public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paul Taylor Dance Company - Nov. 1999/Aug. 2000
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 1999 6:37 am 
Macau, an hour away from Hong Kong, was the first stop of the distinguished Paul Taylor Dance Company's Asia-Pacific tour which also includes Jakarta and Auckland. Last weekend at the new Macau Cultural Centre, the company gave two different programmes of six of Taylor's works, ranging from his 1975 masterpiece "Esplanade" to a work created in 1998 titled "The Word".

The new cast wasn't quite on form in "Esplanade", and I have seen better performances when the company danced it at Sadler's Wells in London in 1989. "Arden Court", another work set to Baroque music, received a better performance. In "Syzygy", Lisa Viola was impressive in her allegro solo.

The new 1998 work "The Word" seemed to be about group behaviour. Lisa Viola also had an aggressive solo. The two works created in 1997 were more interesting. "Piazzola Caldera" was a jovial work based on the tango form. "Eventide" was sublimely danced by the five couples, with the main couple of Francie Huber and Patrick Corbin especially fine.

(I have done a more detailed review for the ballet.co.uk website.)

<small>[ 22 January 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Post subject: Re: Paul Taylor Dance Company - Nov. 1999/Aug. 2000
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 1999 7:10 am 

Kevin, thanks for the review. I understood there were some personnel changes in PTDC, especially with the retirement of Berman. And you mentioned cast changes for Esplanade. I am interested to know who was in the cast for this work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 1999 11:03 am 

Kevin-I have followed the PTDC since the early 70's. I have also studied at their school in NYC and have seen the co. in rehearsal. I saw a concert of theirs about 2 yrs. ago in Seattle- I saw "Eventide", "Arden Court" and another piece I can't remember the title-it was a "Gaite Pariesienne" piece where they wore these pseudo Parisian red costumes. Anyway, I didn't think it was a very balanced program. All the pieces were light, airy or lyrical. I liked some of Taylor's older, gritier pieces-"Runes", "Big Bertha" (very disturbing but cool piece)and "Dust". I don't feel like the new rep nor dancers have the "bite" of old. Oh well...that's life! Have you seen the film about Paul taylor called "Dancemaker"-highly recommended. Saw it at Seattle Film Festival (world premeire)about a year and a half ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 1999 9:05 pm 

trina, interesting observation. The last time I saw PTDC, in Feb, I felt most of the works were lyrical and literal. Even "The Word" and the resurrected "Rite of Spring" felt that way to me. I suppose that is why ballet companies like to use his works.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 5:14 pm 

Kevin, what was the cast for Esplanade?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 1999 6:09 am 
Cronos and Azlan: the cast for Esplanade was - Francie Huber, Lisa Viola, Kristi Egtvedt, Silivia Nevjinsky, Maureen Mansfield, Michael Trusnovec, Annmaria Mazzini, Orion Duckstein, and Rob Kleinenndorst. I was told that this cast actually made a debut in this work in Macau a week ago.<p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited 11-29-1999).]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 1999 7:05 am 

Kevin, this is all very interesting stuff, especially as the Paul Taylor company will be in London this year - many thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 1999 5:15 pm 
Stuart, yes, Paul Taylor Dance Company will perform at London Sadler's Wells in Nov. 2000. John Tomlinson, the company's Operations Director, told me this in Macau. But if you want to catch the company earlier, they will perform at Opera Garnier in Paris in early Jan. in 2 programmes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 1999 6:24 pm 

Kevin,<P>I'm interested in why PTDC performed in Macau instead of Hong Kong. Do major performers usually stop there?<P>Could you tell us about the differences in audiences between formerly Portuguese Macau and formerly British Hong Kong?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 1999 10:40 pm 

Thanks, Kevin.<P>I am familiar with all the names except for Annmaria Mazzini, Orion Duckstein, and Rob Kleinenndorst. I guess these must be the new dancers.<P>It's incredible that Francie Huber is still with the company. It seems like she has been around forever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 1999 1:59 am 
Azlan, I see.<P>Michael, I have no idea why PTDC didn't perform in Hong Kong before or after Macau. I guess that the management of the Macau Cultural Centre, which opened in March this year, is able to organise this short tour without involving Hong Kong arts organisers. (By the way, Macau is still Portuguese, and is only to return to China next month.)<P>Actually the audience response in Macau was quite enthusiastic. As it was my first time seeing dance in Macau, I really cannot compare the audience response with that in Hong Kong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:44 am 

I've combined three topics:

Kevin Ng
posted 14 March 2000 01:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I reviewed Taylor's "Arabesque" during its Paris season in January. Due to Chinse New Year and my reviews for Hong Kong Arts Festival in the past month, my Taylor review has been held back and was only just published yesterday in "Hong Kong Standard".

This link is now broken

Tobi Tobias also reviewed it in New York Magazine this week.

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/dance/reviews/2448/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Ng
posted 14 March 2000 10:56 PM
Stuart, well done! You have now taught us something new, on how to insert photos in this discussion board.

Azlan
posted 16 March 2000 02:10 PM
Photos make everything lively, don't they?
Now, is Arabesque the only new work premiered in NYC?

trina

posted 16 March 2000 04:19 PM
I believe he did another premeire "Cascade" to music by JS Bach. Two premeires in one season from a choreographer who's nearly 70 yrs. old...pretty good!!!!

Azlan

posted 17 March 2000 12:53 PM
That is pretty good. Does anyone know anything about Cascade?

Kevin Ng

posted 18 March 2000 02:13 AM
Azlan, you can read about Cascade in Tobi Tobias' review in New York Magazine, whose link I've put down above.

trina

posted 21 March 2000 02:43 PM
Anyone intersted in Paul Taylor and his new work(s) should read this week's issue of The New Yorker article by Joan Acollela (spelling-help!). Very insightful! And intersting..I don't always agree with her opinions, but this article is good!

Cronos

posted 23 April 2000 07:54 PM
Does anyone know how many new works Paul Taylor creates in a year

trina

posted 24 April 2000 04:53 PM
I believe two on average, maybe 3.

-------------------------------------------------

Azlan
posted 01 August 2000 10:59 PM
Deborah Jowitt contemplates Paul Taylor's new, dark work, "Fiends Angelical," in the first half of this article in the Village Voice.

<small>[ 22 January 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail