public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joanna Berman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 8:28 am 

In the chat room on londondance.com this afternoon, Mark Morris described Joanna as 'a genius'.<P>A full transcript is available on <A HREF="http://www.londondance.com/Content.asp?Level=4&SubSection=567" TARGET=_blank><B>londondance.com</B></A>. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Joanna Berman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 9:37 am 

Well..she is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 10:21 am 

She makes me feel to Monique Loudières, she has a sensibility in her dance which make of her one of the great ballerina of this era.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 10:35 am 

Yep, she's a genius alright. And a lovely, funny, funny woman.<P>d

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:00 am 

Not to mention beautiful inside and outside. Here's an interview by our Emma:<P> Image <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>An Interview with Joanna Berman,<BR>Principal Dancer</B><P>"I didn't have a revelation at any one point; I just knew I always wanted to dance."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=../../../interviews/jberman010815.html target=_blank><B>More</B></a><P><BR>And here is something from our SFB-in-London diary which illustrates some of Joanna's personality:<P><a href=../../../sfb/sfblondon2001day3.html target=_blank><B>Diary Day 3</B></a><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:14 pm 

That solo for Joanna Mark Morris mentioned will be included on Program 5 during SFB's Repertory Season.<p>[This message has been edited by LMCtech (edited October 19, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 12:27 am 

It pains me that I only discovered Ms Berman this year when SFB was in London. Now two dancers I admire will be retired - Joanna and Altynai Asylmuratova.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:32 am 

Here's the official announcement of something none of us really wanted to hear. She will be sorely missed.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Berman bows out of ballet<P>David Wiegand <P>Say it ain't so, Jo. <P>San Francisco Ballet principal Joanna Berman has delivered the news many audience members have been dreading: The San Rafael native will hang up her toe shoes at the end of the 2002 season after 18 years with the company. <P>"The truth is, I feel really good," Berman said this week. "It's more about going to something than leaving something. The first thing on my mind is that I want to try to start a family."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/10/24/DD94974.DTL&type=performance" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:03 pm 

OK.<P>I just read someone call Joanna "controversial" on another website. (She was also called boring. Whatever.)I was a little puzzled. Has anyone ever read or heard anything bad about her? I understand all the European critics loved her. I know the SF critics do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 3:42 pm 

You're right LMCTech, the UK critics loved Joanna. For me it is her musicality and her grace that I admire greatly. However, her Odette/Odile (much admired by Mark Morris) showed how strong her technique is. In general I can't remember anything but praise for her beautiful, unfussy dancing.<P>I don't know who thinks her 'controversial' or 'boring', but personally I'd pay more attention to the views of Mark Morris, who knows a thing or two about dancers. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 24, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:14 pm 

Morris isn't the only one who admires Berman. She is also a favorite of many great choreographers, including David Bintley.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 11:04 pm 

Oh LMC-<BR>The comments regarding controversy and dull came from my old pal Alexandra T - and she's just stirring up trouble - as she likes to do over there. You handled the post much better then I am capable of. I had to close the BA Window before I could post a response -and it wouldn't have been nice, going down to her level isn't the best way to handle those kinds of remarks. :-) <P>Vive la Criticaldance.com (and Joanna Berman!)<P>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:41 am 

For controversial, substitute, diplomatic and for boring substitute graceful and charming.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 8:47 am 

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only a little taken aback by what was written. When I read it to people in the office they were a little miffed at the "diss" to Joanna.<P>I haven't been back to see if anyone else has posted in defense of this very lovely dancer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:59 am 

Remember, folks, it's always best to debate issues rather than personalities.

Profile E-mail