public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ABT Studio Company 2004 -2006
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:25 am 

I was just visiting the ABT site and noticed that the pictures of most of the new Studio Company members for 2004-2005 are up. Unfortunately their biographies are not posted as of yet but hopefully they will be very soon. They certainly are a handsome bunch! Any comments about this new crop of hopefuls?

<small>[ 03 September 2004, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

Post subject: Re: ABT Studio Company 2004-05
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:48 pm 

Greetings!

Thank you for posting about the new ABT Studio Company members! I was aware of most of them, but the last I'd heard, they were still waiting for several to decide about contracts.

Having not been in NY this year, I've missed the opportunity to see the 2003-04 Studio Company and did not get chance to see the Summer Intensive Final Performance in which many of these dancers performed. Thus, I really don't know much about them, but did see a couple dance last summer.

Both Gray Davis and Joseph Gatti were Youth America Grand Prix medalist. Gatti spent the past year at the Royal Ballet School, and Davis was offered a contract at the Royal Danish Ballet, but decided not to take it.

I look forward to reports about the Studio Company's performances this year!
Kate

<small>[ 04 September 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:17 pm 

N. Curry is a recent grad of Canada's National Ballet school, and I have read that she was a scholarship recipient from ABT for a number of years.

If memory serves, A. Wong is from Goh Ballet Academy in Vancouver, BC and a winner at this year's Prix de Lausanne.

Congratulations to all the new Studio Company members!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:16 am 

Greetings!
This article is not directly related to the Studio Company, but since many of the Studio Company members are selected out of the NY Summer Intensive, it seems appropriate for this thread.

Quote:
A Portrait of the Dancer as a Young Man (in Pain)

By SYLVIANE GOLD
The NY TImes
Published: September 5, 2004

In lots of ways, Jordan Cohen is a typical 14-year-old. One of his favorite bands, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, is on his cellphone. After dinner, he watches Conan O'Brien reruns on Comedy Central. He's given to hyperbole: "That was the best pasta I've ever had in my whole life."

But this summer, instead of hanging at the beach or going to camp with other San Diego ninth-graders, Jordan packed 4 pairs of black tights, 6 pairs of ballet shoes and 14 T-shirts and came to New York.
Click here for more

<small>[ 05 September 2004, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:12 pm 

I just walked past the Skirball Center (in the village). The ABT Studio company will be performing there on December 3RD & 4TH.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:23 am 

I've noticed that there hasn't been much talk about the Studio Company in recent months and I'm curious about why this is? Their performance at Linbury Studio Theatre (a major performance for them this year) only had one review by Zoe Anderson which seemed quite reserved to say the least. I know these are an amazing group of kids who have reached a high technical level and I'm abit perplexed that there isn't more talk by people who have seen them perform throughout the year. I'm planning on attending their April performance at Lincoln Center so hopefully I'll be able to post on that! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:05 pm 

You can read the Zoe Andersen review here.

I'm not sure why the Studio Company performance didn't get more attention, though I do remember reading another review or mention somewhere. Perhaps the performance came at the same time as other performances, so critics were otherwise occupied.

I do miss the chance to see them perform - it's a sneak peak of the next bunch of ballet talent. So I look forward to reading your thought about their NYC performace!

kate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:03 am 

Thanks Kate, I'll be sure to post my thoughts here! Yes I believe you're right in that there must have been other things going on at the time for them to get such little press in London. They've done extensive touring this year as compared to last year so I was hoping there would be more feedback (reviews) even at the smaller venues. They are touring to Wallingford Conneticut this weekend so perhaps someone here will get the chance to see them and post their thoughts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:54 am 

Quote:
Showcase Night for a Troupe of Performers-in-Progress
by JACK ANDERSON for the New York Times

Seventeen students from Ballet Theater's Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School joined 12 Studio dancers in Jessica Lang's ritualistic ''Veiled Calling,'' to music by Zbigniew Preisner. All looked impressively intense in some sweeping ensembles.

published: April 23, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:59 am 

Some posts from another topic being combined into this one:

Hello! I just went on the ABT site and just discovered that the Studio Company members finally have their bios posted. It's been along time coming but worth the wait as they are a very interesting bunch with varied training backgrounds and experience. Lilybee

Isolde

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: ABT Studio Company

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to see Nicola Curry who trained at Canada's National Ballet School dance Odette in Swan Lake her last year at the school and she's a very gifted dancer with solid technique and beautiful presence on stage.

<small>[ 07 January 2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Isolde ]</small>

ksneds

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:46 pm Post subject: Re: ABT Studio Company

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABT STUDIO COMPANY AND THE ROYAL BALLET SCHOOL EXCHANGE PLACES FOR PERFORMANCES, MASTER CLASSES AND SEMINARS

The Royal Ballet School to Perform at NYU’s Skirball Center, February 18-19
ABT Studio Company to Appear at Covent Garden’s Linbury Theatre, April 1-2

1/14/2005 - In February and April, the ABT Studio Company and The Royal Ballet School will travel to each other’s respective homes for performances, master classes and training sessions with senior coaching staff. The two companies last participated in this unique exchange in 2003.
The graduate students of The Royal Ballet School, along with director Gailene Stock, will come to New York for performances at NYU’s Jack H. Skirball Center for the Performing Arts February 18 and 19. The RBS repertory will include Sir Frederick Ashton’s Monotones II, Kirk Peterson’s The Eyes That Gently Touch, Robert Hill’s Piano Concerto No. 2, and Paul Boyd’s Uneven Ground, as well as excerpts from Ashton’s La Fille mal gardée and Marius Petipa’s Raymonda.
While in New York, the RBS will hold auditions for students ages 14 through 18 who wish to attend the Upper School in London in 2005-2006. Auditions will be held on Saturday, February 19 at The Ailey Studios at 405 West 55th Street. On Sunday, February 20, Ms. Stock and the RBS senior coaching staff will conduct a master class for students ages 10 through 18, also at Ailey Studios.
On April 1 and 2, the ABT Studio Company will perform at London’s Linbury Theatre at Covent Garden. Performances will include Arthur Saint-Leon’s La Vivandiere, Anton Dolin’s Variations for Four, Brian Reeder’s Tea and Temptation, Stephen Mills’ Hush, and the pas de deux from Milk Pool by Laura Gorenstein Miller.
Performances by The Royal Ballet School at the Skirball Center are at 8:00 P.M. on Friday, February 18 and at 2:00 P.M. and 8:00 P.M. on Saturday, February 19. Tickets priced at $32, $22 for ABT members and $12 for students are available by calling 212-992-8484 or at www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu. The Skirball Center is located at 566 LaGuardia Place at Washington Square South in New York City.
For more information on performances with the Royal Ballet School and the ABT Studio Company, please call the ABT Education Department at 212-477-3030, ext. 3206.

Lilybee

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:49 pm Post subject: Re: ABT Studio Company

ABT Studio Company will be traveling to Bermuda on Feb. 26th for a Gala of dance under chairwoman Catherine Zeta-Jones. ABT will be begin another SI there and will be their first outside the U.S.
ABT Studio Company

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:08 am 

Greetings

As announced in the Boston Ballet press release, Roman Zavarov has a corps contract with the Boston Ballet:

Quote:
Also joining the corps de ballet are Alfonso Martin and Ashley Blade Martin from Tulsa Ballet; Daniel Cooper, a former apprentice with San Francisco Ballet; Gabor Kapin, from Richmond Ballet; Daniel Sarabia from the National Ballet of Cuba; and Roman Zavarov, a Boston Ballet School alumnus and former member of American Ballet Theatre’s Studio Company.

Kate