public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ronald K. Brown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:40 am 

Ron Brown is unquestionably phenomenal. Does anyone know what projects he's working on now?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:02 am 

Vanderbilt offers Evidence that African rhythms meld with American dance
By ROSE EICHENBAUM for The Tennessean

Dancer-choreographer Ronald K. Brown brings his dance company, Evidence, to Langford Auditorium Friday and Saturday as part of the Great Performances at Vanderbilt series.

The rhythms of Africa meet American modern dance in Ronald K. Brown/Evidence, a dance company performing a pair of concerts this week at Langford Auditorium as part of the Great Performances at Vanderbilt series.

A Brooklyn native, Brown is the founder of Evidence, which combines influences from American sources (such as Alvin Ailey, whose company has performed Brown's work) as well as several from contemporary African dance.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:27 am 

A preview in Philadelphia:

Quote:
African dancing, from ritual to realities

By Miriam Seidel
For The Inquirer

It's not just great dancing that makes Ronald K. Brown's work so exciting. The Brooklyn-born Brown has absorbed the lessons of African dance, with its grounding in ritual, to make contemporary dance that is historically resonant and emotionally powerful. <a href=http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/5520992.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:23 pm 

Eva Yaa Asantewaa in the Village Voice:

Quote:
Ronald K. Brown/Evidence first took a turn down Dirt Road: Morticia Supreme's Revue in 1994. <a href=http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0321/footnotes.php target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:10 am 

Quote:
Brown's dance, 'Come Ye,' stirs

By CLAUDIA LA ROCCO
Associated Press

NEW YORK - At times joyous and relaxed, at times defiant and almost militaristic, Ronald K. Brown's new "Come Ye" moves between the sacred and the profane.

At Tuesday night's world premiere of the stirring work, the Ronald K. Brown/Evidence dance company delivered the characteristic blend of Western African and modern dance that has generated so much buzz over the past few years.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:51 am 

Quote:
A Memorial's Sadness Fades as It Becomes a Healing Elegy

By ANNA KISSELGOFF
The New York Times

For Ronald K. Brown, energy exists to uplift the spirit, and variations on this idea have made him one of the major modern-dance choreographers to emerge in the last 10 years.

The New York premiere of "For You," a solo magnificently danced by Mr. Brown, and "Come Ye," a new company work set to Nina Simone's recordings, are typical: both suggest a spiritual quest. So do two earlier pieces on the program, to be presented through Sunday at the Joyce Theater by the Ronald K. Brown/Evidence company.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:55 pm 

This was the first time I had seen Ronald K. Brown and his company. What you hear and what you see is infectious and when I spilt out on to the streets of NYC from the Joyce Theater, I didn't want to go back to my hotel - I wanted to go out and dance. Now isn't that a testimony to Brown's success? (Particularly as I had something approaching terminal jetlag.)

Notwithstanding Kisselgoff's praise for Brown's solo, "For you," a New York premiere, I found it the weakest part of the programme. It falls into my "poor use of the floor" category. I am not a fan of over-use of the floor and dragging yourself along it should be used sparingly and not repeated like a chorus refrain. I wasn't sure what Brown was trying to achieve beyond out-dancing his own dancers and distinguishing himself from their talent.

The rest of the programme I enjoyed, particularly the opening piece "High Life" where dancers traverse the stage in line reflecting the song in the background. The whole evening has energy and purpose and I admire that kind of devotion in a company. I have seen far too many languid contemporary works in London recently where dancers dribble across the stage with no real conviction, leaving me cold and indifferent.

I will look forward to Brown's trip to London imminently as part of the HIP Festival.

HIP Festival London

<small>[ 27 October 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Emma Pegler ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:06 pm 

Quote:
Originally posted by Emma Pegler:
What you hear and what you see is infectious and when I spilt out on to the streets of NYC from the Joyce Theater, I didn't want to go back to my hotel - I wanted to go out and dance. Now isn't that a testimony to Brown's success? (Particularly as I had something approaching terminal jetlag.)
Unfortunately, the rest of us were too exhausted to entertain our visiting glamorous London jetsetter.

I have seen this company a few times now to feel like I have seen the same works repeated over and over again never mind that two on this program were premieres. Nevertheless, I agree with Emma in that the high energy was infectious. Having to fight off drowsiness at other ballet and modern dance performances all week due to jetlag, I found myself awake and attentive through all four of Brown's works Saturday night.

<small>[ 28 October 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:41 am 

Yes, hte company insists on your attention.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:06 am 

Quote:
Sex From Seville, and the Same Old Same Old From Brooklyn

By EVA YAA ASANTEWAA
The Village Voice

Come Ye, by Ronald K. Brown/Evidence, prompts a question for this exceptional, beloved ensemble. With songs by Nina Simone and Fela Kuti, the work revisits well-traveled Evidence territory.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:33 pm 

Ronald K. Brown's Spiritual Strength
By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 28, 2004; Page C08
Quote:
Sometimes a single story can occupy an artist for a lifetime.
Choreographer Ronald K. Brown knows this. His fascination with spiritual salvation, with how to attain it and how to bring it to bear in this life, permeates his work like perfume. On Thursday at George Mason University's Center for the Arts, Brown's company, Evidence, performed a stirring new piece and a deeply textured older one. Both were infused with these questions and dealt with spirit, life and dancing in similar ways.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:32 am 

Quote:
Prayer Warrior

By GRETCHEN GILES
The Metroactive via Yahoo

Other people are making pretty dances," says choreographer Ronald K. Brown during an early morning phone call from a Washington, D.C., hotel room. "Besides," he laughs, "I think that mine are pretty."
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:12 am 

Quote:
Respect for Heaven by Action on Earth

By JACK ANDERSON
The New York Times
June 28, 2004

"Redemption" made music and poetry partners in proclaiming the choreographic messages, and the production attested to Mr. Brown's love of fusing American modern dance with African dance forms.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:55 am 

Quote:
Dancers From New Zealand, Dallas, and Brooklyn Share the Spirit

by EVA YAA ASANTEWAA
the Village Voice

...Brooklyn's breathtaking EVIDENCE rocks steady with a bounty of inventions based in Senegalese Sabar dance.
more in the second half of the linked article

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:16 am 

Quote:
Upcoming: Ronald K. Brown/Evidence Dance Company

by EVA YAA ASANTEWAA
the Village Voice

... Brown's Dance for Peace, a quarter-hour ensemble work set to a section of Terry Riley's Salome: Dances for Peace, recorded by the Kronos Quartet. Mindful of the toll of lives lost to war and terrorism, this deeply spiritual artist wondered how to help his dancers deal with their complex, triggered feelings.
more

Profile E-mail