Post subject: New York City Ballet - Kennedy Center 2004
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:08 am 

I'll start a new thread.

Happy Birthday, Balanchine
By Lisa Traiger
Special to The Washington Post
Friday, February 27, 2004; Page WE28
Quote:
IT HAS been 17 years since the New York City Ballet, the esteemed company that George Balanchine gave to New York, America and the world, has performed in Washington. On Wednesday, the company returns to the Kennedy Center Opera House for the first time since 1987, performing a selection of the ballet master's greatest works.
more

<small>[ 09 March 2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: NYBalletMod ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New York City Ballet - Kennedy Center 2004
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:29 pm 

For Peter Martins, Past Is No Yoke
Carrying Balanchine's Torch Proves Vexing for the NYCB Director

By Sarah Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, February 29, 2004; Page N01

Quote:
In the costume shop of the New York City Ballet hang some of the only tangible remnants of past dance performances: the duchess silk satin gowns of George Balanchine's romantic "Liebeslieder Waltzer," the stiff, pert, somewhat dingy red-and-white tutu of his "Tarantella" duet.

For the sake of these and other well-worn confections, the wardrobe staff wages a constant war against time. Over the years, as colors drain away from the original creations, remaking them in the original palette is one of the shop's chief projects.

What is happening to the costumes is a metaphor for what some say is happening to the Balanchine ballets. Time is kind to nothing in the world of ballet, least of all to the dancing. Since Balanchine's death in 1983, the company he founded has been run by Peter Martins, the former star who has been responsible for teaching a new generation of dancers the works of one of the 20th century's greatest innovators.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:03 pm 

I was very impressed by the Washington Post article. Actually, I've been consistently impressed by the Post's recent coverage of dance companies, with very well balanced and in-depth profile pieces on companies such as Ailey, the Kirov, and now New York City Ballet. They're not the standard-issue puff pieces promoting the company's upcoming run, but rather a fuller picture - Kaufman was clearly not affraid to press Martins for some answers to tough questions, and got some interesting responses to criticism lashed out at the company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:10 am 

KenCen welcomes NYCB
By Jean Battey Lewis for THE WASHINGTON TIME

When George Balanchine came to this country in 1933 at the invitation of Lincoln Kirstein to form a ballet company, it took him 15 years to reach that goal. During those intervening 15 years, the country survived the Great Depression and World War II. Mr. Balanchine, on the other hand, survived by mounting brief-lived companies and creating dances for Broadway and Hollywood, plus a brief fling at making ballets for the Metropolitan Opera.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:26 am 

N.Y. City Ballet Honors Its Father
By Sarah Kaufman
Friday, March 5, 2004; Page C01
Quote:
What a bonus it is that, in this centennial year of George Balanchine's birth, we have witnessed not only fine performances drawn from the choreographer's unrivaled body of works but also, finally, his other great artistic achievement: the New York City Ballet.
The company, which last raised the curtain at the Kennedy Center Opera House during the Reagan administration, opened a five-day run there on Wednesday with a well-conceived program of early Balanchine works.
more

A Great Ballet Company's Puzzling Mix
By Sarah Kaufman
Saturday, March 6, 2004; Page C01
Quote:
The New York City Ballet presented another puzzle on Thursday, the second night of its Washington stand, with a program at the Kennedy Center Opera House that was a maddening mix of the glorious and the ordinary.
more

City Ballet's Dazzling 'Jewels'
By Sarah Kaufman
Monday, March 8, 2004; Page C01
Quote:
The New York City Ballet followed its first two programs of early George Balanchine masterpieces with an evening of masterly showmanship Friday, capping its cycle of Balanchine works at the Kennedy Center Opera House. Throughout the three-part "Jewels," choreographed in 1967, Balanchine brings together a culmination of the powers that had made "Apollo," "Serenade" and "Symphony in C" so groundbreaking: the finite movement vocabulary that evokes the infinite, the single dancer building and expanding on the statements of the ensemble, the stunning simplicity, the wash of decorative beauty.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:24 pm 

As always I have to caveat my comments by pointing out that I have only seen small groups of NYCB dancers in London.

Sarah Kaufman's interview with Martins is a strong one and she was right to pursue the question of Martins' refusal to bring in dancers to coach the roles. There is no question that dancers at the Royal Ballet have benefitted greatly from coaching from artists closely associated with the works to be performed. The reason that Martins gives - I'm a busy man and I can't do it, so the same goes for the others - is clearly ludicrous, given the way that the Balanchine Trust representatives criss-cross the world coaching the repertoire.

While I support his encouragement of new choreography, for which he is also criticised, on the coaching issue his attitude is difficult to understand. I'm minded of a quip from a UK theatre director about Olivier, "..the ego has landed."

<small>[ 08 March 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:54 pm 

New York City Ballet overcomes lapses
By Jean Battey Lewis for The Washington Times

In its five brief days here, the New York City Ballet offered a lavish array of great ballets by George Balanchine with dancing that veered sharply from the inspired to the humdrum. This unevenness in the company directed by Peter Martins was notable in the second of three programs it brought to the Kennedy Center Opera House.

click for more

NYCB does justice to Balanchine's best
By Jean Battey Lewis for The Washington Times

After a 17-year absence, the New York City Bal-let made a triumphant return to Washington Wednesday with a sterling program of masterworks by founder-director George Balanchine.

Three ballets by the great choreographer at the top of his form — the romantic sweep of "Serenade," the nobility and power of "Apollo" and the crystalline designs of "Symphony in C" — set to magnificent scores by Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky and Bizet — made for an unusually splendid evening.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:42 am 

Greetings!
I will change the topic name in the near future, but please limit comments and posts on this thread to issues and articles relating to the Washington, DC performances.
Posts relating to the California performances in the fall should go in the California tour topic, since there will be a big gap between these performances.

Cheers!
Kate

<small>[ 09 March 2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: ksneds ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:52 am 

I attended the open rehearsal last Thursday (3/4) and then that evening's performance. Since then I have been trying to get my thoughts together to write a review of the performance. But, I must admit, I was underwhelmed. Sarah Kaufman has a good review of the performance, but personally I didn't find any of it glorious.
Again, for me the music is so important, and I much prefer Bach to Tchaikovsky, so I liked the 'Concerto Barocco'. The two pieces, 'Barocco' and the Tchaikovsky piece, are quite similar in style. Lots of geometric patterns and both pieces were very technically demanding, I thought the corp did a good job, but everything (in both pieces) seemed to be a bit less crisp and clean than it should have been
In the rehearsal I saw Peter Boal as the Prodigal Son, and he was amazing. Perhaps that is why in the evening's performance I found Damian Woetzel to be a bit frantic is his dancing. Maria Kowroski was extremely good as the Siren, I thought her detached, seductive manner was very effective.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:56 pm 

Corrival, do you know if NYCB brought their own orchestra? I forget whether that's still part of their contract?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:18 pm 

Hi!
It was the Kennedy Center Orchestra this year...the NYCB Orchestra will play for the company in 2005. I've seen some comments that would indicate that perhaps there were some difficulties with the orchestra - i.e. incorrect tempos.

Kate