CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mariinsky International Ballet Festival: 12 - 22 March, 2015
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 am 

The initial dates for the 2015 Ballet Festival Mariinsky have been set for March 12-22 (which is earlier than some years). This thread is for all festival-related news.

Post subject: Re: Mariinsky International Ballet Festival: 12 - 22 March, 2015
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:58 pm 

So, as noted in the main 2015 season thread, the planned productions for the season include Wheeldon's "Alice in Wonderland", Grigorovich's "Stone Flower", the famous and long-lost "Bronze Horseman", as well as a return of Scotch Symphony. Apparently "Alice" is on hold due to time or other constraints, so I now don't have hopes that it will be performed during the festival, but am still hoping for Flower and Horseman. Scotch Symphony reappeared on Dec. 3rd but I don't see it listed in Jan-February-March yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:19 am 

No tears shed for 'Alice'; odd choice for this company. I, too, am thrilled about 'Bronze Horseman's' return. I'm wondering if it 'a being rehearsed for the festival in March?

Catherine, do you know if this will be the last festival before the closure of the old Mariinsky for renovations? We know how long such renovations can take, judging by the many years that the old Bolshoi was closed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:16 pm 

With only about a month until the Festival and the company now returning from a major tour we should be hearing soon about the program. As I’ve written before, I feel that the Festivals have been about the extremely high level of performance. Beyond the dominance of great performances of the Mariinsky classics, the inclusion of works by George Balanchine, very successful, and the selective choosing of other more contemporary ones, often very successful, has given the Festival an added dimension.

My focus for the moment is on the performers. I’d like to start by offering a somewhat ‘off-center’ wish list of guest artists.

One choice would be Alina Cojocaru. Again recalling that she was the guest lead in four major classics in four consecutive years and then returned after a serious injury to dance one the greatest performances I’ve ever seen, Giselle, I’d really enjoy seeing another Festival ‘rebirth’ of this outstanding artist.

Veronika Part is always on my list. She did appear very briefly at last year’s final Gala. I’d love to see her perform a Swan Lake for the ages.

This last choice I guess I’ll have to confine to a hopeful day in the future and it’s probably one of the most “What?!” choices that I could come up with. It’s Simone Messmer, formerly ABT and briefly San Francisco Ballet. She’s floating somewhere in the ballet outskirts at the moment, but I hope that somehow she’ll get a chance to shine as brightly and brilliantly as I think she is capable of and that will get her the recognition to someday appear on a Mariinsky Festival stage.

Of the ‘new generation’ Mariinsky dancers, I think that Oxana Skorik may well establish the next Mariinsky Gold Standard and I hope that she is featured prominently.

Alina Somova is always on the verge all-time greatness breakthroughs. I feel she accomplished one last year with her Gala performance of Foklne’s ‘Swan’.

Yekaterina Kondaurova is consistently fine and, like Alina Somova, I think could also produce all-time great surprises. She did so two Festivals ago with her performance of all the leads in “Jewels” (George Balanchine) that featured her outstanding adaptability and remarkably successful characterizations.

There are so many other choices, but these are ones that excite my world of dreams for the moment.

Anyone else like to give it a try?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:59 am 

Some initial programing and casting here.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... all-ballet

Some quick highlights.

Four nights featuring Opéra de Paris stars. I look forward to seeing Aurélie Dupont, whom I’ve only seen once.

Yekaterina Kondaurova will dance Swan Lake and be Myrtha (Giselle) the night before. This will be the first time that someone has danced Swan Lake twice at the Festivals that I can recall. Among the only other ballerinas who might have danced a classic twice are Alina Cojocaru, who, I believe, did two Giselles and this may be the second Sleeping Beauty for Alina Somova.

Viktoria Tereshkina will have her own evening.

Alina Somova -- Sleeping Beauty

Two Anton Pimonov ballet premiers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:10 pm 

Thanks for posting that Buddy, you beat me to it :wink:

Bambi by Anton Pimonov, conducted by Gergiev opening night - that will be a milestone! Congratulations to Anton!

Alas what we were promised has not come to pass: No Stone Flower, no Bronze Horseman and no Wheeldon (the latter we already knew).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:22 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Thanks for posting that Buddy, you beat me to it :wink:

So - Bambi? Whose choreography is that? It is not listed.

Alas what we were promised has not come to pass: No Stone Flower, no Bronze Horseman and no Wheeldon (the latter we already knew).

Birth of Bambi is choreographed by Anton Pimonov, second soloist. I agree it is very disappointing that Stone Flower and Bronze Horseman are not to be performed. I was going to go to the Mariinsky Festival, but now I will not. This modern work seems a strange choice for the opening of the festival, and whereas I know that the festival always brings in many guest artists from abroad, this year there seem to be so many Paris Opera dancers and little opportunity to see Mariinsky ballerinas. Kondaurova dances twice (and on consecutive nights) and Tereshkina gets her own evening. Neither of these two are my favourites. Alina Somova dances Aurora and I love her Aurora, but really though, as far as I can see, this year's Mariinsky Festival does not warrant my airfare.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:44 am 

Extremely disappointing Festival fare. Opening nights used to be reserved for major full-evening classics or modern takes on classics, e.g., Bayadere-1900, Ondine, Little Humpbacked Horse, Flora's Awakening.

I'll pass on the Festival. Hopefully, Bronze Horseman will happen in May, so that I might be able to combine a trip to Petersburg with a trip to Yekaterinburg for the premiere of Sergei Vikharev's reconstruction of the 3-act Petipa version of La Fille Mal Gardee (May 15-17).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm 

Tiara wrote:
Alina Somova dances Aurora and I love her Aurora....

Tiara, two lovely video clips have been posted (February 7) of her most recent Aurora (Sleeping Beauty). If you don't get a chance to see her do this at the Festival you may enjoy these. I won't post them here as it's not in the forum's guidelines, which I can understand, but if you U-tube in Russian you might have some luck, or else, if you like, personal message me.

(There has been a very good selection of Mariinsky video clips posted on the internet with very good video quality but they are labelled in Russian and might be harder to find. The issue of copyrights, etc. is certainly a valid one and I do support Catherine's request that they not be posted here which is apparently the Mariinsky's preference. I personally feel that a video will seldom replace an actual performance and would not discourage audience attendance, in fact it might stimulate more interest in seeing real performances, but this is just my opinion. Also the Mariinsky releases very few ballet videos so this shouldn't effect that sort of income very much. Posted video clips do offer a lot when kept in perspective and I continue to greatly enjoy watching them and commenting on them, while not linking to them here. I hope that some day this issue will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:02 pm 

This is a nice video clip of rehearsals for Bambi with comments by its choreographer, Anton Pimonov. It seems to be an official Mariinsky posting, so it should be within this forum's guidelines for posting here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zKT2na-FA
(thanks, once again, to Sophia at Dansomanie for finding this)

I wish it fine success as it appears to be a sincere and sympathetic effort. As much as I love the world of children it seems at ballet performances that what I find enchanting is often different from what the children in the audience enjoy. It’s a challenge for adults to create literature, theater and 'fine art' that really touches the essential beauty of a child’s world.

As it’s a Mariinsky production it will certainly be rich in adult cultural appeal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:35 pm 

Ludmila Pagliero (Paris Opera Ballet), who is also scheduled to dance in Paris the same day, is no longer listed for La Bayadère. It would really be nice to see Myriam Ould-Braham (Paris Opera Ballet). She dances Kitri (Don Quixote).

This might be a chance for Oxana Skorik, who has not yet danced La Bayadère at a Festival. Don Quixote is another possibility. La Bayadère is also perfect for Ulyana Lopatkina, but is something that she's already done at the Festival.

A very nice video clip was released a few days ago of Yekaterina Kondaurova dancing La Bayadère. It’s a reminder of what a beautiful classicist she is as well as how versatile and theatrically accomplished she is. Her statuesque elegance shines magnificently in the classical works, such as Swan Lake, which she will be the first to perform for a second time at a Festival.

There are vacancies for the lead, Kitri, and the Queen of the Dryads in Don Quixote. Anastasia Kolegova dances both. She is a lovable burst of sunshine as well as an extremely fine dancer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:16 am 

Novikova replaces Somova as Aurora in SB. (Somova will dance Shirine in Act II of Legend of Love during Terioshkona's evening.)

Nice surprise: In DonQ, Batoeva will dance Kitri; Skorik listed as Dryad Queen at same performance

Other nice surprise: MT will live-webcast the Terioshkona and Young Choreo evenings (Mar 19 & 21).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:27 pm 

Am hoping that my interview with Batoeva in the January 2015 issue of Dance Europe maybe helped things a bit? She's really so extremely talented and the nicest girl. She will do well in her husband's new ballet, and she will be a natural Kitri! I'm so glad she's getting top billing!

Also, speaking of naturals, I'm *thrilled* Olesya is getting her due as Aurora during festival! This is long overdue!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:19 am 

Indeed, Catherine. It's as if light bulbs came 'on' at the Mariinsky casting office!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 am 

Novikova's Aurora debut was at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles on 10/09/2005 (Osmolkina's debut on the 7th). Her Mariinsky stage debut was on 02/23/2006. The only other Mariinsky video clips I saw was on 10/24/2008, and I don't think I missed much. It's a beautiful surprise!