public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ACDFA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2000 9:32 am 

Welcome to Criticaldance, mdance3 and many thanks for your enthusiastic contribution. You clearly had a wonderful time and it would be good if you could give some contact details for the organisers, in case other readers are inspired to attend future conferences.<P>Over here, the London School of Contemporary Dance advanced students have an annual show called '4D' where they perform the work of well-known and up and coming choreographers. It is always a treat. In addition, we have a Festival for 'young' companies called Resolution!, where 100 companies perform over a 6 week period. There are weeds, but also plenty of gorgeous blooms.<P>Young dancers and choreographers often bring a breath of fresh air to their performances.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2000 2:11 pm 

HI-when I taught at the university level, ACDFA was something we were involved in. In fact one of my pieces "Three Friends" (commentary on AIDS) won a spot in the Gala Performance one year at the regional level. I think ACDFA is an excellent organization. I'm not sure if you can participate, however, if you are not a student or faculty member, or guest artist at a unversity or college. The "adjudicators" or judges for each festival are professionals in the field, however. You can probably contact the national headquarters of ACDFA to ask about it. Let me know if you want more info.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2000 2:14 pm 

oops! Didn't realize that you were a student, mdance...oh well..disregard that part of my message then!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2000 9:09 pm 

Well, trina & mdance3, *I* am intrigued. Please tell me more. I want to learn more about ACDFA and how to promote it.<P>This Friday, I'll be checking out the Choreographers' Collective at San Jose City College. I wonder if the pieces will be as experimental and fresh as the ones you experienced, mdance3.<P>Erika, any comments? (Erika will be performing in the Collective.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2000 9:50 am 

It should be a fun show. There will be live music before the show, and pieces by various choreographers. Among the choreographers are VogtART/Jeannine Vogt (who is also a very talented singer and pianist), Trey Knight (who did a stilt piece last year), MWDC/Juliet Ferriera, Vanguard Dance Co./Carol Abohatab, and High Release/Gail Palmer and Natasha Carlitz. It's at SJCC in their main theater, Friday and Saturday at 8:00pm (the music starts at 7:15.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2000 12:00 pm 

Erika, doesn't Ferreira also teach modern class at San Jose Cleveland Ballet?<P>Should be a fun show. I'll be there.

Profile E-mail