public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: New York City Ballet Spring Season 2003
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:13 pm 

Hi!
Since, spring has arrived, it's time for a new thread! Here are some tidbits to start out with:

NYCB will be touring to Copenhagen and St. Petersburg in September.

Abi Stafford and Tyler Angle (SAB, younger brother of NYCB soloist Jared Angle) are the recepients of the 2003 Martin Segal Award. Congratulations to both!

Kate

Post subject: Re: New York City Ballet Spring Season 2003
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:43 pm 
I thought that NYCB will tour St. Petersburg during the White Nights Festival, in late July.

http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001750

It is good to see that they will dance a lot of Balanchine ballets on this tour, more than they dance at home these days.

<small>[ 26 March 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:29 pm 

I stand corrected! They will be in Russia in July, and Denmark in August or September.

That makes a very long spring for the company-8 or 9 weeks in NYC, right to three weeks in Saratoga and then straight to St. Petersburg.

Kate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:49 pm 

More tidbits:

Tour dates:
July 30-August 5: St. Petersburg, Russia
September 1-7: Copenhagen, Denmark
March 1-7, 2004: Kennedy Center, Washington DC

Spring Season news:

*John Adams will be conducting the May 14 and 15 peformancs of Martins' new ballet "Guide to Strange Places".

*On May 5th , there will be a seminar at the NY State Theatre on Christopher Wheeldon's upcoming ballet "Carnival of the Animals", with Wheeldon, John Lithgow and Christine Redpath. The event is from 5:30-6:30pm and is $5 for admission, free to NYCB Guild members.

Look for casting for the first week of performances to be posted the week of April 21!

Kate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:41 am 

Hi!
Casting for the first week of the NYCB Spring season has been posted. It's unclear whether Hubbe will dance at all this season, and I'll be really excited to see Woetzel back on stage if he does dance during the first week.
Millepied and Tewsley are absent from the casting, but most of the week is "Swan Lake", and that limits the number of principal dancers performing. I'm still hoping to see Tewsley in "Swan Lake" Ashley Bouder is injured, hopefully to be dancing again sometime in the spring season.

APRIL 29 - MAY 4, 2003
TUESDAY EVENING, APRIL 29 AT 7:30PM
Donizetti Variations: RINGER, WOETZEL
Intermission
Symphony in Three Movements: WHELAN, van KIPNIS, A. STAFFORD, SOTO, GOLD, HIGGINS
Intermission
Chaconne: NICHOLS, MARTINS, EDGE, *CARMENA, NATANYA, BESKOW, FOWLER, RIGGINS, ABERGEL, GOLBIN, ROBERTSON, la COUR

WEDNESDAY EVENING, APRIL 30 AT 8:00PM
Donizetti Variations: RINGER, WOETZEL
Intermission
Agon: WHELAN, SOTO, BOAL, McBREARTY, HANSON, SOMOGYI, HANNA, FOWLER
Intermission
In G Major: KOWROSKI, NEAL [Grant]

THURSDAY EVENING, MAY 1 AT 8:00PM
Chaconne: KISTLER, NEAL, EDGE, CARMENA, NATANYA, BESKOW, FOWLER, RIGGINS, ABERGEL, GOLBIN, ROBERTSON, la COUR
Intermission
Interplay: RICARD, RIGGINS, ASH, MANDRADJIEFF, HANNA, HENDRICKSON, ULBRICHT, J. STAFFORD
Pause
Sinfonia: MARCOVICI, KÖRBES, TAYLOR, FAIRCHILD [Grant, Nikkanen]
Intermission
Symphony in Three Movements: WHELAN, van KIPNIS, A. STAFFORD, SOTO, GOLD, HIGGINS

FRIDAY EVENING, MAY 2 AT 8:00PM [Quinn]
Swan Lake:
Odette/Odile: WHELAN
Pr. Siegfried: WOETZEL
Von Rothbart: FAYETTE

SATURDAY, MAY 3 AT 2:00PM [Moredock]
Swan Lake:
Odette/Odile: KOWROSKI
Pr. Siegfried: ASKEGARD
Von Rothbart: *SETH

SATURDAY, MAY 3 AT 8:00PM [Kaplow]
Swan Lake:
Odette/Odile: WEESE
Pr. Siegfried: BOAL
Von Rothbart: SETH

SUNDAY, MAY 4 AT 3:00PM [Quinn]
Swan Lake:
Odette/Odile: WHELAN
Pr. Siegfried: WOETZEL
Von Rothbart: FAYETTE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:55 am 

More NYCB news...

NYCB has announced that there will be a another new Christopher Wheeldon ballet this season, this one to music by Avro Part. The world premiere is on May 31st, with additional performances on June 4th and June 14th.
The May 15th peformance will be a celebration of John Adams as part of the "Lincoln Center Presents Great Performers: "John Adams: An American Master" which takes place March 20-May 17.

More info available on the NYCB website.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:49 pm 

Thanks, ksneds! I have to make a concerted effort to make it to the Spring Season...

&nbsp

This is a question by Reinhard moved from another thread:

Quote:
Reinhard
Member# 2620

posted 20 April 2003 05:16 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just read the casting for the first week of Spring Season and I am missing Robert Tewsley.
Does anybody know if he is still injured? Or does anybody know some other reason for his absence? Thank you for every answer and
HAPPY EASTER TO ALL :)

<small>[ 20 April 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:31 am 

Hi!
I don't know if Robert Tewsley is still injured, but since the first week is primarily "Swan Lake", the casting list is fairly short.

Remember, sometimes even if a dancer is healthy during the season, they may not have been healthy while pre-season rehearsals occured. Thus, a dancer who has been injured may not intially dance as much until they've gotten back into rehearsals. This is especially true for dancer like Tewsley who is new to much of the NYCB repertory.

And with three new ballets, more than a few dancers are probably busy learning new choreography.
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:18 am 

Thank you Kate for your quick answer.
I was afraid Robert Tewsley would still be injured. I think this Balanchine Style is so very different to the works he did here in Stuttgart and later in London. This might force injuries. Anyway, Good Health for Robert

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:38 pm 

Dance moves: NYCB performs ballets to enchant children

MAE BANNER, For The Saratogian April 20, 2003

All ballets are story ballets. To paraphrase George Balanchine, the minute a man approaches a woman onstage, it's already a story.

Quote:
However, some ballets carry more story than others. And, though Balanchine's choreography is most incisive in ''plotless'' dances such as ''Concerto Barocco'' and ''The Four Temperaments,'' he did, in fact, make plenty of narrative ballets, some miniatures (''The Steadfast Tin Soldier'') and some grand, indeed.

''Coppelia'' is probably the grandest. A full three acts, it's peopled by a whole village, from the Mayor to a pack of rowdy boys who torment old Dr. Coppelius the toymaker, causing him to stumble and drop the key to his mysterious workshop.
<a href="http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1169&dept_id=17776&newsid=7769961&PAG=461&rfi=9">click here for more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:08 am 

Hi!
In the May issue of Vanity Fair (pp. 190-1) there is a picture and very brief article about Christopher Wheeldon's upcoming ballet, "Carnival of the Animals". The picture reveals that Carla Korbes and Jenifer Ringer wil be in the ballet, as well as P.J. Verhoest, who was one of the children featured in a NY Times Magazine (?) article about SAB auditions.

Kate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:07 pm 

Some good news!!

The casting for all the divertissments in "Swan Lake" was posted at the State Theatre, and the "Swan Lake" casts are full of principals and soloists. The best news of the week is that Nikolaj Hubbe is scheduled to dance on Friday!!!! Ben Millepied will be dancing Saturday and Sunday. Other principals and soloists appearing are Neal, Ringer, Borree, Martins and Marcovici. Taylor, Higgins and Gold are among the soloists. No Angle or Tewsley that I saw.

Cheers
Kate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:12 pm 

Some brief comments on the season opener....

As a whole, the company looked well rehearsed and recharged.

He's Baack.....Damian Woetzel looked excellent in "Donizetti Variations" with his usual speedy pirouettes and easy virtuosity. Ringer sparkled, even with one minor bobble.

Whelan and Soto were outstanding in "Symphony in Three Movements" as was Abi Stafford.

Darci Kistler replaced Kyra Nichols in "Chaconne". Darci has cut her hair-it's now shoulder level and she looks lovely.

Interesting tiddbits for next week...
Somogyi and Ringer will debut as Odile/Odette, Ulbricht as the jester and laCour as Von Rothbart.

Kate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:37 am 

Great news about Woetzel! And Somogyi and Ringer as Odette/Odile next week? Oh, dear. I'll have to figure out my schedule...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:51 am 

I will be attending tonight's rep.I am so excited!! Great casting posted Ringer, Woetzel in Donizetti....Whelan,Soto,Boal in Agon !! Can't wait !!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next