public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Les Trocks!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:14 am 

Malcolm Kelly - National Post, April 20, 2002:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Queens of dance</B><P>"Toronto has always been one of our major stops," says Eugene McDougle, company director and the only one left of the original Trocks. "In the years touring with Sam Gesser [their Canadian agent], he toured us every year or 18 months. We would start in Nova Scotia and wind up in Vancouver." With almost two dozen stops in Toronto over that time.<P>That first audience, at Seneca, was special for a number of reasons.<P>"At Seneca, we were the 'in thing' of the night," McDougle says. "Half the National Ballet were out to see us that night."<P>Which would become usual. Because dancers get the in-jokes best, they are often the most appreciative of Les Ballet's foibles, he says.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[url=http://www.canada.com/toronto/aroundtown/story.asp?id={02EE7E87-7A00-47B0-81B6-6D2BBBD05A79}]<B>more...</B>[/url]<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:55 pm 

Don't you think this thread maybe belongs under the Ballet forum?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:35 pm 

It certainly could go in 'Ballet' citibob, especially when you look at the quality of the dancing of members such as Robert Carter and Carlos Garcia. However, given the fact that the raison d'etre of the Trocks is fun, I still believe that this is the most appropriate forum for the topic. What do others think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:55 am 

I agree, Stuart.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:57 am 

Susan Walker - Toronto Star, Apr. 24, 2002:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Trocks more than men in frocks <BR>Talented Ballets Trockadero entertains again</B><BR> <BR>Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo is not a company of drag queens impersonating ballerinas. They're men in tutus. There's nothing pretend about their dance skills either. That guy with chest hair sprouting above his bodice may be wearing a wig, but there's no faking involved in his faultless execution of fouettés. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>To read more go to the Entertainment Section of the <A HREF="http://www.thestar.com" TARGET=_blank>Toronto Star</A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:26 am 

I still disagree. The description for "Fun Stuff" is: "Share funny anecdotes or tell us about amusing websites". The description for "Ballet" is: "News and views on classical and contemporary ballet themes, including performances."<P>I think Trock performances count as ballet performances, not funny anecdotes. They're certainly funny. But these articles are not anecdots, they're descriptions of performances. Hence, they fit squarely under the Ballet forum.<P>More generally, this can be a major problem for people involved in comedy. You work so hard to do what you do, then get pushed into the "not so serious" categories in peoples' minds.<P>Much of what the Trocks do is harder than what the rest of us do. They have to dance on pointe. They have to lift heavier partners. They have to be just the right level of funny for the moment. They have to make the audience laugh. They have to go through all the training and technical details as any other ballet dancer.<P>If nothing other than to respect all the hard work these dancers go to, their reviews should be placed in the "Ballet" forum.<P><BR>[This message has been edited by citibob (edited April 24, 2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by citibob (edited April 24, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:05 am 

Trocks could certainly fit well in both forums, and they would be proud of that versatility. They do work very hard, and their humor would not have the same impact if they weren't so good at what they do. I'm sure they take their humor very seriously! Image<P>I think we have more of the dilemma trying to decide which forum (either,or) Trocks would fit in than whether to decide if they are being taken seriously enough. <P>It would be easier for a topic to be in more than one place than for an object. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:24 pm 

Actually, this is beginning to sound like it would be more appropriate in the Issues Forum.<P><BR>Just kidding - Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:19 am 

Robert Johnson enjoyed the Trocks' recent performances in NYC.

From the Newark Star-Ledger:
Quote:
The swans of Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo are a breed apart. Watching these birds preen in Act II of "Le Lac des Cygnes" (Swan Lake) as they did Monday at the Joyce Theater, may lead audiences to think about classical ballet in a new way.
more...

Post subject: The insane Ballet.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:40 am 

I am a Balletomane with experience in dance and I admire these guys on pointe. To perform ballet is buy no means easy especially the female variation!!!! and so the whole training is done professionally and you may forget that they're men.
When these dancers reach our shores in Australia, I am going to get a good seat in my theater. :D I would think that if a ballet of any ballet company would have the fun that these guys make I think that their performances would be better. The Australian Ballet have this feeling when they travel the globe as they enjoy their performances on stage.

<center>Image
These dancers I have to see.
:lol::lol:
:D</center>