public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PNB and Royal Danish Ballet Exchange
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 9:08 am 

As noted in PNB's season-opening reviews of Coppelia, Thomas Lund of the Royal Danish Ballet was featured as a guest artist in the role of Franz. This was announced to PNB subscribers as part of a blossoming exchange program with RDB. (Patricia Barker of PNB performed Balanchine's Symphony in C in Copenhagen last spring.) This comes about because the current RDB artistic director, Aage Thordal-Christensen and his wife, Colleen Neary, performed with PNB from 1986-92. Recently-promoted PNB soloist Jodie Thomas will perform the Bluebird pas de deux in Copenhagen in December. There are also plans to send PNB to Copenhagen and RDB to Seattle (cf., San Francisco and POB this season).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PNB and Royal Danish Ballet Exchange
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 9:58 pm 
Excellent news, Francis! By the way, do you know if PNB is to tour Shanghai next season? I heard a mention of this possibility when the company was in Hong Kong last summer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 8:25 am 

Hi, Kevin. I tried to check with Brad at PNB this morning, only to discover that he has been replaced by someone named Kim, who says that there are no plans regarding Shanghai for next season. The PNB website is also "down" this morning, so I am unable to verify further....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 3:00 pm 

The PNB website has now returned....However, there is *no* prospective tour information posted. (Plenty of retrospective information, critical digest of reviews from Istanbul and Hong Kong, information on repertoire available for touring, etc.). My guess is that your information is probably quite valid, but that there is an official embargo until funding, sponsorship and other details are in concrete.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 4:49 pm 
Thanks a lot, Francis. If I remember rightly, there was a mention of plans of an overseas tour by PNB to Egypt as well as Shanghai in the future. Well, Shanghai is quite near Hong Kong, for me.<p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited October 17, 2000).]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 5:10 am 
Thomas Lund has now returned to Copenhagen, and is apparently rehearsing for Neumeier's Romeo and Juliet which opens at the Royal Theatre in Copenhagen on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:19 pm 

Mr. Lund's website is very nearly ideal, I should say! It includes a striking photo gallery, of which the photo above (of Rubies) is only one. It's well worth a couple of mouse clicks.

Profile E-mail