public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mariinsky Ballet 2013-2014 Tours
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:39 am 

Ah - well of course she'd sell out. Did the 17th sell out as well? (I guess you will find out tomorrow! ) :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:17 am 

Kuznetsov is terrific in any role, but Smekalov will not disappoint, in my opinion. But both men should get bigger and better roles!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:34 pm 

Agreed, they are both very strong as Hans in Giselle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:11 am 

Well then, here's my report! There were a few empty seats at the back and side of the house, but it was almost sold out. I have to say the 'bad' seats were quite expensive (only 20€ less than the best seats; I wouldn't pay €70 to sit in the back and on the sides)

In the booklet Alina Somova was announced as our Giselle for the night, but a paper was inserted to tell us Maria Shirinkina would dance in stead. I heard something about Somova being mildly injured, that might be the reason she didn't dance.
But Shirinkina was truly lovely, and she forms a beautiful couple with her husband Shklyarov on stage. Their partnering was fluent, and they both portrayed their roles very well. Her mad scene wasn't as heartbreaking as Lezhnina's (which I saw last year), but she's young, and she did a very good job! Shklyarov was very good, his jumps have a very nice quality to them, and his double tours were perfect every time.

Nadezhda Gonchar and Konstantin Ivkin danced the peasant pas. Partnering looked awkward at times and one time I was really afraid she'd fall, but they stayed calm and finished the pas de deux nicely.
And Smekalov as Hans was great!

In the second act, we got to see Xenia Ostreikovskaya (always lovely!) and Alisa Sodoleva as the two wilis, and Daria Vasnetsova was absolutely terrific as Myrtha! Her jumps were impressive, and her upper body always moves so beautifully.. She's one of the best examples of true Mariinsky port de bras in the company at this moment for me. I had expected one of the two Myrthas that danced in September/October in Petersburg (Gumerova and Stepanova), but I couldn't be happier! For those who want to know, the other night Petushkova was Myrtha.

And as always, the corps de ballet was amazingly good.

I had a wonderful night, I hope they will return soon to the Netherlands or Belgium, but I don't think that will happen. I actually really want to visit the Mariinsky theatre before its renovation, so maybe it won't be so long before I see them again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 am 

Lidewij, thanks so much for the report! I really enjoyed reading your impressions.

Yes Vasnetsova is beautiful and very strong. Petushkova is another strong jumper, she can take on any role -- Gabriela Komleva is her coach.

Am jealous you saw Lezhnina recently, we do not obviously see her here in Petersburg or in the US anymore. But i have fond memories of her in the 90s with Kirov Tours, she is a crowning glory of the Kirov!

You should definitely make a trip to St Petersburg. The festival next year in the spring is one option (it starts April 3 and there is ballet every night for 10 days). White nights is another option but it gets packed with tourists in May. If you can brave colder weather April is an option.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:56 am 

Lidewij wrote:
Shirinkina was truly lovely

….and Daria Vasnetsova was absolutely terrific as Myrtha! Her jumps were impressive, and her upper body always moves so beautifully.. She's one of the best examples of true Mariinsky port de bras in the company at this moment for me.

And as always, the corps de ballet was amazingly good.

I had a wonderful night, I hope they will return soon to the Netherlands or Belgium….

Lidewij, I'm glad that you enjoyed Maria Shirinkina. I think that she's an absolutely lovely dancer, who maybe gets overshadowed by some of the other Mariinsky stars. She is the one for me, not being large in size and perhaps more quiet in style, that has still managed to 'slip through the cracks and perhaps steal the show.' It seems that the Mariinsky is quite aware of this as they have consistently graduated her into prominence since the very beginning of her career.

I also share your earlier stated enthusiasm for Alina Somova. I have a personal bias. I like what I call 'ethereal' dancers (refined, lyrical and dreamlike). If they can add considerable interest and dimension within this aura then I like them all the more. Alina Somova has always displayed this ability. Another artist that I like very much for similar reasons is Oxana Skorik.

And I share your appreciation of Daria Vasnetsova. I've also seen her as Myrtha and also thought that she was "absolutely terrific."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:10 am 

I have to say it took some time for me to warm up to Alina Somova. But now I see she has a certain charm, although she still looks awkward at times.

I do miss the times gone by when there were so many dancers that I have NEVER caught showing a distorted/ugly line. Lezhnina and Asylmuratova come to mind, as well as Irina Chistyakova and Tatiana Terekhova..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:35 am 

Quote:
do miss the times gone by when there were so many dancers that I have NEVER caught showing a distorted/ugly line. Lezhnina and Asylmuratova come to mind, as well as Irina Chistyakova and Tatiana Terekhova..

sigh, yes, I happen to miss them too...