public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matthew Bourne news
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 3:18 am 

Showman who leads a merry dance
LUNCH WITH THE FT: Matthew Bourne says bad-boy comparisons have got him wrong. Julia Llewellyn Smith hears the truth
Financial Times; Dec 8, 2001
By JULIA LLEWELLYN SMITH

The choreographer anddirector Matthew Bourne looks at the elderly clientele of the Mezzanine restaurant at the National Theatre and rolls his eyes.

"OAP matinee day," he giggles.

Bourne, a former filing clerk who did not set foot in a studio until he was 22, has been hailed as the saviour of British dance. His production of Swan Lake, with male swans, was seen by a million people worldwide and brought a young, mainstream audience to a languishing art form.

In person, ballet's enfant terrible is entirely unassuming: stocky, stiff-moving and dressed in a cardigan. "Am I drinking?" he asks in his soft voice, as he sits down. "Better not. Working." After a quick glance at the menu, he orders fish cakes and chips.

click for more

Stuart adds: at one point Ms Smith writes, 'He talks fluently about his work, yet there is a sense of being on auto-pilot, his energies reserved for South Pacific.' Not really surprising when Ms Smith talks about his being a bad-boy and enfant terrible, which are comments of mind-boggling fatuity. I wonder if she has ever seen any of his work - it seemed to come as a surprise to her that his work is not considered ballet. I do wish newspapers would use dance critics for interviews. Hats off to the Telegraph who regularly let Ismene Brown do the interviews and it shows.

<small>[ 09 December 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Matthew Bourne news
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:14 am 

<B>BBC Radio4 ‘Front Row’ interview with Matthew Bourne</B><P><I>Front Row is a daily arts programme with a good reputation. Today they interviewed Matthew Bourne as ‘South Pacific’ with his choreography is performed at The National Theatre. Here I paraphrase the main points he made in the interview:</I><P><BR>I was always interested in dance, but mainly in musicals. I used to belong to a local song and dance club, but didn’t go to dance classes. It was only when I went to college to study dance as an academic discipline that I realised that I could have a career as a dancer/choreography. So, I had the advantage of having other interests. Some of my fellow students only knew dance, so their work was about dance. <P>To be fair, movement isn’t my forte, it’s telling stories through movement that I do best. I draw on a lot of sources and yes, I do steal a lot. Stravinsky was asked about stealing from Mozart and he said it was OK because he loved Mozart so much. ‘West Side Story’ is an influence on the Car Man, but anything danced in jeans looks like ‘West Side Story’.<P>Yes, I know that some people are dismissive of musicals and feel I may be under-selling myself. But I approach these works in the same way as my other work. I’m particularly drawn to musicals that don’t have a strong image already associated with them. I always try to make it look natural. I don’t want people be asking themselves, ‘Why that jump or that spin?’<P>Male frustration is a strong strand in ‘South Pacific’. I was working with non dancers and so for one of the scenes we did some improvisation at the start where I asked them to make love to an inanimate object. Some got rather embarressed! In the ‘Wash that man’ number the girls dance with towels which become a symbol for men when they throw them into a pile and strangle them.<P>‘My Fair Lady’ also presented a challenge, particularly in the ‘Ascot Races’ song. In the film it’s just a fashion parade with Californian models, very little movement and clever camera work. Clearly you couldn’t do that on stage. So I started playing around with ideas about the characters as rare creatures or horsey things to create something new. <P> <P> <BR> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 19, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:04 pm 

Another interview with Bourne in The Observer. He talks about his upcoming production at the National Theatre and his season of The Nutcracker at Sadlers Wells.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Question: what do you call a man who rehearses a company of dancers and stages Swan Lake in the West End and on Broadway and crosses Carmen with The Postman Always Rings Twice to create a sweaty dance-noir? Answer: a choreographer. The only trouble is, British dance's runaway success story Matthew Bourne isn't at all sure about the job title. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.observer.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,754756,00.html" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:08 pm 

Interview in The Telegraph.

Quote:
All over Britain, theatres will be heaving a sigh of relief - Matthew Bourne is back in action. After a couple of terrible years, in which he lost control of his celebrated production of Swan Lake and of his company, Adventures in Motion Pictures, and the big plans to settle as resident company at London's Old Vic collapsed, Bourne has new adventures in motion to announce. His team of loyal dancers, once familiar AMP faces, have formed a new company, aptly called New Adventures.

MORE

<small>[ 08-13-2002, 00:14: Message edited by: Joanne ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:56 am 

A merry dance
Matthew Bourne has three shows on the trot. Can he put a foot wrong?
By Allen Robertson for The Times.

WITH THREE HIT shows and more than 250 performances to oversee in the next 12 months, Matthew Bourne must be the busiest choreographer in Britain. This week Bourne’s New Adventures troupe begins an eight-week run of his Nutcracker! at Sadler’s Wells.

click for more

<small>[ 09 December 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:41 am 

'I'm a choreographer and I'm a director'
By Alastair Macaulay for The Financial Times

When Matthew Bourne was on the way up, it was generally accepted that what he did was choreography. When his 1995 Swan Lake became a huge success, however, dance critics began to say that he was not a choreographer but a director. The (sniffy) implication was that London is full of mere directors, whereas the world has few true choreographers. That Bourne was proficient at arranging a piece of theatre was not to be denied; but how efficient was he at making a dance?

[url=http://search.ft.com/search/article.html?id=031209000713&query=dance&vsc_appId=totalSearch&state=Form]click for more

[/url]

<small>[ 09 December 2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:19 am 

Quote:
Bourne Again
Tony winner Matthew Bourne returns to New York with 'Theater Stroke Dance'

by TONY PHILLIPS
the Village Voice

"I have a warning," Bourne says of his latest creation, in which up to three actors dance one role, creating a duplicitous spiral of class and sex. "People find the first 10 minutes rather difficult, not in terms of what they're looking at—because it's quite beautiful—but in terms of ‘Am I supposed to catch all this?' I introduce the world. You don't need to follow each individual bit. When you need to look at something, I'll make sure you're looking at it."
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:20 am 

"...they've been calling Bourne "dance's Damien Hirst" ever since."

Oh, really? I follow Bourne's doings and read most of the articles about him and his work and I've never heard this phrase before.

Not sure at all that the anology works - they are both high profile figures from the world of the arts, but whereas Hirst's works are "conceptual" and dismissed by the public as non-art, Bourne's work is accessible and popular.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:30 am 

Quote:
In the company of men
by CHARLOTTE HIGGINS for the Guardian
published: December 23, 2006

The 46-year-old choreographer lives in a 17th-century house, all oak beams and winding staircases - an incongruous gingerbread cottage, its walls covered with old movie posters, tucked away in north London. "The reason I think the shows I do are successful with a wider public," he says, "is because they tap into something that's beyond dance, and is about being told a story. That's what people want. And my cast tend to look like people you know and recognise rather than the sort of ethereal god- or goddess-like people that you see at the ballet. You can't identify with them; they are otherworldly, in a way."
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Swan Lake in Sydney
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:58 am 

Quote:
Swan's way
by JANAE CORNWELL for the Australian
published: January 27, 2007

Bourne says he would like to create darker pieces and see if the coaches still come. A gay Romeo and Juliet, "a sort of Romeo and Romeo", will round off his remakes of classical ballets. A production of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, with its rollcall of nasty characters, poses a greater challenge.
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:10 am 

Amazing that one of Bourne's shows hasn't been to Australia before. Given the Aussies famous disdain for hierarchy and the "right" way to do things, I'd be prepared to bet that Bourne will be very big in Oz.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:25 am 

Quote:
When Romeo met fair Julian: Bourne's ballet for our time
by DAVID LANGHTON for the Independent
published: March 19, 2007

It's been more than 350 years since a young man trod the boards as Shakespeare's original tragic Juliet, disguised in heavy make up and a wig.

Romeo, Romeo will begin rehearsals sometime next year and will be based on Prokofiev's ballet. Mr Bourne, 47, said he hopes to rise to the challenge of portraying a convincing gay relationship through dance.
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:37 am 

I'm looking forward to this. I think it's quite a good idea.

I wish he'd do Giselle.

Profile E-mail