public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 Kennedy Center Tour: Jan. 28 - Feb. 2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:31 am 

Am reposting NataliaN's post here, and starting a new thread for the DC tour:

Quote:
Casting now up for the late-Jan/early-Feb 2014 Swan Lake tour to Washington, DC:

1. Terioshkina/Schklyarov (3 shows, including opening night)
2. Kolegova/Zyuzin (2 shows)
3. Somova/Askerov (2 shows)

No Skorik? No Kondaurova??? Lopatkina will likely be busy with Olympic-related preparations, so I wasn't expecting her.

Details and exact dates:
http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=BOBSG

Recent Vaganova graduate Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova has been cast in the Pas de Trois at the Mariinsky this fall. I wonder if she'll go to DC? It would be a real treat to see her.

p.s. note Kondaurova in the Kennedy Center photo with Korsuntsev...

Post subject: Re: 2014 Kennedy Center Tour: Jan. 28 - Feb. 2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:44 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
.....p.s. note Kondaurova in the Kennedy Center photo with Korsuntsev...

Indeed. Also, the hard-copy brochure has a full-page photo of Lopatkina and Korsuntsev in scene 2.

Let's hope that Terioshkina & Schklyarov do perform on opening night or even make the tour. January 28, 2014, is far far away. Anything can happen. I've bought a 'cheap' ($29 - 2nd Tier sides) ticket for each of the first three nights, to cover all bases, in case the ballerinas are juggled or changed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:24 am 

NN i think that's a smart move :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 am 

I was lucky (and happy) to get a center box seat for the Feb. 1 matinee. :)

I never saw Kolegova or Zyuzin dance. I look forward to seeing them (assuming no casting changes).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:13 pm 

Willie, I think you will enjoy both dancers. Kolegova (I personally think she is the prettiest upper rank dancer at the Mariinsky) is a beauty and from what I can tell a great dancer. She tends toward having an introverted/calm stage presence, so I think her dramatic interpretation of Odette will be better than her Odile, but she is capable of pulling off the black swan as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:47 am 

Just to echo what PN said...Kolegova did one of the Swan Lakes in San Francisco last October on tour and she was much loved by the audience. I've also seen her cast numerous times in the Black Swan grand pas as part of an evening of Divertissements and she does well in it. She's able to pull off both roles and she's also very *reliable*...ie you don't see her get nervous (even if she is) or fumble. She's a smaller dancer, and very curvaceous (amazing feet) so the role looks different than it does on some of the other dancers (Tereshkina/Lopatkina) who are taller with more elongated lines...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:58 am 

In addition, there's something quite lovable about her. I was smitten twice in Costa Mesa, before Berkeley (across the Bay from San Francisco) and the audience was also, some front seat members (I joined in) giving her a standing ovation after her White Swan duet (a first in my viewing experience).

I'm quite a fan of long-lined ballerinas, especially in "Swan Lake," but Anastasia Kolegova reopened my eyes to the fact that it doesn't necessarily have to be that way -- Galina Ulanova for instance. I can't exactly explain how she 'compensates' for this. She doesn't seem to imply long lines like some other not-tall dancers. I do recall being totally impressed with the detailed fineness of her dancing.

And from the actual experience, I posted at CD,

"How can so much amazing talent be compressed into such a lovable little package ?

"She floated onto the stage like one of the most graceful clouds in the sky. Her Dreamy Motion kept them company, uninterrupted, for two entire afternoons. As for Grace, Imagery, Sculpture, Aura....you name it, she's got it !

" Weekends Will Never Be The Same ! "

This video clip gives at least of hint of her loveliness and talent. (It was posted by the Latvian National Opera, where she appeared at a gala, so I assume that it's okay to post here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=WHz ... =endscreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:10 am 

Casting changes, as normally happen. Biggest shocker is Terioshkina off the tour, so Opening Night now going to Somova. All-important Saturday night now going to Olga Yesina.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are further changes, i.e., Skorik, perhaps, to dance with her usual partner Askerov (instead of Olga Yesina)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:49 am 

Interesting that Esina is on the tour as she is a (permanent?) guest artist for the season. But usually guest artists don't...tour with the company...so this is new.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:31 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Interesting that Esina is on the tour as she is a (permanent?) guest artist for the season. But usually guest artists don't...tour with the company...so this is new.

Catherine, Olga Esina also appeared twice in Naples, Italy in September performing Swan Lake.

They're treating her like a "permanent" Principal -- I hope, I hope ! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:13 am 

Thanks Buddy, I didn't know she was on the Naples tour too - that's interesting. I haven't been to the studios lately but it's possible she's rehearsing full time here (for 1 year)? Anything is possible...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:46 am 

This is happening next week. Casting remains the same on the KC website, ever since the initial changes made (Terioshkina out/Somova in for opening night). Catherine, do you happen to know if the DC tour leads are still planned to be:

Cast 1 - Somova/Schklyarov (did she dance Juliet recently, as slated?)
Cast 2 - Kolegova/Zyuzin
Cast 3 - Yesina/Askerov?

I have to chuckle that Terioshkina is dancing a couple of Giselles back home, during the Kennedy Center tour, which she was originally scheduled to headline. I guess that she is not so indisposed after all. (wink)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45 am 

NataliaN, serendipitous, I was just going to repost the Kennedy Center link, which is here:

I have not heard of any changes yet...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:05 am 

Thanks, Catherine. Still the same. The troupe has been in DC since Sat/Sunday but still no cast changes...so maybe 'no news is good news'?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:43 pm 

Am hoping so! Curious what the reports will be for those who watch the DC performances. Feel free to post impressions afterwards. And good luck to the company!