public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rambert's 'Ghost Dances' Triple Bill
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 1999 10:39 am 

Rambert has another huge hit with the revival of 'Ghost Dances'. Audiences and the London critics were bowled over by this work from 1981, inspired by the plight of South American peasants through the ages and the murder of Chilean musician Victor Jara by Pinochet's forces. The wonderful Andean tunes provide an excellent setting for the fluid choreography of the peasants and the chilling, predatory steps of the 'Ghosts'.<P>Of the other two pieces, my impression is that the Company are dancing Cunningham's 'August Pace' and Tharp's 'Golden Section' much better now after a year of relaxing into these two demanding works.<P>Over the two nights the dancers who particularly caught my eye were, as always,<BR>the amazing Matthew Hart (very sad that he is leaving Rambert); Patti Hines who<BR>was worked very hard in 5 of the 6 pieces on Tuesday and Wednesday and used<BR>her outstanding technique and expressiveness to great effect throughout; and<BR>Raphael Bonachela also impressed by putting his own stamp on Cunningham's<BR>steps in August Pace and dancing with fluent musicality in GD.<P>Good to see Rambert on such a roll. Here is the URL of a very enthusiastic review from DEbra Craine in The Times:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/99/12/02/timartdan02002.html?1376249" TARGET=_blank>http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/99/12/02/timartdan02002.html?1376249</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rambert's 'Ghost Dances' Triple Bill
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 1999 9:03 pm 

Oh, Stuart, I am so jealous of you as I wish I could see more of Rambert. As far as I know, they only visited SF twice; once for SF Ballet's UNited We Dance festival in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the UN charter in SF where they wowed audiences with "The Meeting Point"; and second time a few years ago where they brought a mixed rep program.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 1999 11:09 pm 

Azlan, it just so happens that 'Meeting Point' is one of the works on Rambert's next visit to Sadler's Wells in early June next year. For thise who are thinking of a trip to London in 2000, this may be time slot to consider. Details are given below:<P>Prog. 1, 31 May-3 June @ 7.30<P>Embrace Tiger, Tetley<BR>Return to Mountain, Tetley<BR>(the above are two separate works as far as I can make out from the programme)<BR>Ghost Dances, Bruce<BR>Four Scenes, Bruce<P><BR>Prog. 2, 6-10 June @7.30<P>Pierrot Lunaire, Tetley<BR>Beach Birds, Cunningham<BR>Meeting Point, Bruce<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 12-07-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 1999 8:03 pm 

Hmm, my English cousin is getting married. Maybe I can help her schedule her wedding. Hee hee.<P>But seriously, perhaps we *should* organize a London 2000 trip!

Profile E-mail