CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ratmansky's "Cinderella" at Zellerbach, Oct. 1-4, 2015
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:13 am 

Bay Area audiences will witness Ratmansky's Cinderella, I believe for the first time, starting tonight when the Mariinsky begins its short four-day run at Zellerbach Hall.

The highly talented Nadezhda Batoeva will dance on October 2 and 4th. My interview with her, which covers her unique life story to date, in case of interest, is in the January 2015 issue of Dance Europe and can be found here (single issues can be ordered separately online for just 4 Euros).

http://www.danceeurope.net/.../magazine.../de_en_191.pdf

Also cast is the lovely Kristina Shapran, the youngest of the four cast in the role. If I were to recommend who to see, it would be these two.

Post subject: Re: Ratmansky's "Cinderella" at Zellerbach, Oct. 1-4, 2015
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:31 pm 

Mary Ellen Hunt previews Alexei Ratmansky's Cinderella, October 1-4, 2015 at Zellerbach Hall at the University of California, Berkeley for the San Francisco Chronicle.

SF Chronicle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:43 am 

Reviews of Cinderella from Thursday, October 1, 2015.

Lou Fancher for the San Francisco Weekly.

SF Weekly

Allan Ulrich for the San Francisco Chronicle.

SF Chronicle

Ann Murphy for the Daily Democrat.

Daily Democrat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:35 am 

Cindy Warner reviews Cinderella for the Examiner.

Examiner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:00 pm 

Janice Berman reviews Cinderella for San Francisco Classical Voice.

SF Classical Voice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:36 pm 

Paul Parish reviews Cinderella for the Bay Area Reporter.

Bay Area Reporter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:26 am 

I finally got a chance to read through all the reviews of Cinderella. It is not my favorite Mariinsky ballet or favorite Ratmansky, and I think the reviews sort of indicate that this ballet is nobody's "favorite" but the general feel is, "It's better than nothing if you want to see the Mariinsky Ballet and that is all they are doing on tour...."

One thing I want to point out is that I believe Janice Berman in her SF Classical Voice review mixes up Frolova and Ivannikova. I mean, I wasn't there, but I am pretty sure Frolova always dances the skinny stepsister and Ivannikova dances the chubby one. It would be very strange for them to suddenly switch roles for the California tour, in my opinion.

I was a bit surprised to read that Batoeva was a disappointment in the Bay Area Reporter review. From what I have seen of this dancer she is truly worth seeing, and at this moment in time could dance rings around Vishneva technically. Again, I was not there, and maybe she gave a lackluster performance this time (jetlag?), but I have seen her in Nutcracker and Don Quixote, and I have been very impressed with how great she was both technically and how alive to the dramatic demands she was. To me she is a star in the making who is worthy of the roles she has undertaken which is not always the case at the Mariinsky. I am hoping she gets a try at Odette/Odile soon, because she is beautiful, technically wonderful and artistic. She has that true Vaganova style and look to me. The current Odette/Odiles at the Mariinsky are not getting any younger, and they need to start trying out the younger generation.

This summer I had a Mariinsky dancer tell me that Berkeley's stage is too small and not comfortable either (floor), so it is no surprise that the dancers had trouble navigating the sets which were probably scrunched together and so the columns and stairs of the Cinderella set came sooner than they are normally used to.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:46 am 

Penneallanorma, I too adore Batoeva. In my interview with her she was very bright and bubbly -- in person she matches her usual on-stage personae. I have always been impressed with her dancing and never seen a "bad" night from her here. She's electric in Rubies, but she can carry out classical princess roles (Nutcracker) with charm and poise. She has that ease of movement and ease of dramatism that makes any role look effortless and second nature on her. She also has a lovely energy that is neither overly vamped up nor too demure. In short I have nothing but good things to say about her! Given the administration's recognition of her, and the fact she was given a principal role as only a second soloist while on this tour, I think that speaks to the promise that the management also sees in her. I think a great career awaits her ))

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:51 pm 

Madeline Zimring reviews Cinderella at the University of California, Berkeley for the Daily Californian.

Daily Californian