public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trisha Brown Dance Company
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 10:40 am 

Impressions from Deborah Jowitt:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Dancing to the Down, the Dirty, and Dave Douglas</B><P>Deborah Jowitt, The Village Voice<P>For the last six years, Trisha Brown has made dances to music; at one time the only sounds accompanying her choreography were footfalls, spoken commands, and the whoosh of flying bodies. She doesn't approach music compliantly, but invents structural analogies to what's going on with Bach or Webern or Dave Douglas, rather than galloping off on the obvious rhythms or melodies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0130/jowitt.shtml" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 4:59 pm 

The view by Wilma Salisbury of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Brown's "El Trilogy," also a highlight of the Lincoln Center Festival, was a fantastic achievement. The evening-length work coupled Brown's intricate postmodern choreography with vivid new music by jazz composer-trumpeter Dave Douglas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/996312622948189.xml target=_blank>More</a> in the bottom third of the linked article

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:15 am 

A review from Ohio:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Trisha Brown dancers put on a seamless performance<P>Wilma Salisbury, Cleveland Plain Dealer<P>The Trisha Brown Dance Company of New York energized the Ohio Theatre at Playhouse Square Saturday night with the endless inventiveness of Brown's superbly structured choreography. A pioneer of postmodern dance, Brown creates movement as pure in content as absolute music or abstract painting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/10014102201830650.xml target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:07 am 

Image <P>Trisha Brown's <I>El Trilogy</I><P><A HREF="http://www.festivalnouvelledanse.ca/video_56k/eltrilogy.mov" TARGET=_blank><B>video excerpt 56k</B></A><BR><A HREF="http://www.festivalnouvelledanse.ca/video_dsl/eltrilogyDSL.mov" TARGET=_blank><B>video excerpt DSL</B></A><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited June 01, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:15 am 

Image <P>09.26.01 Review<BR>Trisha Brown Dance Company [USA] <BR><I>El Trilogy</I> <BR>Théâtre Maisonneuve, Place des Arts <BR>Festival International de Nouvelle Danse<P>Choreography : Trisha Brown <P>Performed by : Kathleen Fisher, Sandra Grinberg, Mariah Maloney, Brandi Norton, Seth Parker, Lionel Popkin, Stacy Matthew Spence, Todd Stone, Katrina Thompson, Abigail Yager <P>Music : Dave Douglas <P><BR>The Trish Brown Company opened their performance at the FIND with a solo from Claudio Monteverdi's opera <I>L'Orfeo</I>. It was a poignant and touching tribute to those who were lost or injured in the tragedy of September the 11th. Kathleen Fisher, as the messenger, danced a sombre reflection of the intense grief that has enveloped so many people. This solo was a heart-rending testament to the events that have so deeply affected us all. <P>Brown's <I>El Trilogy</I> seems like an answer to those who might be struggling to find moments of light after the dark days of the past few weeks. Her choreography is such a joyous and bright expression of how wonderful life can be. Dave Douglas' jazz score throws extra sparkles into the mix. The light-hearted mood is just so…American. The fresh-faced dancers, costumed in bright colours, move in a carefree style that is soft but articulate. They seem so wholesome; you can almost picture them drinking milk and eating oreo cookies after the show (a recent trend in NYC was after-hours milk and cookie bars). It's hard not to love them. <P><I>Five Part Weather Invention</I> is a lot like the scribbles that cover the horizontal lines of the projection on the back wall. It's as if Brown is doodling with the dancers. A big swoosh here, a sharp line there. It's abstraction at its best, non-committal and unrestrained. The "follow the leader" section is playful improvisation that is reminiscent of a 1970's video using motion trails. <P><I>Rapture to Leon James</I> was probably my least favourite part of <I>El Trilogy</I>. Maybe it's because I find little to relate to in a picture of Americana that is well before my time. This flashback to a happier era references the lindy-hop, with little wrist flicks and swinging circle skirts. It was sweet and saucy. One of the dancers receives a kiss during the piece, a gentle reminder of the innocence we have lost. <P><I>Groove and Countermove</I> closed the show. The unpredictable moments: dancers falling and the audience realizing, to their delight, that the falls are choreographed, are what give this work its charm. It's loose-limbed and fancy-free with another kiss for good measure. Brown's dancers move in endless patterns that shift direction and intention at the drop of a hat. <P>The solo dances that occur during the two set changes were an interesting twist to the show. The first is angular and intense and it resulted in the audience errupting into applause at its finish. The second is a slow meander from position to position on an aluminium ladder, with long pauses from which to coolly observe the audience. <P><I>El Trilogy</I> is optimistic and heartening. It's the kind of dance a lot people need to see right now. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited September 27, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:38 am 

Paula Citron - Globe & Mail, 09.28.01:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Lab experiments go kinetic</B><P>By happy coincidence, scheduling placed a French company, Quatuor Albrecht-Knust, and an American troupe, Trisha Brown Dance Company, on the same day. <P>If El Trilogy is Bloomingdales, Continuous Project/Altered Daily is Wal-Mart.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>To read more search <B>Paula Citron</B> in the <A HREF="http://www.globeandmail.com" TARGET=_blank>Globe & Mail's</A> 7 Day Search<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:37 pm 

In the Boston Herald:

Quote:
New exhibit retraces Brown's steps

Dance/by Theodore Bale

Tonight, legendary American choreographer Trisha Brown comes to Andover for the opening of a major exhibit at the Addison Gallery of American Art at Phillips Academy: ``Trisha Brown: Dance and Art in Dialogue 1961-2001.'' more

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:15 am 

BARRY JOHNSON - The Oregonian, 09/27/02:
Quote:
She has stayed true to the spirit of the Judson experiments that created "Postmodern" dance and created a distinct choreographic style -- swift, light and unpredictable.
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:54 am 

Marcia B. Siegel writes in The Boston Phoenix (Oct. 3-10, 2002):

Quote:
Probably it’s simplistic to think of a choreographer’s career as variations on a theme, but the splendid retrospective "Trisha Brown: Dance and Art in Dialogue 1961–2001," which opened last weekend at the Addison Gallery of American Art in Andover, showed how important visibility is to this dancemaker. From her first perceptual experiments to her current explorations of stage space, Brown has probed the issues of seeing — how we see the dancer, how the dancer sees herself, what it means to see and be seen. The Addison show, plus several performance events last Saturday, opened up many of postmodernism’s old questions again, supplying a healthy jolt to the mind as we start out on a new season.
<A HREF="http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/arts/dance/documents/02458839.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:28 am 

From the Chicago Tribune:

Sublime moving delights
3 works show off Trisha Brown's quirky genius

By Sid Smith

Quote:
"Geometry of Quiet," Trisha Brown's new piece, begins with two women slowly enacting a series of gymnastic arabesques.
Their legs stretch out behind them until one of the women pauses to gingerly trace her fingertips along the extended leg of the other. Moments later, they wind up facing each other, sitting on each other's laps, then they crawl offstage like a pair of Siamese twins.
MORE...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:36 am 

From the Chicago Sun Times:

Trisha Brown program a colorful thing of beauty

October 7, 2002

BY HEDY WEISS THEATER CRITIC

Quote:
Choreographer Trisha Brown, a pioneer of the "postmodernist" movement in dance--and one of the founding members of the influential Judson Dance Theatre in New York in the late 1960s--possesses an intriguing ability to mix the cerebral and the sensual. Blending starkly abstract patterning with lacy movement that is alternately teasing and grave, she creates works that are at once severe, rigorous and playful, and endowed with a formal beauty that can be breathtaking even as it is understated.
MORE...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:51 am 

CATHERINE THOMAS - The Oregonian, 10/05/02:
Quote:
More than 30 years later, Brown is still experimenting, and Wednesday's three-part program revealed her genius at making highly abstract, technically complex movement look natural. It also marked the American premiere of her latest work, "Geometry of Quiet," a piece co-commissioned by the White Bird and Tiffany & Co. New Works Fund.
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:01 am 

MATTHEW GUREWITSCH in The New York Times:

Quote:
DANCERS come in many shapes and sizes. Plenty are less obviously flexible and athletic than the English baritone Simon Keenlyside. Glimpsed in rehearsal garb in the spare yet airy spaces of Trisha Brown's studio in midtown Manhattan, he might be waiting for his cue as the puppet hero of Stravinsky's "Petrouchka." The square face with its broad, guileless smile; the wide, sad eyes; the Raggedy Andy thatch of light brown hair: it all looks straight from Central Casting.

In fact, what has brought Mr. Keenlyside to New York for five weeks of intensive rehearsal is a staging by Ms. Brown of "Winterreise" ("Winter Journey"), the song cycle by Franz Schubert that stands as the summit of the classical recitalist's art. Commissioned by the New Visions series at Lincoln Center, the production receives its premiere tomorrow at the John Jay College Theater, forming a full-length program of the Trisha Brown Dance Company's repertory season.
<A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/01/arts/dance/01GURE.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:38 am 

Anna Kisselgoff in The New York Times:

Quote:
<B>Spare Look, Stark Poems and Sad Songs</B>
An experimental choreographer who recently turned to directing opera, Trisha Brown has had to work on a more intimate scale in "Winterreise," her bold and largely persuasive staging of Schubert's despairing song cycle of the same name.
<A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/04/arts/dance/04TRIS.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:28 am 

JACK ANDERSON in The New York Times:

Quote:
<B>Exploring Austerity and Then Excitement</B>
Trisha Brown has often been choreographically amazing. The current repertory season of her Trisha Brown Dance Company at the John Jay College Theater also demonstrates that she can be amazingly varied.
<A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/10/arts/dance/10TRIS.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next