public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dance Videos for Christmas
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 1999 9:05 am 

So, there's nothing on at the local theatre, except 'The Nutcracker' and you've been to see it, but don't really want to see it again this year.<P>What are the dance videos that you are looking forward to, in order to give Christmas a dance flavour? My own video collection is sparce, as I don't have a TV! But I will look forward to seeing the POB version of Nijinska's 'Les Noces'on a friend's set. Strange, wonderful and a work that pushed back the frontiers of what ballet can be. The beauty of some of the tableaux brings tears to my eyes. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 12-11-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance Videos for Christmas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 1999 9:26 pm 

Stuart,<P>You don't have a TV?!!! Well, maybe that's not so strange. I have a TV but no cable and therefore no reception. I just use it to watch videos.<P>As for me, I would like to watch the movie Nijinsky with Alan Bates in the title role. I usually find the period near the end of the year a good time to reflect on the lives and souls of those involved in dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 1999 1:39 pm 

I had some fun with dance videos over Christmas. I saw a 1993 UK TV programme about Sylvie Guilleme, which is available on video now. Apart from being an exceptional dancer, she shows herself to be very bright and single-minded. However, this strength lead to an inability to work with Kenneth MacMillan which was perhaps more her loss than his. Her performances as Manon show how his choreography fits her like a glove. The highlight was an electrifying fragment of Ms Guilleme performing with Laurent Hilaire in Forsythe's 'In the Middle Somewhat Elevated'.<P>I also saw the new ABT 'Le Corsaire' video and enjoyed it greatly, although it is basically a pure dance piece. I cannot believe that anyone could say that the work has any emotional content and none of the one-dimensional characters inspire any sympathy. Unlike some, I thought the dancers' description of the dippy plot very jolly. <P>I revelled in the strong performances from the Principals and Corella and Herrara impressed me the most. Steifel danced very well, but his hamming (not sure what else you can do with his role as the Pirate Chief) sometimes obtruded into his dancing. <P>The other delight of Christmas was turning on the TV and by chance seeing the last 30 minutes of 'An American in Paris'. The final extended dance sequence still looks wonderful. The designs are great and the score by Gershwin is divine. The dancing, sustained by the versatile Gene Kelly, in a variety of dance forms, is delightful and a fine advertisement for performance dance. Apparently almost a quarter of the whole budget for the film went on the final ballet sequence.<P>If by chance you have not seen this movie, run do not walk to your nearest up-market video store.<P>Did anyone else see anything interesting over Christmas?<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 12-28-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 1999 2:09 pm 

Unfortunately, I did not get to any of my dance videos. I keep thinking I'll have time during the holidays... and now I realize it's New Year's Eve! Ay caramba!<P>Well, I do have several hours left.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]