public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Les Ballet Jazz de Montreal in China
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 1999 9:08 pm 

Kevin,<P>This is a question for you, as a wonderful far east informant....<P>Have you seen/heard/know of Les Ballet Jazz de Montreal in China? They just completed a two week tour (I think) there about a week ago, and was wondering if you knoew of any reviews or if you had seen them?<P>pidge

Post subject: Re: Les Ballet Jazz de Montreal in China
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 1999 10:02 pm 
Pidge, I am sorry as I haven't heard anything about this. I'll try to find out from my friend in Beijing. And no, I haven't yet seen this company myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 1999 7:08 pm 

What an interesting name? Is it a ballet, jazz or modern dance company?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 1999 9:35 pm 

Cronos,<P>That depends on what your definition of a ballet, jazz or modren company is...<P>It's a small company...twelve dancers I believe, that perform a very mixed rep. Classical ballets (full length) do not exist in thir rep, and I'm pretty sure they don't do Balanchine, but from the rep I've seen, they've done everything from slightly cheezy jazz-type numbers, to James Kudelka, to fabulous contemporary ballets that they ahd commissioned for the company. So it's sort of all three Image<P>pidge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 1999 11:11 pm 

Hmm, pidge, so do they dance the ballet works en-pointe?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:51 pm 

Azlan,<P>Actually, yes they do, but not very often. They still do James Kudelka's 'Ghosts,' which has one section, 'Marth my Dear,' which has one girl on pointe.<P>pidge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 1999 8:46 am 

pidge, now I'm intrigued. What is their season like? How and where can I catch them? Do they have a website?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 1999 6:48 pm 

Azlan,<P>Unfortunately, as far as I know, they do not have a web site.<P>I can get you information as to their next few stops in the US. They are based here in MOntreal, and their next show will consist of three creations on them by various choreographers. One, Mia Michaels, who (I think still has it) has a company in Miami (Shag can you help me out?), Shawn Hounsell, currently a soloist with Les Grands, and Dominique Dumais. I can let you know the dates, and I will also keep you posted, if you'd like on future tours they will be doing. They are on layoff right now, as they don't do Nutcracker.<P>pidge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 1999 9:35 pm 

Thanks, pidge. And, yes, it'd be good if you post schedules and dates. I may make it up to Montreal again...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 1999 12:59 pm 

I hate to be a kill-joy, but they came to London a few years ago and although I missed them, they received some of the worst reviews I have ever read for any performance in any art form.<P>It could be that their current rep. etc. is much more convincing, but it might be worth combining a trip with an event that promised to be more likely to succeed, Azlan. <P>Stuart adds later: <P>I saw them in late 2000 in London and they were great! <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 1999 2:50 pm 

Oh, Stuart, you are such a kill-joy... and not to mention a party-pooper. But I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.<P>I did however hear what good comment about this company from a dancer in SF. So, they must not be all that bad.

Profile E-mail