public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gergiev wants Kolpakova to replace Altynai at Vaganova Acad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:02 pm 

http://m.interfax.ru/news/?id=337190

Although it is far from clear to me by what legal means or power Maestro Valery Gergiev is in a position to replace the Artistic Director of the Vaganova Academy, Altynai Asylmuratova, with another individual on no grounds whatsoever, today's news had a flurry of articles (on Ria Novosti and other sites) stating that Nikolai Tsiskaridze would be appointed to that position. The statement came from the Ministry of Culture initially.
The subsequent murmurings and mumblings caused quite a stir locally.

The article link above in turn subsequently states that Gergiev intends to hire Irina Kolpakova, former member of the Soviet Duma, to replace Asylmuratova. And that he has flown to New York City to try to persuade her.

This is following her recent visit to St Petersburg in September, in which she claimed that the Academy was "a mess." Kolpakova has been living and working in the USA since the 1980s. She is a former Soviet ballerina who climbed the political ranks within the Communist Party in order to become a member of the State Duma and secure her position in the USSR; she then fled when it was convenient to do so. Numerous propaganda articles on her can be found in the State Archives. There is a recent "rose colored glasses" Russian language documentary created on her that provides glimpses of the truth.

Those of us who have followed the Academy for years hope that this does not come to pass. Asylmuratova has dedicated the second half of her life and career to cultivating the dancers we now see on stage. Gergiev has no official link with the Vaganova Academy, but the "umbrella project" mentioned recently (in another thread) would explain how he could then officially fill in that gap by obtaining the power and links necessary to hire and fire at will within not just the Academy but the Rimsky-Korsakov Conservatory, the Mariinsky, and likely even the Mikhailovsky Theatres, were that project to come to fruition. Whatever one's preferences are in terms of Mariinsky dancers on stage, I do not think anyone will disagree that the Academy continues to produce top-notch graduates who are currently dancing on the best stages across the world. I think that is testimony enough that the Academy is not a mess and we do not need to fix what is not broken.

I welcome discussion.

Post subject: Re: Gergiev wants Kolpakova to replace Altynai at Vaganova Acad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:23 pm 

It is really horrible how greedy he is for power. How much is enough? He needs to go back and re-watch Wagner's Ring Cycle which he loves to conduct and recognize the message: the more gold (money) and power you gain, the more you want and it destroys the world and love.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:53 am 

Penealla, excellent point!

Another update from today's news:

This is the latest update (article dated Oct 28) which states --I believe legally and correctly -- that Gergiev does not have the right to hire/fire within the Vaganova Academy.

http://www.svoboda.o...e/25149160.html

Interfax, with a link from Gergiev's press secretary, stated that Maestro is not carrying out any discussions regarding appointing a new *rector* of the Academy. (But note: the previous articles spoke not of Dorofeeva's position but of Altynai's as AD).
And that Gergiev is at present time not in NYC but in Vienna for the second day of orchestral concerts. The press sec added that he doesn't have the right to address hiring issues that are under the purview the Ministry of Culture. And that the issue of appointing a director of the Academy can ONLY be managed by the Ministry of Culture, and therefore the comments/articles that Maestro was holding discussions to this effect was just a fantasy.

If *that* article is true then there's a lot of speculation in the press going around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:22 am 

more rumors here, that Lopatkina and Tsiskaridze will be the new Academy team:

http://calendar.fontanka.ru/articles/1109/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:53 am 

http://www.gazeta.ru/culture/news/2013/10/28/n_3285237.shtml

Official announcement that Tsiskaridze and Lopatkina will be heading up the Academy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:48 am 

Wow! Big news! So is Asylmuratova out completely? Does that mean Lopatkina is retiring from the Mariinsky?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:24 am 

http://ria.ru/spb/20131028/973130254.html

No not retiring, she will combine the two positions the article says.

Nothing has been said officially about Asylmuratova and I'm worried about that...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:10 am 

Catherine, this is all huge news. First, THANK GOODNESS that Kolpakova did not get the job. Second, I'm wondering if Lopatkina really wants this job or if it was 'presented' to her...very convenient for Fateev, if he seeks to eliminate her from the roster sooner than later. (Yes, I realize that, for the moment, she remains as a dancer, but this big new full-time job might spur on a retirement from dancing.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:13 am 

Shocking developments. I too am extremely happy that I.A. Kolpakova wasn't appointed. Asylmuratova may have been too outspoken against Gergiev's desire to bring the Academy, as well as the Conservatoire under his "baton." For someone who cares and knows nothing about classical ballet, it's unconscionable that the Czar of Music has attained this kind of all encompasing power in Petersburg's artistic world. He is a musician and conductor - and this is where his expertise lies no more, no less. That said, I would have danced until I broke my back to have learned that Lopatkina was appointed the new A.D. of the Mariinsky Ballet.

Unfortunately Fateev survives, and the decline of the ballet company under his "watch" continues apace. Fortunately for the public, Uliana won't be hanging up her pointe shoes just yet, but that still won't stop Fateev's systematic fade-out of the Mariinsky Theatre's Prima Ballerina Assoluta. We know those whom Fateev is grooming in a futile attempt to take her place. Tsiskaridze's appointment is a colorful one - and ironic. Now that he's being given an administrative position, he may now learn first hand how difficult it really is to be a desk jockey and run an institution.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 am 

NataliaN wrote:
Catherine, this is all huge news. First, THANK GOODNESS that Kolpakova did not get the job. Second, I'm wondering if Lopatkina really wants this job or if it was 'presented' to her...very convenient for Fateev, if he seeks to eliminate her from the roster sooner than later. (Yes, I realize that, for the moment, she remains as a dancer, but this big new full-time job might spur on a retirement from dancing.)

Hi NN,
I had the same thought. And I fear that her stage performances will become fewer and further in between. I cannot think of a better appointment to the Academy than Lopatkina... but not a single word has been printed about Altynai. The latest article [http://www.5-tv.ru/news/77222/ ] states that today was Dorofeyeva's last official day and that she agreed to leave only if Gergiev would not have control over the Academy. I find that a heartening and dedicated statement from yet another woman (alongside Altynai) who has dedicated decades to the Academy's growth and artistic continuity.

My impression though (to your question) is that if you're offered an appointment by the Ministry of Culture: You don't refuse :wink:

Cygne, to your point, while I was surprised (actually SHOCKED is a better word) that thisall came to pass now, at all, out of the blue, I wasn't surprised at the choice of Lopatkina. I AM surprised that
1) Tsiskaridze will be in the institution at all
2) he will be *above* Lopatkina as far as I understand.

He comes from the Moscow background of training. And yes he is dedicated to the old Style...but he is dedicated to the old Moscow style. To me his appointment seems political, ie 'where can we put him, where can we... Oh i know! Lets put him at the Vaganova Academy." It's kind of like a puzzle piece that doesn't fit. I know he's an amazing artist; but in a million years would never have imagined him to be *appointed to a position in Petersburg* much less at the Academy."

Finally I keep thinking of Altynai. Did she know this was coming? where is she going? Unemployed? Pedagog too alongside husband Zaklinsky? I have admired her since her dancing career through her (artistic) management of the Academy, like or not the graduate crops from the past decade or more.

And further, I am shocked...well i guess I already said that :wink: Without words is more like it. Over the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:08 pm 

Moscow Times story on the Tsiskaridze appointment.

Moscow Times

An Agence France-Presse article on the appointments.

AFP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:18 am 

There is a lot of commentary in the Russian social media and unfortunately I'm on deadlines for the next 72 hrs and cannot take the time to translate them. But I post them here for reference and those who do not mind the slapshod quality of Google translations can at least get some idea of what is being said:

From Yuri Smekalov's facebook and Vkontakte pages (posted in both places) :

Quote:
ДОРОГИЕ ВЫПУСКНИКИ АКАДЕМИИ РУССКОГО БАЛЕТА!!! ДОРОГИЕ ПЕДАГОГИ!!!
Думаю, что среди Вас нет никого , кто бы был солидарен во мнении с министерством о назначении Николая Цискаридзе на должность Ректора ( другими словами "хозяйственника") Академии Русского Балета!
Расскажу короткий анекдот, свидетелем которого я был, характеризующий отношение этого прекрасного российского артиста (в прошлом) к нашей Петербургской alma mater:
"Однажды, прекрасным ноябрьским утром, в Большом театре, я посетил урок классического танца, который давал Артист и педагог Николай Максимович. Кроме меня, из учеников нашей прославленной школы имени А. Я. Вагановой, на этом уроке присутствовали Евгения Образцова, Михаил Лобухин, Филип Степин, а также замечательные артисты Большого театра, среди которых был и его ученик ( на тот период времени) Денис Родькин. Весь свой педагогический талант Н. М. направлял на своего ученика, пользуясь колкими, остроумными фразами. Одна из которых очень ярко врезалась в мою память. Николаю не нравилось, как Денис выполнял demi plié, и указывая на нас, он сказал следующее: "Если ты это не исправишь, то будешь похож на тех, с "ваганьковского" кладбища".
Шутка ли? Проходит год и он в наших стенах будет браться за воспитание детей...
Дорогие выпускники Академии, дорогие педагоги! Пишите, если Вы другого мнения. Если среди Вас найдется хоть один, кто поддерживает это назначение, буду искренне удивлен.

And from Sergey Vikharev:
Quote:
Сергей Вихарев, хореограф, балетмейстер-репетитор Мариинского театра

- Сама идея реформы Вагановской школы носилась в воздухе. Дело в том, что сегодня Вагановская академия, которую мы все - артисты, работающие в Мариинском театре, - заканчивали, оказалась абсолютно отделена от театра "ментально". И это тяжелая история, которая началась еще в советские времена: в 1977 году в театр назначили руководителем балета Олега Виноградова, а Константин Сергеев, который долго был на этой должности, возглавил Вагановскую школу. Тогда и произошел разрыв: Сергеев занял позицию против театра, а Виноградов, в свою очередь, демонстративно не стал брать в театр несколько выпусков, считая школу ужасной. С тех пор школа и театр находятся, по сути, в оппозиции. И последствия этого мы видим сейчас. Последнее, что потрясло всех в театре, это когда выпускница Петербургской академии Ольга Смирнова вдруг неожиданно, за одну ночь, приняла решение идти не в Мариинский театр, а в Большой. Это было воспринято как оскорбление. Конечно, мы все сейчас существуем в открытом мире, и выпускники свободны в своем выборе. Но воспитать прима-балерину - солистку, которая будет делать 20-30 лет репертуар и будет лицом театра, очень сложно. Поэтому идет борьба за человеческий ресурс. Нельзя также забывать, что школа ленинградская, петербургская - это составная часть петербургского балета.

Что касается Николая Цискаридзе, то я не знаю , какие у него организаторские способности. А на такой должности как ректор надо обладать очень большим опытом. Думаю, ему будет очень сложно. Все долго спорили - за и против, когда Цискаридзе предлагал себя и на должность худрука Большого театра, и на должность Большого театра. Но пока никто не может сказать, что именно он может сделать на таких должностях. Люди должны посмотреть, с какой программой он придет в Вагановскую академию, с какой командой. Думаю, полезно будет узнать, что он представляет собой не как артист Цискаридзе, о котором можно говорить только в превосходных степенях, а как руководитель коллектива, тем более коллектива, связанного с детьми. Это огромная ответственность. Я бы не решился, хотя за моими плечами руководство несколькими коллективами.

Я не могу сказать точно, как разграничены сегодня обязанности ректора и худрука Академии: в мои времена, когда я учился, директор отвечал за хозяйство, а худрук Константин Сергеев за образовательную часть. Поэтому пока мне не понятно, как будут Ульяна Вячеславовна Лопаткина, назначенная на должность худрука академии, разделять с Николаем Максимовичем Цискаридзе полномочия. Они две яркие личности, как мне кажется, абсолютно несоприкасающиеся друг с другом, исповедующие разные художественные взгляды. Какая ждет судьба школу, когда два таких разных великих человека буду вместе работать, не представляю! Ульяна Вячеславовна тоже ведь никогда не имела опыта художественного руководства коллективом. В общем, дух захватывает, как они на это решились.

Все-таки я надеюсь, что никакие люди, нововедния не смогут перебороть громадную традицию петербургской школы, которой уже 275 лет. За это время разные люди приходили, уходили, бывали всякие несообразные решения. Но в данном случае меня смущает какая-то лихость принятых решений. Их непродуманность. Все-таки в академии дети учатся, получают профессию. И каждый день здесь важен. А я знаю, что некоторые в академии уже начали подавать заявления об уходе в знак протеста. Может, они потом их отзовут, но для учеников время теряется. И все это происходит посреди учебного года и посреди сезона, когда должна уже начаться подготовка к зимнему "Щелкунчику", где школа выходит на сцену.

То, что касается разницы московской и петербургской балетных школ, то я считаю - Николай Максимович прекрасный артист, он танцует в хорошей манере, и революции здесь никакой не вижу: Цискаридзе не является протагонистом идеи, что московская школа контр петербургской. И я бы не стал противопоставлять здесь Москву и Петербург. Есть ценители и петербургской и московской школы. Это даже плюс, что существует разница. Когда я работал в Большом театре, ставил "Коппелию", "Петрушку", я даже говорил артистам - сделайте по-московски, дайте вашу актерскую игру! И я был доволен работой с Большим театром. Сейчас в декабре будет возобновление "Коппелии", и я с удовольствием снова поеду работать в Москву.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 am 

That pedagogues will resign if Lopatkina takes over, as they want Asylmuratova to stay:
http://www.baltinfo.ru/2013/10/28/Prepodavateli-Akademii-imeni-Vaganovoi-mogut-uvolitsya-v-svyazi-s-naznacheniem-khudrukom-akademii-Lopatkinoi-387865

Minister of Culture Medinsky that he hopes the level of the Academy will rise higher with the appointment of Lopatkina and Tsiskaridze:
http://www.baltinfo.ru/2013/10/28/Medinskii-o-naznachenii-Tciskaridze-i-Lopatkino-Nadeemsya-chto-planka-Vaganovki-podnimetsya-esche-vyshe-387791

That Tsiskardize has agreed to work with the Social Council/Board of the Ministry of Culture:
http://www.baltinfo.ru/2013/10/23/Tciskaridze-prinyal-predlozhenie-porabotat-v-Obschestvennom-sovete-Minkulta-386968

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:45 am 

The first quotation in Russian above (from Yuri Smekalov, choreographer and dancer with the Mariinsky, formerly of the Eifman troupe) made it into the Mail.ru newsroom and is republished in article format here:

http://news.mail.ru/inregions/st_petersburg/91/culture/15408158/?social=fb