public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Les Trocks!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 4:06 am 

Maybe they're girls pretending to be boys pretending to be girls.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2000 9:01 am 

I have a friend in Les Trocks...he said they are the absolute most popular in Japan. Go figure....they have groupies following them around and calling them in their hotel room in the middle of the night!! He said it's a pretty grueling tour schedule and they really dance their butts (or is it tutus?) off! Heehee!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 3:38 am 

so - i think they've been on a english tour recently/now-ish: anyone seen them, this time around?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2000 4:27 am 

grace, I think that they arrive soon and hit London late September for a few nights.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2000 10:47 am 

As stated above, The Trocks are touring the UK in September and will come to London at the end of<BR>the month. So it’s useful to get some up to date info. on this glorious Company. The<BR>journalist has fun, but obviously doesn’t enjoy the broad humour bits as much as I do.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo may look nutty, with<BR> its male ballerinas, over-the-top stage names and mostly witty<BR> choreographic jokes. But on Tuesday night at the Joyce<BR> Theater, the company presented the kind of dream repertory<BR> one seldom sees these days. Although this second of two<BR> Joyce programs was mostly classical ballet fare by the big<BR> guns of Russian and French ballet in the 19th and early 20th<BR> centuries, there was also a dollop of dance by that stalwart<BR> American avant-gardist Merce Cunningham. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BR> It's a really clunky direct URL so go to the page below, select Dance on the LHS bar and then the Trocks review.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.nytoday.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nytoday.com</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2000 12:10 pm 

They were here earlier this year and played to wildly appreciative crowds, from what I understand. Didn't actually see the show, but saw the dancers at a party one night and was shocked at how TINY a few were. <P>One gentleman in particular was just like a little bird with a lot of hair.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2000 1:12 pm 

Eva Yaa Asantewaa reviews the various dance festivals in New York this Summer, including the premier of the Trocks 'Raymonda' (about half way down).<P><BR> <A HREF="http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0035/asantewaa.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0035/asantewaa.shtml</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 9:05 pm 

quick story about the Trocks.<BR>(sorry, I am never quick or short...only in height)<BR>Many years ago....when my parents were still alive...(15) I told my Dad about the Trocks.<BR>He bought tickets for my mother and he to go.<BR>They were performing in the bay area, some where....Oakland, Berkeley or wherever.<BR>Anyway, he did not tell my mother about them.<BR>She spend the first half of the program not saying anything.<BR>At intermission, she said to my Dad, "this is the worst company we have ever gone to see...all the ballerinas look like MEN!"<BR>My father just laughed and laughed at her.<BR>She, being my mom, just gave him a look like what the h..ell is your problem??<BR>Then when the show began again,,,,she noticed that the pretty little ballerinas had hair on their chests and didn't shave their pits.<BR>It FINALLY dawned on her what my father took her too.........<BR>Then she began to crack up.....<BR>My father was the most awful tease in the world...(I know I grew up with him!!)..<BR>I can't begin to imagine the resulting amount of teasing my Mother had to endure from that point foward about her going to see an all male company and thinking they were all females.<BR>Anyway,.....<BR>Just a laugh.....<BR>so don't feel too bad.........<BR>It can happen to the best of us.<BR>(my parents had been devotees of ballet for 30 + years when this happened.)<P><P>------------------<BR>bek<BR>CCA CREATIONS<BR>Website:<BR>http://members.tripod.com/~Casalino<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 9:43 pm 

That's a really sweet story bek. I wonder how many people have had a similar experience? My understanding is that the dancing in the Trocks is a lot better now. Perhaps today the penny would take even longer to drop for your Mum. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 01, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 4:41 pm 

yes: great story. your mother must have taken these things in good spirit! i get that impression, too, stuart - even from their website photographs - that today's dance standard is much higher than when i saw them about 15 years ago. i'd love to see them again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 8:29 pm 

Oh, yes, the dancing *is* better. When I saw them recently, there was one dancer (Bobby) whom I thought better than many female dancers I've seen at pirouettes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2000 5:23 pm 

susan yung writes for the danceinsider:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It's also common knowledge that in recent<BR> years the company, under ballet mistress Pamela Pribisco, has<BR> become pretty good by any standard of judging ballet, and that this<BR> combination has attracted full houses of new faces, as was the<BR> case this weekend at the Joyce. <P> The gags are hysterical for the first half hour, then become<BR> expected, then finally missed when absent. They poke fun at<BR> ballet's prissiness, its staidness, its unwavering faithfulness to<BR> tradition. They get miles out of silly theater stereotypes - - -<P>Manaure's Odette ("Swan Lake") seamlessly combines a lovely,<BR> flirtatious side with a street-wise gang leader. - - -<P>The Trocks have created a new sort of power ballet similar to<BR> gymnastics' floor exercise: a bizarre combination of the fakery of<BR> gentle grace with frighteningly explosive runs of handsprings and<BR> flips. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Image<BR> <A HREF="http://www.danceinsider.com/f821_1.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.danceinsider.com/f821_1.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 1:26 am 

'Men in Tights (and Toe Shoes!): Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo Performs at the Detroit Opera House, April 11 to Benefit MAPP (AIDS charity) and SPIN (performing arts and the gay comnity).'<P> <A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010213/mi_mapp_sp.html" TARGET=_blank>http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010213/mi_mapp_sp.html</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 1:47 pm 

Perhaps too serious an interjection in this particular conversation BUT, what would be the thoughts about whether or not the Trock is good for ballet or not?<P> This conversation has been a recurring one for as long as I can remember them:<P> Is it attracting new audiences that become lovers of dance, and are committed to attending performances by "real" companies in the future? OR<P> Does it attract an audience that comes to laugh at, and be justified in, their pre-existing stereotypes of what dance (and dancers) truly are? And who then walk away knowing they will never go to a conventional performance because they know the "truth" about dance.<P> Having lived and worked in the south for many years, I know that we had to overcome some very strong stereotypes to build audiences. From a dancers perspective, I feel that I understand the inside jokes; but wonder if the majority of audiences are laughing with or at the art form.<P> Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:52 pm 

Wordfox, I lived in the South myself at one time. I understand what you are saying. Whereabouts were you?<P>My guess is the Trocks are probably aware that they attract audiences for many, if not all the reasons you mentioned. Due to the nature of their company, it's probably hard to try and attract their audience under one intent. The broadness of being dancing broads, that aren't really that, will get a broad audience. (I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't help it!)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next