public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Paul Taylor Dance Company 2002-3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:55 pm 

Yesterday I saw the PTDC and Houston Ballet at the Kennedy Center. Overall I thought Paul Taylor Dance Company looked a little more polished and better prepared than the Houston Ballet. The Offenbach Overtures, as danced by PTDC, was a delightful piece, so funny and entertaining. The costumes, red and black were perfect and I must say the lighting (by Jennifer Tipton) throughout all the performances was as good as anything I've seen. For me the American Eagle Waltz was the most amusing and so well danced, the Duelers started off dueling and ended up hugging and kissing, while the Seconds got into the most ridiculous bickering fight, and absolute hoot. Company B, to songs by the Andrew Sisters, as danced by the Houston Ballet was exuberant in places but also at times quite eerie, especially Pennsylvania Polka where in the front dancers did the polka, while in the background, almost in silhouette, men acted out shooting and dying. And There Will Never Be Another You took on new meaning as Phillip Broomhead pulled away from Tyann Clement and joined the line of marching men in the background. Lucas Priolo in Tico-Tico was delightful, his dancing was wonderful, so energetic and effortless. In The Beginning, a dance based on Genesis, was a world premiere here at the Kennedy Center, also danced by the Houston Ballet, but, I am sorry to say, I did not particularly care for it. The music, by Carl Orff, was appropriate but the costumes and choreography seemed a little trite for my taste. Dominic Walsh as Jehovah was as imposing as his rather elaborate costume would allow. There is some humor in the piece, especially with the apples rolling across the stage, and the multiple births, but overall the dancing was good but not great and the choreography was not inspiring.
But all that was quickly forgotten with the start of Promethean Fire, danced by Paul Taylor Dance Company. The music by JS Bach is gorgeous, the lighting and costumes were simple and extremely effective. The choreography is amazing. I had tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat at times. Although I had read several reviews of this piece they did not prepare me for the stunning emotional impact of this dance. Several images will stay with me for a long time: The pile of bodies, the hunched over dancers spiralling across the stage, and the incredible pdd by Patrick Corbin and Lisa Viola. I would have loved to see it again, it is the type of dance that each time you see it you will get another compelling impression.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:28 pm 

I agree that Promethean Fire did a lot to make me forget my disappointment of the first half. This could be a classic. It's really visually striking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:09 pm 

"Prometheam Fire" seems to have gotten uniformly rave reviews, harking back to some earlier, visually powerful pieces of Taylor's-"Last Look" and "Runes" among them. "Promethean" seems like it could be another Taylor classic. Some reviews have mentioned imagery of the 911 tragedy. Anyone who's seen the piece have an opinion? I can't recall if Taylor himself has mentioned any references in interviews/previews. :confused:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:33 pm 

Yes, the pile of bodies and other images made me think of 9-11. Not sure why, but the piece is so dramatic and powerful. It seems incredibly sad, yet at the end you feel hopeful that the world will come right again. I know I sound a bit over the top, but this piece really affected me. The audience at the Kennedy Center seemed to agree, lots of cheering and standing ovations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:02 pm 

Wow. Sounds intense and powerful. I hope the Taylor company comes out to Seattle; I'd love to see this piece. And I've been a Taylor fan since I first saw them way back in 1977 or so. They were the first professional modern company I ever saw...what an introduction!! :D :p

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:47 pm 

I didn't really think of 9/11 until I read some comments about that afterward. Then I saw how there could definitely be that take. I tend not to think of stuff like that when I'm viewing pieces. I can be really dense sometimes...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:05 pm 

In the Washington Post:

Quote:
Paul Taylor, Light as Air And Solid As Ground
2 Troupes Showcase Choreographer's Work

By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer

Modern dance once had to struggle to get the respect accorded to classical ballet. Now ballet companies are lining up to commission works by modern choreographers such as Paul Taylor, Mark Morris and Twyla Tharp. <a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5681-2003Apr10.html target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:48 am 

The 2003 UK tour of the Paul Taylor Dance Company is being covered in our "UK Performances" forum. The Sadler's Wells season has just finished and here is the direct link.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:47 am 

We've been playing catch-up with the New Yorker magazine from 2003. It's a shame that they only occasionally have dance articles online. However, the good news is that these articles are by Joan Acocella:

DOUBLE TAKES
New York premières from Paul Taylor and Mark Morris. by JOAN ACOCELLA for The New Yorker.

Paul Taylor had a little fun with the press recently. When his “Promethean Fire” was unveiled at the American Dance Festival in Durham, North Carolina, last June, some reviewers speculated that the piece—with its big cast (the whole company), its black costumes and black backdrop, its saints-in-an-altarpiece formations—might be about the events of September 11th.

click for more

<small>[ 17 June 2003, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:21 am 

A Happy Return for Corbin
By Lisa Traiger
Special to The Washington Post
Friday, August 15, 2003; Page WE24

Quote:
PATRICK CORBIN is late for his interview.
He's late because while walking out of his apartment, he happened on a box of abandoned kittens. Not the type of guy to leave mewing newborns to fend for themselves, he spent the morning searching for a local branch of the Humane Society to take in the homeless felines. "I just couldn't leave them on the street," Corbin explains with considerable understatement.

That's Corbin. Generous to a fault, he'll do anything for anyone, whether dancing onstage, in rehearsal, or offstage. His boss, master choreographer and modern dance icon Paul Taylor, concurs, explaining that Corbin gives of himself whenever there's an opportunity. "Sometimes in rehearsal I ask dancers to improvise," the choreographer says, "and Patrick is always willing to try something new." Taylor adds, "He's the kind of dancer that's always working to improve. He doesn't settle back. He's very versatile: He can do heroic type roles, he can do comedy, he can do drama . . . I couldn't ask for anybody better."
More

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:59 pm 

I finally had a chance to see "Promethean Fire" last Wednesday in Damrosch Park at Lincoln Center, and was very impressed. Especially that the dancers could even stand up in such oppresive humidity.
I promise to write up a full report in the next day or so. I completely forgot to for a couple of days --must have been the two hour hike home over the bridge on Thursday in the 90 degree heat :cool:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:46 am 

Paul Taylor's Triple Play Wows the Fans at Wolf Trap
By Lisa Traiger
Special to The Washington Post
Thursday, August 21, 2003; Page C09

Quote:
At the Paul Taylor triple-bill program Tuesday evening at Wolf Trap, this American modern-dance icon, who has been crafting dances since 1954, offered up works of intricate design and musicality with a tinge of satiric bite.

There was nothing to knock the wind out of you, as did his soul-wrenching "Last Look" in 1985 or last year's "Promethean Fire." But a late-summer outdoor evening was the perfect occasion to marvel at the virtuosity of Taylor's dancers -- broad-shouldered men who leap like gazelles and land like birds and equally fearless women who find seduction in their hips and shoulders one moment and lyric beauty in their neatly embroidered partnered segments the next.
More

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:35 pm 

And I have not seen the company in at least couple years! Yikes! We've everything I've read about Promethean, I guess I should make every effort to see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:03 am 

Azlan:
If you get the chance to see Promethean Fire, GO. As I have said numerous times, it will knock your socks off. Well, at least, it knocked my socks off.
-Carol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:48 am 

Quote:
Finally Dancing to His Own Dreams

By JENNIFER DUNNING
The New York Times

PATRICK CORBIN has always danced like a man with a mind of his own. Relatively unnoticed in the Joffrey Ballet, he joined the Paul Taylor Dance Company in 1989 and became a leading performer who could merge himself with almost any role, whether lyrical or darkly funny or sad, without losing that quiet core intelligence.

This week Mr. Corbin will present his first full program of his own choreography, "Take Flight," opening on Thursday at the Danspace Project at St. Mark's Church.
More

Profile E-mail