CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yulia Stepanova and other Mariinsky dancers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:58 pm 

Congratulations on Yulia Stepanova making principal at the Bolshoi. It looks like moving from the Mariinsky to the Bolshoi was a good choice for her. She seemed to be stuck as a coryphee at the Mariinsky, but rose quickly at the Bolshoi. I hear Lyudmila Semenyaka loved her dancing as did Vaziev, Andris Liepa, Zakharova, and many other ballet professionals. She is being hailed as a new Asylmuratova.

Other dancers from the Mariinsky are moving as well.....Shklyarov and Shirinkina have moved to the Munich State Ballet and are principals there now although they are still listed at the Mariinsky. Alexey Popov is a First Soloist in Munich now. Konstantin Ivkin is listed under "Damen und Herren" (Ladies and Gentlemen) which looks like the Munich State Ballet's version of the corps. Maybe it is their version of coryphee. Not sure. It seems sad if Ivkin went from the corps at the Mariinsky to the corps at Munich. But the rankings are somewhat different in Munich, so I am guessing....maybe it is a coryphee ranking and they simply do not bother to list their corps de ballet. No idea. I think Ivkin deserves better if his ranking is considered corps de ballet.

The reason I post this is that this should be a wake up call for the Mariinsky's administration. When this many talented people leave in a short span of time (the ones mentioned in the second paragraph are leaving and joining Munich this season; Yulia Stepanova left earlier) there is something wrong.

I hear Oxsana Skorik will not be going to Munich after all (I think it was reported that she would be). She apparently had second thoughts.

Any company, business, etc. that loses people (especially talented employees/dancers) needs to sit up and take notice and realize new ideas need to be implemented, in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Yulia Stepanova and other Mariinsky dancers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:08 pm 

Here is an interview with Yulia Stepanova in french. My intermediate high school french enabled me to read it somewhat, but I finally used Google Translate to make sure what I thought I was reading was correct:

http://www.dansesaveclaplume.com/pas-de ... u-bolchoi/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:25 pm 

I suspect the Mariinsky management views the company as an institution that transcends any dancer or dancers and therefore any departures. That may or may not be unwise...and is certainly hard on fans who may love the departing dancers, but has at least a little truth to it as long as there is an outstanding school to draw on...

From the outside, it was hard to understand why Skorik would leave. For myself I am glad she stayed.

I'm also very eager to see Stepanova in a major role at the Bolshoi--see her live that is--and very happy for her success. I guess it's a little hard for me to picture the Bolshoi dancers entirely thrilled by Vaziev (a one time Kirov-Mariinsky dancer and director) promoting a Mariinsky import at warp speed to principal. Of course the Bolshoi is well-known for peace and good-will among all its artists :wink: ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:04 am 

I say it all ove the internet, so I'll say it again here. For me, Oxana Skorik, after Ulyana Lopatkina, is perhaps the most beautifully graceful dancer that I've ever seen in person. I watch video after video of it seems like everyone and I always come back to her. I do hope that she's staying. In any case I wish her much success and happiness.

I also wish Yulia Stepanova the same. I'm very happy for her recognition and success at the Bolshoi.

Makhar Vaziev (formerly Mariinsky and La Scala) seems to be doing a lot of things very right as Bolshoi Artistic Director. Whoever brought Olga Smirnova to the Bolshoi made a brilliant choice, probably Sergei Filin (former Artistic Director), who was probably responsible for launching Yulia Stepanova as well. As I wrote at the time during my first visit to Moscow in April, I never saw the Bolshoi looking better, from top to bottom. I think that it was probably a little early for Makhar Vaziev to have been the primary reason but he certainly seems to be continuing in that direction.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:22 am 

Aliona Kovaliova and Aliona Ledakh, both Vaganova graduates this year, were hired by the Bolshoi instead of Mariinsky. I wonder if this will continue to happen.....top graduates going to the Bolshoi. Mariinsky fans will soon have to transfer their allegiance to the Bolshoi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:02 pm 

In further regard to folks moving around, apparently Vladimir Shklyarov will be performing at the Mariinsky for the two opening nights, at least, of the new season, according to his instagram site.

“Friends, in St. Petersburg, [I] will open the New season with the /react-text @mariinsky react-text: 47 theatre in ballets of Mikhail Fokine. September 30th, " Schéhérazade " and October 1st will be released in miniature "Le Spectre de la rose" .
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKje3IKgnim/

(Thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie for finding this.)
http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/v ... cae12a3101

His wife, Maria Shirinkina, is one of the Mariinsky’s loveliest dancers and he is quite something.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:30 pm 

PenneallaNorma wrote:
Aliona Kovaliova and Aliona Ledakh, both Vaganova graduates this year, were hired by the Bolshoi instead of Mariinsky. I wonder if this will continue to happen.....top graduates going to the Bolshoi. Mariinsky fans will soon have to transfer their allegiance to the Bolshoi.

Vaziev has also given an interview in which he minimized (up to a point) what he called the "myth" of crucial differences between the two companies ...

I'm not sure. I think both companies are bound to morph over time--have already done so--but historically there have been important aesthetic differences and should the Bolshoi ever start dancing like the Mariinsky-on-Moskva, something really extraordinary would have been lost to ballet tradition. (Having a Bolshoi star at the head of the Vaganova school complicates the picture still further.) Fortunately that is an unlikely outcome. At least, as an outsider, I think so...This all may look very different from the inside.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:51 am 

Drew, I have to feel that the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi will always have very distinct identities. The Mariinsky is of the air and the Bolshoi represents drama. For artistic beauty, I value both companies equally.

There is a definite Mariinsky presence at the Bolshoi, which adds Mariinsky airiness, but there are also 'homegrown' Bolshoi artists such as Anna Nikulina (and formerly Svetlana Lunkina) whose airy gracefulness is as fine as I've ever seen.

On the other hand, the Bolshoi has a sense of theatre that is so much its own. Even Vaganova trained dancers such as the wonderful Olga Smirnova have adapted very well to this and have grown and extended artistically because of it.

A quick further mention of the presence of certain Mariinsky dancers. Oxana Skorik, very happily for me, is listed for several Mariinsky performances this month.