public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fashion World Inspired by Ballet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:01 pm 

At the Oscars, as reported by Sarah Tippit of Reuters:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Marisa Tomei wore a navy blue 20s inspired gown by Jurgen Simonsen with a ballet skirt, wrapped bodice, and a long diamond strand winding around her neck. "I feel light on my feet," she said. Kate Winslet wore a simple tomato red sheath with a single floral strap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020325/film_nm/oscars_fashion_3 target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:48 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Chanel, Versace Show Parisan Flair<P>By SUZY PATTERSON, Associated Press Writer <P>PARIS - Oscar de la Renta bid adieu to Paris on Tuesday with an haute couture show for the venerable Balmain fashion house that was an exercise in Russian-flavored chic before an appreciative, star-studded audience that included celebrities like Ivana Trump.<P>...<P>The strapless dance dresses in red and gold brocade or a black lace and tulle gown with a ruffled train like a peacock dragging its tail, and a Russian doll-style bride in softly pastel shaded brocade with her sable toque gave a sweet note to de la Renta's goodbye.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020709/ap_on_en_ot/france_fashion_8 target=_blank>More</a> on Yahoo!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:03 pm 

"...star-studded audience that included celebrities like Ivana Trump."<P>Great, but were there any A-list people there?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:23 pm 

Well, I was there! - oh - wait - where was it?<P><BR>I might have gone into the wrong room...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:43 am 

Dancing in the streets
By Louisa Pearson for The Scotsman

If there’s one influence that makes its mark on the catwalk year after year, it’s the world of dance. From Pringle’s wraparound cardigans to Kurt Geiger’s high-heeled ballet pumps, the glamour and theatricality of dance has been drawn upon again this season by numerous designers. Some, such as Christian Lacroix and Yves Saint Laurent, have previously taken it a stage further and designed for ballet productions. Of course, today a girl is as likely to grow up wanting to be a breakdancer as a ballerina and the influence of streetdance in fashion has never been stronger. However, the relationship between dance and fashion is a two-way street.

"I think there is a crossover both ways," says Janet Smith, Artistic Director of Scottish Dance Theatre. "I think people designing for dance are often influenced by fashion design. Obviously, for dance a lot of it is about the line of movement and not to cover it up with too many layers," she says. Smith points out that the influence of fashion on dance has at times been superficial, with clothes being used as a means of making work trendy, but she also points to the way that clothing can actually influence choreography.

click for more

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:55 pm 

In the paper:

Quote:
Hanes Energizes Creative Image with New Advertising Campaign Touting Style and Comfort
Wednesday October 23, 2:53 pm ET
Michael Jordan Urges Everyone to Go Tagless: Hanes Her Way Struts Contemporary Style

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., Oct. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Comfort never looked so good, or like so much fun. Hanes moves to a new beat in an all-new advertising campaign launching Monday, Oct. 28 that brings together the best in comfort and style punctuated with the unmatched expressions of basketball great Michael Jordan.

In the newest Hanes underwear commercial for the Hanes Tagless T-shirt, men go to all extremes to find relief from their irritating T-shirt tags in different dance scenes played against music mimicking their scratching. Jordan provides the ultimate call to action, shaking his head in disbelief, "It's got to be the tag. Go Tagless." The commercial closes with the Hanes tagline, "Hanes comfort. It's a beautiful thing." more

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:28 pm 

And dancers in a fashion show:

Quote:
Models to pirouette on runway for good cause

Caterina Mellinger, San Ramon Valley Times

DIABLO BALLET - Dancers from the Diablo Ballet are getting ready to walk down the runway as they model the latest fashions at an April 16 luncheon at Round Hill Country Club in Alamo. <a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/5511820.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:56 pm 

Good, plaid and the ugly
We shouldn't be ashamed about how we sell Scotland, tartan and all. By Ruaridh Nicoll for The Observer.

They used shock tactics. A member of the New York Ballet came charging down a catwalk, his face done up in Braveheart blue and white, a kilt loosely wrapped around his waist. Here was our culture, projected to the world, and it certainly shocked. This was 'Dressed to Kilt', an event that took place on Tuesday in New York, part of the execrably named Tartan Week.
The only answer to this sort of American enthusiasm is a bit of sniffy Scottish cynicism, provided with aplomb by the golf writer Malcolm Campbell, who leaned over and asked of the warpaint: 'Do you think that's the right shade of pantone?'

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:09 pm 

Do you think we could get Ruaridh to review some dance productions? His(?) description of the kilted fireman knocking over the Irish tenor had me falling off my chair with laughter. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:25 pm 

This article shows the ugliest frock I have ever seen!

All dressed up and ready to dance
By Hilary Alexander, Daily Telegraph Fashion Editor in Paris

After several years of pounding a well-worn track along the ethnic trail, John Galliano is dancing to a new beat at Christian Dior.

Galliano adds a touch of flamenco to a billowing gown
His autumn/winter couture collection for the house, shown in Paris yesterday was an "Invitation to The Dance".

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:48 am 

...just a touch of flamenco...

You're right, it seems to be the ugliest garment ever made by anyone ever.

With the possible exception of the new McDonald's uniforms...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:04 am 

"With the possible exception of the new McDonald's uniforms..."

Is that with or without the tomato ketchup decoration?

<small>[ 08 July 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:19 am 

The flamenco skirt with football shirt and tweed cap sounds good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:40 am 

Oh my gawd! I agree, the ugliest dress ever. How dare Galliano associate it with dance? It is just so icky....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:58 am 

Yeah, I wouldn't want to dance in it and anyway it's not my colour.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next