public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballet Jorgen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 12:19 pm 

From the Globe & Mail, Jan 15/01:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Classical dance with an edge<BR>Ballet Jorgen comes of age</B><BR>Ballet Jorgen, the small, Toronto-based company -- the only one in Canada committed to nurturing new choreographic talent within classical dance -- presented one of its strongest programs ever this weekend.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>To read more,<BR>Netscape users: Search "Jorgen" on the front page of the <A HREF="http://www.globeandmail.com" TARGET=_blank>Globe and Mail</A><BR>IE users: Use this <a href="http://archives.theglobeandmail.com/s97is.vts?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2Fhome6%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fgam%2Fsearch%2Fhtml%2F20010115%2FRVDANC%2Ehtml&DocOffset=1&DocsFound=1&QueryZip=b allet+jorgen&Collection=TGAM&SortField=sortdate&ViewTemplate=GAMDocView%2Ehts&SearchUrl=http%3A%2F%2Farchives%2Etheglobeandmail%2Ecom%2Fs97is%2Evts%3FQueryZip%3Dballet%2Bjorgen%26R esultTemplate%3DGAMResults%252Ehts%26QueryText%3Dballet%2Bjorgen%26Collection%3DTGAM%26SortField%3Dsortdate%26ViewTemplate%3DGAMDocView%252Ehts%26ResultStart%3D1%26ResultCount%3D10 &" target="blank">link</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ballet Jorgen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 11:34 pm 

Thanks for this Marie, specially the neat way of coping with the clunky G&M links.<P>How do you and others feel about the statement that, '...the only one in Canada committed to nurturing new choreographic talent within classical dance...'<P>Are the major Canadian companies neglecting young choreographers? <P>For instance, the RB has a various outlets for young talent, as this topic shows:<P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000628.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000628.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 11:22 am 

Good question Stuart. If you're not employed by a particular company it's difficult to assess what goes on there. From what I see of Canada's classical companies if the artists go out on their own and produce work, like in a festival setting, the company may or may not use it in their program later on. I don't know that companies have any particular programs to develop choreographic talent--I haven't heard of any. This may have something to do with budgets or maybe it's just politics, hard to say. It could also have something to do with ballet audiences in Canada, they seem very conservative to me. Ballet BC lost a lot of it's subscribers when John Alleyne programmed Forsythe, etc., because they want to see the classics or even the pseudo-classics, ie. Alleyne's ballets based on Shakespeare...<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 10:06 am 

The comment is absurd. Moreover, while Jorgen is making a worthwhile attempt, he's a long way off from succeeding. Every program I've seen has a "work in progress" feel to it. Great ideas that seem unfufilled.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 12:40 pm 

But..but...but...Deirdre Kelly says this in the Globe article:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>While the nearly two-hour program featured mostly revivals of works that Ballet Jorgen has presented on earlier outings . . . most had been sharply reworked to give them freshness.<P>These included Jorgen's own Swedish Songs (A Journey of my Heart) that looked even more beautiful than the first time it was performed, way back in 1994.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I haven't seen Ballet Jorgen Shag so I'm not disputing your comments, but since you disagree with the statement that Jorgen is the only company encouraging choreographic talent could you please tell me how other companies in Canada are currently doing this?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 1:09 pm 

I'm going to jump ahead and answer my own question, since I came across this article on the CBC's <A HREF="http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca" TARGET=_blank>Infoculture</A> website from Oct 27/00:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Alberta Ballet premieres Festival of New Works</B><P>Alberta Ballet is presenting its first Festival of New Works in Calgary this weekend.<P>Artistic Director Mikko Nissenen commissioned five young choreographers to create new works for the company.<P>It's an artistic risk for a young company that's built its reputation in classical ballet, but Alberta Ballet wants to be at the forefront of the evolution of ballet as an art form.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><a href="http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/dance/dance_10272000_albertaballet.phtml" target="blank">more...</a><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited January 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 12:15 pm 

I saw Ballet Jorgen's programme two weeks ago and quite enjoyed it, but I have to take issue with their assertion about being the only company in Canada nurturing new classical choreographers. As just one example, The National Ballet of Canada re-instituted it's Choreographic Workshop this season. It give company members an opportunity to choreograph on other company members, then perform in a multi-night showcase, using a new piece James Kudelka choreographed as a "hook." Some of it was great; some was self-indulgent dreck; but at least it was an outlet and it was certainly worth seeing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:53 pm 

Hi Bill! Welcome to criticaldance and for the valuable information about the NBoC workshop performance. If you search (top right) on National Ballet of Canada you'll find about 6 topics on various productions. <P>Looking forward to reading more of your posts here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 4:16 pm 

Let me add my welcome to Stuart's, Bill - <P>I think it's a great way to nurture new choreographers by letting them set work on other company members. I wish more companies did that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2001 11:16 am 

Another welcome to Bill!<P>I think we actually met a few years ago in an adult ballet class...<P>Good to "see" you again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2001 8:25 pm 

Thanks for letting us know about the choreographic workshop Bill. Where was it held? You don't happen to remember who showed work, do you?<p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited January 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 1:34 pm 

Hello All:<P>Thanks for the nice welcomes. The performance of the choreographic workshop was at the Betty Oliphant Theatre. I'll see if I can find my programme to tell you who offered pieces. One in particular (actually two - it was offered in two sections) that was quite memorable was Naughty Bijou, choreographed by Matjash Mrozewski and premiered at fFida the summer before. Marine Lamy danced Bijou (the cat) the evening I saw it and was amazing. More to come later. Bill

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:23 am 

Andrea Nemetz - Halifax Herald, April 1, 2002:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Dancers bring classic tale Coppelia to life</B><P>Ballet Jorgen Canada delivered a sumptuous feast for the senses to a Halifax audience hungry for a full-length ballet on Saturday night at the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium. <P>Sweethearts Klara (Tara Butler) and Nathanael (Paul-Anthony Chambers) set the tone for the evening with a light-hearted, humorous pas de deux, a lively celebration of being young and in love with a future of limitless possibilities. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><B>more...</B><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 7:14 am 

Paula Citron - Globe & Mail, May 13, 2002:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Five ways to celebrate spring<BR></B><P>With the demise of expensive choreographic workshops, opportunities for ballet choreographers are few and far between. Thus, Ballet Jorgen's 1987 mandate to commission original works has taken on more significance over the years, despite uneven choreographic results. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>To read more search PAULA CITRON on the <A HREF="http://www.globeandmail.com" TARGET=_blank>Globe & Mail</A> 7 Day Search<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:31 pm 

In the Toronto Star, William Littler reviews Ballet Jorgen's Coppelia at the Toronto Centre for the Performing Arts:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1082671810854

Profile E-mail