachers of Irish dance in the world and yet his fees are very modest.<P>But the costumes, wigs, shoes etc. are equally expensive in Ireland. And a lot of the extra, unnecessary Irish dance gear now being sold in the USA are also being marketed in Ireland. <P>What bothers me is the impression given that all of this is a necessary part of Irish dance. There are teachers who've so bought into this culture that they insist a dancer can't place well in competition without the latest costume and wig which supposedly maintain the tradition of Irish dance. Believe me, nowhere in Irish dance history is there a tradition of wearing fluorescent, gaudy dresses whose front skirt sticks out like a piece of cardboard. And the wigs are out of control. These girls look ridiculous. I've a number of books with photos of old Irish dance costumes and most of the girls have straight hair! A few were in natural ringlets.<P>I'd hoped Riverdance costumes with their simple elegance would overtake the current craze but, although there were a couple years where it seemed possible, I'd say that the gaudiness, even trashiness, in Irish dance costuming is more entrenched than ever.<P>Our school's decided to buck the trend and instead hired a costume designer from outside of Irish dance to create our new school costume. It has a circle skirt, minus the stiffness, and only a little Celtic embroidery. No fluorescent colors. It's affordable. Our dancers compete without wigs. Most of them wear their hair in French braids; my daughter competes with her hair in a bun. The dancers at the championship level have their own solo dresses and it seems that most have chosen to buy used costumes from before the gaudiness took over. They place quite well despite their more old-fashioned costumes. I wish more schools would make this kind of statement. Everyone seems afraid that to do so would risk their dancers' chances at a feis, but our school's history shows that solid dancing wins out every time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:11 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Our school's decided to buck the trend and instead hired a costume designer from outside of Irish dance to create our new school costume. It has a circle skirt, minus the stiffness, and only a little Celtic embroidery. No fluorescent colors. It's affordable. Our dancers compete without wigs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Good for you, JM! Now, if we could do the same in every thing else...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:09 am 

Well it's certainly the case in modern dance in the UK, where there is no money for anything much!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 1:13 am 

<B>Family develops dancing talents</B><BR>By Diana Mills in New Utah<P> <BR>All parents hope their children will be extremely talented and hugely successful, but be assured that most of those parents have no clue as to the sacrifices that will be required by the family to get them there. The John and Connie Roberts family of Highland know exactly what it takes.<P>When twin daughters Naomi and Arielle were five and a half years old they began taking Irish dancing lessons from a talented and eager teacher who flew out to Salt Lake City from Colorado each week to teach. Mom began the weekly drive to classes.<P>This was long before “Riverdance” had resurrected the Celtic style of dancing to sold-out audiences all over the world. <P><A HREF="http://www.newutah.com/16326.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:21 am 

<B>It's time to get Irish</B> <BR>By Anthony Mangiafico/Post Editor (Connecticut)<BR> <BR> <BR>They say that everybody's Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Well, in North Haven, everyone's Irish on June 22 and 23, the days of the Connecticut Irish Festival. <P>The festival is held on the North Haven Fairgrounds on Washington Avenue and features Irish step dancing, an Irish shopping village, children's activities, Gaelic games and much, much more. <P>The festival boasts the largest Irish Dance competition in Connecticut and features dancers from throughout the Northeastern United States. <P>The Irish American Community Center in East Haven sponsors the festival. <P><A HREF="http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=4405196&BRD=1638&PAG=461&dept_id=9364&rfi=6" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail