public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet - (terrific story)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 5:04 am 

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:<P><B>Barn dancers<P>Some of the nation's top ballet artists trained at the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet in Carlisle. Many are returning to do a benefit for "the Barn."</B> <BR> <BR>By Ellen Dunkel <BR>FOR THE INQUIRER <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>CARLISLE, Pa. - The LeBlanc girls spent their childhood in ballet classes in the small college town of Carlisle, in Cumberland County. Today, Tina LeBlanc is a principal dancer at the San Francisco Ballet, where sister Sherri is a soloist. Laurie, the oldest, danced in several companies, including the Pennsylvania Ballet. Now she teaches ballet in Los Angeles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/06/17/arts_and_entertainment/DANCER17.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet - (terrific story)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:22 am 

It's nice to see the school get some recognition and also to see the LeBlanc sisters get some national attention. Both Tina and Sherri LeBlanc are beautiful and technically accomplished dancers with different styles. However, I don't think SFB audiences got to see enough of them last season; neither seemed to have captured the imagination of the SF media either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 10:20 am 

Basheva, great article! I knew CPYB had an excellent reputation, but to see the list of alumni who have gone on to major companies -- that's impressive!<p>[This message has been edited by nancy (edited June 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 10:16 am 

I was just about to post that article! I was quite excited to see that in my Sunday newspaper as I will be attneding their Summer Intensive program in 5 days Image The rules sounds very strict- but I've heard the teaching is top rate.<P>------------------<BR><B>~Dance Diva</B>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:09 am 

Welcome to the board, Dance Diva - it's a pleasure to have you join us.<P>And, lots of luck and fun with your summer intensive.....please tell us all about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 1:04 pm 

And an update (by a terrific writer, btw, who was also an incredible dancer):<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Guru in an Outpost of Ballet Wisdom</B><P>Joseph Carman, NY Times<P>CARLISLE, Pa. -- LONDON, Paris, St. Petersburg and New York are well known for their first- rate ballet academies, training many of the best dancers in the classical form. Add to that list Carlisle, Pa., a town with fewer than 20,000 people and a modest economy driven by state government jobs and the defense industry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/05/arts/dance/05CARM.html target=_blank><B>More</B></a><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited August 05, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 4:44 pm 

I really like the phrase "You're only as good as your worst student"!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:32 pm 

Dance Diva--<P> I also attended cpybs summer program this year...what level were you in? what dorm? Who was your roomate? maybe i saw you! I really enjoyed it, didnt you? I thought that the training was really incredible! --twinkletoes<P>

Profile E-mail