public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paul Taylor film - "Dancemaker"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 7:17 pm 

Did anyone see, on pubic television the documentary film about Paul Taylor called "Dancemaker", directed by Matthew Diamond? I saw it on pubic television this past Weds. night! I actually saw the world premiere of it in Seattle at the Seattle Film Festival I think two years ago. Paul Taylor was actually at the world premiere and answered questions about it, along with the director, who was also there-very exciting! Anyway... I highly recommend the film, if anyone can get a chance to see it on TV or in a theater. It is very well, nominated for an Oscar, I believe, for best documentary.The director is a former dancer and choregrapher himself, so he really "gets" modern dance. It is a behind the scenes look at the current company, the choreographic process, and some of the trials of life as a modern dancer: the AIDS epidmeic, life on tour (in this case, India), rehearsal, the economic realities, the competitive aspects of the "profession" it's all there, shown in a realistic, non-sentimental way. Check it out!! There is also a great autobiographic book of Paul Taylor's life which I also recommend "Private Domain".

<small>[ 22 January 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Paul Taylor film - "Dancemaker"
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2000 4:58 am 

Many thanks Trina for the very interesting comments on the film and the book. It's helpful for us in the UK as, from memory, the Paul Taylor company are coming to London later in the year.<P>I can well believe that hearing the Director and PT talk about the film was a fascinating experience. I would strongly recommend to anyone interested in dance that they take any opportunity to hear talks by dancers and choreographers. My experience is that they can be just as interesting as seeing the dance itself and can enhance the dance-going experience as well. <P>I went to a Kenneth MacMillan Insight Evening at the ROH last night and that was excellent. I hope to have the time to write it up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2000 2:17 pm 

Trina, I loved Dancemaker!!! I saw it twice last year when it made its rounds through Bay Area theaters. I am so happy that PBS aired it.

The part that gave me goosebumps was when the sound went out during a performance of The Offering in India. Wasn't it awesome that they were on count, as an ensemble, when the speakers came back on minutes later?

Also, it was very enlightening to get into the mind of Taylor himself, taking a peek into his childhood and what shaped him.

BTW, both Patrick Corbin and Matthew Diamond were on a live chat at Voice of Dance last year. Here is a link to the transcript:

click here

<small>[ 22 January 2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2000 6:26 pm 

It's a terrific film that gives more than a little peek at what goes into Paul Taylor dancing. It expanded my comprehension of modern dance as a whole, and my appreciation for dancers all the more. <P>The scene that Azlan referred to, of the unfazed dancers not missing a beat without the music, impressed me to no end. <P>The movie also makes plain that the demands Paul Taylor places on his dancers are very formidable, and it makes me wonder. I know a retired PT dancer who has lost ALL interest in dance since she left the company some years ago. I can't help wondering where that detachment came from.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 01-10-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 2:23 pm 

Michael-good point about the demands that Paul Taylor places on his dancers. The reason I loved the movie is that it showed him "warts and all", was honest, and gave a BALANCED portrait of him and the company. Having been in the modern dance world in New York for five years, I think that his demands are about average for a modern or ballet company, in this country, anyway. Don't really know what it's like in Europe. The section on Christopher Gillis was especially poignant for me; I studied at the PT school in the mid-eighties and he (Chris Gillis) was one of my teachers there. A more wonderful, charming, charismatic person there never was. And talented..truly a loss to the dance world. The film brought back a lot of memories for me...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 8:43 pm 

trina, yes, the Gillis segment was poignant. Also, what was terrifying was the list of the names they rolled off.<P>On another point, I was amazed at how close the dancers let Director Matthew Diamond get, especially when he followed Patrick Corbin into the shower.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 7:45 pm 

Quick note on Matthew Diamond. He used to be a modern dancer and had his own company in New York in the early 80's. Anyway, he quit dancing and directed a TV soap opera for several years-"The Guiding Light", or one of those. Obviously he combines all these skills in "Dancemaker". It takes someone who knows dance in a very intimate way to have made that film, both on a technical level and getting the very heart, or essence of Paul Taylor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2000 10:52 am 

Does anyone know if Matthew Diamond is producing another documentary?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2000 1:41 pm 

Yes, I printed that off my computer internet nytimes site. I'm fascinated that he's doing a piece called "Arabesque" to music by Debussy. Sounds very "impressiony." I hope I get to see it soon!! Taylor has been one of my favorite choreographers through the years; though I have to say I've been somewhat disappointed by his recent works...oh well; his next piece could always be a masterpiece.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2000 3:08 pm 
I actually saw Paul Taylor's newest piece Arabesque in its Paris season in January, and loved it. Here is my review. <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_00/feb00/kn_rev_taylor_0100.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_00/feb00/kn_rev_taylor_0100.htm</A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited 03-02-2000).]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2000 7:40 pm 

Kevin, what was the new piece "Arabesque" like? In the NY times article, Taylor says it is one of his "darker" pieces. What about the lead dancer-Silvia Nevjinska--how did she do--do tell all!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2000 10:35 pm 
Well, Trina, there's not much more I can say besides what I wrote in my review. The main soloist Nevjinsky has an exotic look, and her dancing was fluid. I interpreted this new work Arabesque as a homage to the Greek classical age. It was an idyllic "ballet blanc" to me. I didn't find anything "dark" in it as suggested by Taylor in the interview, but I suppose I can only get the dark layers after more viewings. I do love Paul Taylor's choreography. Taylor is probably my favourite modern dance choreographer due to his supreme musicality and his perceptive view of the dark and bright sides of humanity.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 9:27 pm 

I like Nevjinsky' exotic look. I have no idea what her heritage is, if anyone can project an image of exoticism, it's her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2000 11:40 pm 

Image <P>A preview of 'Dancemaker', the TV programme on Paul Taylor. Michael Church, understandably, is a big fan of Taylor:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As the generous extracts in the film show, he stands for a rare combination of qualities: eloquence with economy of gesture; showmanship with rigour; and an extraordinary capacity to conjure up serenity, terror, and infectiously riotous fun. If a classic is defined as an endlessly transplantable piece, then he has created scores: 65 companies to date have performed his works.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P> <A HREF="http://www.arts.scotsman.com/cfm/theatre/headlines_specific.cfm?rankuniqueid=102" TARGET=_blank>http://www.arts.scotsman.com/cfm/theatre/headlines_specific.cfm?rankuniqueid=102</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:01 pm 

Wow--"Dancemaker's" going to be shown on television!! What a treat! I recently saw a preview for this (it's come out on video here in the States)and was reminded what a great documentary it is!!

Profile E-mail