public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gala Benefit for The Place
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2000 12:14 am 

Image <P>The Place - a dynamic centre for teaching, performing, researching and enjoying Modern Dance. <A HREF="http://www.theplace.org.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.theplace.org.uk</A> <P><BR>The Place, one of my favourite dance venues, held a Royal Benefit Gala in the ROH's new 400-seater Linbury Studio Theatre. It was a great evening with performances ranging from the 6-year olds of The Young Place to a performance by Sheron Wray, ex-Rambert, of Jane Dudley's 'Harmonica Breakdown' created in 1938 and still as fresh as new paint. In her review of the evening, Judith Mackrell talks about the communication links that are being established between the modern and ballet worlds in the UK, which have perhaps been slower to form than elsewhere. One of the pioneers in this contact is Deborah Bull, both as a performer and as a member of a range of key national dance organisations. <P>It was a great evening and the two other Place presentations in the Linbury were also of an exceptional standard, including a second work in the Linbury by Akram Khan, one of those who Mackrell singles out for praise. There may be better male dancers in the world, but not many and not much better.<P>My review of the Gala evening will appear in the May edition of 'Dance Europe'. <P> <A HREF="http://www.newsunlimited.co.uk/arts/story/0,3604,158169,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.newsunlimited.co.uk/arts/story/0,3604,158169,00.html</A> <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gala Benefit for The Place
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2000 11:25 pm 

Stuart. What did you think of Akram Khan's 'Fix' ? I saw this new work last month in Glasgow. I thought he was interesting as a performer - someone I'd like to watch again. But didn't find the piece particularly exciting or moving. <BR>There was also something a bit tentative about the performance I saw, which may have simply been that it was the premier performance. I'd not seen him before so don't know how this compares with his previous stuff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2000 11:28 pm 

Now I'm not sure about the etiquette of what I just posted ? Maybe I should wait for your review Stuart. Will you provide us with the link when it's printed ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2000 12:10 am 

Carly, welcome to the site. Hope we hear more of your views in the weeks to come. <BR>The Dance Europe review of the Gala is 300 words for 14 acts!! So Akram only gets a quick mention. <P>I enjoyed 'Fix' a great deal, but Khan's dancing was certainly a key factor. His contemporary/modern choreography is getting stronger and both the Gala short and 'Fix' had interesting and very distinctive shapes and movements. It didn't seem at all tentative at The Linbury, but I understand that he has made some changes over the past few weeks. <P>I have to say that I would love to see him performing more Kathak, which I understand he will be doing. He brings a joyous and controlled emotional approach to this Indian dance tradition. Overall, I think he is one of the most exciting dance artists in the UK today.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail