public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christopher Wheeldon, Choreographer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:47 pm 

Christopher Wheeldon.<P>I would be very interested in opinions about Christopher Wheeldon as a choreographer.<BR>A discussion of the stylistic definitions of particular works and the relationship of music to the dance would be of special interest.<BR>Any reviews of productions?<BR>Where could a chronology of his work be found?<BR>

Post subject: Re: Christopher Wheeldon, Choreographer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:22 pm 

I just did a 'search' at this board, thinking that I would post in a thread or two for you. However, about 30 threads came up.<P>So, I suggest you use the 'search' engine at the top of the forum page on the right hand side. Click on the word 'search' and be sure you set it for "all open forums and archives" and type in "Wheeldon"....wait a moment or ttwo and then you will see the threads come up. Then you can click away on each one and read to your heart's content.<P>You might also want to set your 'preferences' to 'show all topics'.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:45 pm 

I like his stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:25 pm 

Sheepishly thank you. I should have done a search before posting. Have downloaded 15 pages of reviews that should answear the primary questions.<p>[This message has been edited by d'ici_de la (edited March 27, 2002).]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:34 pm 

Valerie Lawson writes about Christopher Wheeldon in The Sydney Morning Herald. The Royal Ballet will perform his <I>Tryst</I> in Australia:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>There's an eagerness, an energy about him. He looks like Billy Elliot, but older, in his 20s. When he grins, he looks even younger, a little boy, ready to dive in the deep end. "That's who I am really, I haven't grown up," says Christopher Wheeldon, and then corrects himself, "I think I'm growing up fairly rapidly now. I'm a late developer."<P>At 29, Wheeldon carries a heavy weight of expectation. The world is eager to anoint him the next great choreographer of our time, a successor, at last, to George Balanchine, Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan. The New York Times sees Wheeldon as "a star in the choreographic firmament".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/02/1022982650058.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A><BR>

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:23 am 

Quote:
Layers Within Layers

By DEBORAH JOWITT
The Village Voice
May 14, 2004

The prankish title of Christopher Wheeldon's new Shambards is, like the ballet itself, enigmatic—a pentimento through which we glimpse other images and ideas.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:51 am 

The New York Times Magazine did a nice lengthy profile recently, if anyone is interested.