public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ohad Naharin and Batsheva Dance Company
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:05 pm 

Here are reviews from Batsheva's U.S. tour in Portland and Seattle.

In The Oregonian, Catherine Thomas reviews the Tuesday, March 16 performance at Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall:

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/107961458398050.xml?oregonian?alap

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer's Alice Kaderlan reviews the Wednesday, March 17 performance at the Paramount Theatre:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/classical/165376_bathsheva19q.html

And Mary Murfin Bayley reviews the March 17 performance in the Seattle Times:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?c=18&slug=batsheva19&date=20040319

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:15 am 

I saw Batsheva Dance Company tonight at UCLA, and we got Deca Dance as well, in what appears to be the same order as Mehunt saw. The most impressive thing about the dancers is their attack, and how quickly they can do it. There's also a kind of scruffy-looking quality (but not in a bad way) to their dancing that I can't quite explain --- perhaps related to this, Naharin commented at the Q-and-A session afterwards that mirrors are verboten in their studios because they "spoil the soul".

The choreography was fun, accessible, and had the audience won over from the beginning. I really like his eclectic and intelligent use of music. I'd seen parts of it with Hubbard Street's performance of Minus 16 a couple of years ago, which include the audience participation number, and the chair dance. I believe the intermission improv act may be part of it, too, because Hubbard did that too, and it transitioned into Minus 16 after the intermission, but with Naharin's choreography being so flexible and fluid, he could have done something especially for Hubbard.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:29 am 

It is a fun piece, isn't it? And also what a great and international company. These dancers wear Naharin's choreogaphy like a glove and are the best interpreters of his work, especially as you say, Andre, in the "attack." There is just so much energy and they give it their all!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:17 am 

Ouch.

Quote:
A program less than the sum of its parts
Lewis Segal, LA Times

Set in capital letters, "NOTHING IS PERMANENT" formed the central statement in the four-line biography of Israeli choreographer Ohad Naharin in the program booklet at UCLA's Royce Hall on Saturday.

Don't believe it: Whenever you see Naharin choreography in Southern California, it's always, inevitably, the same greatest-hits jumble. Like it or not, you can count on that kind of permanence.
The risk is cheapening past work — and dance itself — by throwing out everything except the hard-sell stuff that can stand alone, out of context. There's no resonance to such a compilation, no cumulative effect except admiration for the dancers. And, anyway, you could argue that a program of nothing but highlights really has no highlights at all.
more (requires paid subscription)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:15 am 

Segal must have had a bad day...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:11 am 

I don't know, he said it more boldly, but almost all of the Bay Area writers agreed. From the excerpt you quoted, he's railing against the programming, not the choreography itself. And personally I'm inclined to agree. The show had the feel of a Superbowl halftime to me. I'd rather see at least one full work (with the piece to Arvo Part being my leading candidate for that slot).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:39 am 

Press release:

Batsheva Dance Company

Naharin's Virus

Barbican Theatre | 28 Apr - 1 May

Batsheva, Israel's foremost dance company return to BITE, the Barbican's year round performing arts programme. Batsheva take to the stage for 4 performances only with choreographer Ohad Naharin's strikingly sensual new work, Naharin's Virus. Based on Peter Handke's absurdist play Offending the Audience and set to an achingly beautiful score by Arab-Israeli composer Habib Alla Jamal, the company of 16 dancers punctuate moments of stillness with frenetic energy. These contradictory changes in style and attitude draw you into Naharin's unique world which the New York Times have so perfectly summed up as 'the calligraphy of the body.'

'Naharin carves out a world where madness waltzes with grace'
The Washington Post

Thu 29 April Post show talk with Ohad Naharin

Book Now!
Tickets £7 12 16 21 26 + Superseat (pay £4 more for a Superseat).
Online booking www.barbican.org.uk/eticketing | Box Office 0845 120 7517

Discounts

Families Up to three under 16's come at half price with each full paying adult.
Students Half price tickets for all Wednesday evenings booked in advance.
Groups 10 or more bookings save 20%. Call the groups line on 020 7382 7211.

For further details visit www.barbican.org.uk/bite

<small>[ 09 April 2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:13 am 

“Naharin’s Virus” opened at the Barbican on Wednesday Night and I was eager to go and see it. Many years ago I worked with William Louther who was the company’s artistic director back in the 1970’s and have followed the fortunes of the Batsheva Company with interest ever since. The work is based on Peter Handke’s play “Offending the Audience” and what I take to be extracts are performed throughout.

A white wind sock stands centre stage as you enter the auditorium swaying and buckling like a ghostly scarecrow: it is a strangely mesmerising entity. A female dancer enters in front of a wall and she draws a line across it before chalking out her own outline. Above the wall is a suited dancer who warns us that, “nothing is as it seems”. He then steps to one side to join the other dancers leaving his suit standing alone like a headless man.

The dancers perform singly and together and at intervals each of them approaches the wall to add some more graffiti. The dancers tell us something about themselves. One girl recalls how she awoke one morning to the realization that God was an invention “just like pizza”. She tells her mother and her mother beats her, but she finds she enjoyed the pain.

The wall at the back fills up with random words and drawings, but some letters scrawled large predominate: P-A-S-T-E-L-I-N-A, almost an anagram of Palestine. Walls are of great significance in Israel, the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem and now a wall dividing Israelis and Palestinians and it is clear from the programme notes that Naharin despises that which separates people and seeks to find that which draws them together. For this reason much of the music is by the Arab composer Habib Alla Jamal, a collaboration that has clearly benefited both sides of the divide they seek to breach.

Near to the end the original dancer/actor resumes his position behind the suit to warn the audience that he is about to insult us. He also tells us what we will do next: getting up; leaving the theatre; resuming our lives. The insults are mostly tame (turtle doves - an insult?) but “dirty Jews” did sound seriously abusive. This was political dance. It was dance to make you think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:30 am 

Quote:
Batsheva Dance Company

By JUDITH MACKRELL
The Guardian
April 30, 2004

Ohad Naharin has refused to give any clues as to why he titled his 2001 piece Naharin's Virus, but some of us in the audience might diagnose the bug for him. This a production infected with a chronic, debilitating condition, whose symptoms veer between sporadic fever and theatrical exhaustion.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:53 pm 

Quote:
Dance: Naharin's Virus

By CLEMENT CRISP
The Financial Times
April 30, 2004

"This is dancing you will not see anywhere else" says the Batsheva Dance Company's flyer, quoting an American newspaper. "Promise me, promise me!" is my response, "and I'll eat up all my spinach!" Of course you'll see it all over the place. It is, despite its Israeli creators, just another damn dull example of German Tanztheater.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:30 am 

Quote:
If you must insult me, do it properly

By JANN PARRY
The Observer
May 2, 2004

London's population is large and varied enough to supply first-night supporters for visiting national companies, even if invited guests aren't habitual dancegoers. 'How long is this going on?' groaned an elderly gent during the silent start of Batsheva Dance Company's Naharin's Virus. 'When can we leave?'
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:45 am 

Quote:
Be careful - this could be catching

By JENNY GILBERT
The Independent
May 2, 2004

Does this tell us that the author of the strange, fierce, un-beautiful activity on the Barbican stage was suffering during the creative process? No, the virus surely is the essence of the piece itself, spreading its potent message like droplets in a sneeze.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:41 am 

Quote:
Age cannot wither them

By ISMENE BROWN
The Daily Telegraph
May 6, 2004

Which I did not feel with Batsheva, the Israeli dance-theatre company of the world-renowned choreographer Ohad Naharin, whose Naharin's Virus is his reflection on his country's politics.
more in the second half of the linked article

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:39 am 

Virus
By David Dougill from The Sunday Times.

Another troupe making a one-off British appearance was Batsheva Dance Company, from Tel Aviv, at the Barbican for the Bite season, in the Israeli choreographer Ohad Naharin’s production titled Naharin’s Virus. (The “virus” is perhaps a political allusion.) We took our seats to the sight of a brilliant-white, cruciform air sock, fluttering in the gusts like a scarecrow. It seemed oddly poignant, hypnotic — much more so than the rest of the work.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:22 am 

Quote:
Life Squad
From Israel with love and power
by DEBORAH JOWITT for he Village Voice

They are passionate about all this, and their discipline and fervor combine provocatively with the prevailing toughness of the vocabulary.

published: November 23, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next