public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYCB Dancers on Tour
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:26 pm 

A small touring group of NYCB dancers will be performing in Santa Fe, NM in October. Does anyone know if they will be going to other cities?

<font size=-2>[Edited to clarify title.]</font size>

<small>[ 09-18-2002, 21:24: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NYCB Dancers on Tour
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:30 am 

Do you know which dancers will be there? A quick search on Google didn't turn up any more information for me.

ME:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:53 pm 

ME:) Try http://santafe.org/Calendar_of_Events/
and click on October :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:19 am 

This would appear to be a tribute to the producer of the Dance of America Series (Merill Brockway) who will be talking about film/video clips from that series, presumably including the Balanchine Celebration. Note the admission price: $5.00. Not a live performance, certainly....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:26 am 

Well, but then a few days later they note that Charles Askegaard, Maria Kowroski, Jenifer Ringer, Wendy Whelan will be there and doing Agon, In the Night. It's very interesting. I can't find any other dates online though. What a treat to have a sort of NYCB chamber company come out though!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:10 pm 

The NYCB dancers are in London next week. Here is some preview information in the "UK performance" forum.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:20 pm 

Ah...on Friday, October 11! (At much more recognizable prices -- $55/45/35!). There does not seem to be much overlap between the group performing in London and this one in Santa Fe. The "off season" informal touring group phenomenon. Thanks for pointing us toward this one, Jillana!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:36 pm 

Welcome :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:23 pm 

They will be coming to Dallas on October 5th, and youd have to be creative to think of anything that would keep me away from that performance.

Uh oh. Except for that football game that my boyfriend really wants to go to. Well, Grambling and Prairie View A&M will play again next year, ha ha ha. :)

The dancers on the bill are ock Soto, Maria Kowroski, Sebastien Marcovici, Jennifer Tinsley, Jason Fowler, and Ashley Bouder, and it appears they will perform the pas de deux from Agon and Stars and Stripes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:41 pm 

I saw the touring memebers of NYCB that i mentioned above on saturday evening.

Sebatien Marcovici and Janie Taylor performed the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, Marcovici and Jennifer Tinsley did the pas de deux from Chaccone, Jock Soto, Maria Kowroski, Jason Fowler, and Ashley Bouder performed the Barber Violin Concerto, Jock Soto and Kowroski did the pas de deux from Agon, and Fowler and Tinsley did the pas de deux from Stars and Stripes.

I had never seen any of the NYCB dancers nor any of this choreography live before, so it was quite a treat for me! And i might be biased about saying how great everyone was. :)

Janie Taylor and the Tchaikovsky piece were last minute additions to the program since a student performance of the Black Swan pas de deux was cut due to injury, and you could tell that it was last minute, but they danced beautifully none the less.

Chaconne was favored by the crowd... especially Marcovici's variation. Unfortuantely i dont remember much of this piece. I think the rest of the performance pushed it out of my long term memory. :)

The Berber Concerto was amazingly done. I had no idea what to expect from it, and i thought it was very powerful. Soto was extremely expressive... almost evil looking. My boyfriend, a ballet layman if there ever was one, was especially impressed by his performance. Kowroski was just gorgeous... she awed me so much I bought her shoes. :) (only $25... i hear they're much more expencive up in NYC) Soto's and Kowroski's pas de deux was just amazing... the battle between classical and modern was beautiful. I admit i damn near cried during this dance. :) The audience especially enjoyed bouder and fowler's ecstatic pas de deux.

I had his Agon pas de deux on video tape before, but you never catch the energy of it on tape like you do when you're sitting in the third row! Again, Kowroski and Soto were just exquisite.

Now, I worried about the Stars and Stripes pas de deux. Im afraid that Jennifer Tinsley must have hurt herself during her first dance, because she seemed quite in pain all through this piece. In fact, in an early foot-in-hand promenade, i was afraid she wasnt going to make it all the way around, and in the middle during a low volume point in the music, she could be heard gasping loudly from where i was sitting. Her turns suffered. I think Folwer must have been thrown off by this as well, because he didnt hit his jumps quite as cleanly as he had in the earlier pieces.

The Dallas Ballet Center, the school that sponsored this event, plans on bringing back a group of NCYB dancers every fall. I'll be back every year. :)

<small>[ 10-07-2002, 18:42: Message edited by: gaeadea ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:18 am 

Gaeadea … wow! With this five (yes, count-‘em five) smiley review ( ;) ), I suspect that even touring-toughened cookies (like I’m sure the New York City Ballet touring company dancers are) might treat themselves to the veriest hint of a smile.

What I wouldn’t give to experience the New York City Ballet "Barber Violin Concerto" again for the first time. Did they do the whole thing or just the second movement (the andante … is it the andante) ? Did they perform to live music?

They brought the Barber to Orange County a few years ago, and it was Wendy Whelan and Jock Soto and they were magnificent. Now that you say so, I can imagine the Maria Kowroski / Jock Soto casting.

Can you give us the entire evening’s program? I’m very tempted to drop all—never mind what they say about credit card debt—and brave the millions of hot air balloon fanatics converging around Albuquerque (the annual Kodak Balloon Festival, y'know) to get to Santa Fe for the New Mexico appearances Jillana mentioned.

Also, besides the smileys, we now add another way to express our admiration for a stellar performance … acquiring their old pointe shoes (and they say the balletomania of the ancien regime no longer exists) …

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:10 am 

But gaeadea said nothing about drinking champagne from said footware.

<small>[ 10-08-2002, 05:11: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:50 am 

....and unhitching the horses from the ballerina's carriage and pulling it through the snowy streets....

(silly me, there are no snowy streets in Santa Fe)

.....or giving the ballerina a diamond brooch to pin on her tutu.....

ah - those days are over.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:04 pm 

Yeah, i knew i went overboard on the smilies as soon as it took me back to the board and i saw allll that yellow. :)

I'm not familiar with the piece but they only performed parts of everything they did, so im guessing it was just one section of it. It started out with both couples on stage dancing together... the classical couple and the modern, and then the modern guy (soto) and the classical girl (kowroski) danced alone, and then fowler and bouder.

I think i covered everything the NYCB dancers did in the above post. It was actually a performance sponsored by the Dallas Ballet Center, which is where Tinsley and Fowler actually studied there in Dallas. DBC has 2 pre-professional companies (junior and senior) that perform in the area. So the first half of the performance was taken up mostly by the senior company, who performed a stars and strips-esque piece followed by a neoclassical piece. And the students were actually suprisingly good. Much more polished and professional looking than a certain small prof. troup that shall remain nameless that performs around here.

The music was canned. Which really didnt bother me, because it was well-edited and sounded pretty good. the venue was much too small for live music (It was at the McFarlin auditorium down at SMU).

I wasnt even planning on buying shoes. I walked up to the merchendise table, saw them, and HAD to have them.

I joked later that i was going to boil them to make a stew. Yet another common practice of the ballet freaks of the past!

/me attempts to cut down on the smilies...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:20 pm 

Gaeadea - I got Louise Nadeau's point shoes at PNB this last Saturday night for $30 ;)

Profile E-mail