public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Versions of the Nutcracker?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 1999 8:45 pm 

I recently came to realize there are many different versions of the Nutcracker, with different costumes and music. What are the strangest ones?<p>[This message has been edited by Ballet Fan (edited 11-08-1999).]

Post subject: Re: Versions of the Nutcracker?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 1999 2:12 pm 

AMPs contemporary dance version of 'The Nutcracker' is a delight and was, from memory, the first of their full length works. The story, which takes place in a children's home, is clearer than in many versions and the dance and production values are exemplary. There are rumours from time to time that they might revive it. I hope they do.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 5:33 pm 

In terms of 'strange' I think Mark Morris' Hard Nut hsould be mentioned. It is available on video, and it's set in the 60's I think. The premise of the story is the same, girl gets a nutcracker for christmas and stuff, and the second act is also a dream sequence, but that's about it. I'm sorry I can't give you more details, but it's been years since I've seen it, and I currently don't have a tv to watch my video of it. I'm sure someone here can give much better details.<P>pidge<BR>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 6:12 pm 

At a recent Voice of Dance live chat, dance video producer Cathy Roe described her version of the Nutcracker done to jazz music.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 1999 8:46 pm 

Ahh yes, <P>Azlan, you reminded me, though I've never seen it, of Donald Byrd's Harlem Nutcracker, which is done to Duke Ellington's Nutcracker (correct me if I'm worng, please) whic is suppose to be quite fabulous...<P>pidge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 1999 6:34 pm 

Ça vaw, Pidge? Enchanter de faire votre connaisance.<P>I cannot overrecommend The Hard Nut. The video does not do it justice. It has to be seen to be believed.<P>I hadn't heard of the Ellington Nutcracker. Can you tell us more about it?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 1999 11:03 pm 

David Bintley made a piece 2/3 years ago, called 'The Nutcracker Sweeties' for Birmingham Royal Ballet, which also uses the Duke Ellington score. It has proved one of his biggest hits for the Company and has been enjoyed by nearly everyone who has seen it, including me.<P>The success has encouraged Bintley to make another piece, 'Shakespeare Suite', to Ellington's music. This has only just come out and I haven't seen it, but it has received even higher praise than the 'Sweeties'.<P>There is a video version of 'Sweeties' just released in the UK, paired with as deeply contrasted a work as you could imagine, MacMillan's 'Judas Tree', one of the darkest ballet works ever. However, if this video is the 'Sweeties' made for TV, then I can't recommend it, as it has dull interludes with Bintley going round in a taxi dressed as a WW2 G.I. and the whole thing just doesn't sizzle like the original. <P>Here is a recent review of a mixed bill which includes both works. Please note that given the Telegraph's unbelievably long URLs, there may be a need to Copy and Paste twice.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=000148269364269" TARGET=_blank>http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=000148269364269</A> <BR>&rtmo=farvNNos&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/99/10/12/btshak12.html<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 8:57 am 

Why is Ellington's music so popular in the Nutcracker? Is it because of its Christmas or Holiday spirit?<P>I also recall someone telling me about a Nutcracker done in black leather or something like that...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 8:36 pm 

Michael,<P>Ca va, bien, et toi? Et, enchante pour moi, aussi. Sorry, I can't do all the accents and stuff Image<P>Anyways, (my french is absolutely awful, I'm a transplant, not a real Montrealer) Duke Ellington, I think, wrote a jazz suite, which is based (very loosly) on the Nutcracker, including party scene, snow, the divertisments (spelling?), and the battle scene. If I recall, Byrd had choreographed a Nutcracker to it, and called it the Harlem Nutcracker.<P>I know some people who did it abuot four years or more ago, but I never saw it. I'm still hoping someone on this board has seen it. I don't know if it is still being performed.<P>Azlan, anyway to find out more about a black leather Nuts? That would be interesting... unless it got to raunchy or something.<P>pidge