public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Galina Rakhmanova passes away Oct 2013
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:28 am 

Received the news today that the talented dancer, master of character roles, and pedagogue Galina Rakhmanova passed away on October 5 after a long-term fight with cancer. She was 49. I saw Galina first when I moved to Russia in 2004, watched her as Mercedes in Don Q, the Indian Dance in Bayadere, and in numerous other roles. I observed her in rehearsals, she always said hello and smiled in the hallways (note: not everyone here does that!) I saw her retire from the stage approximately 5 yrs ago or so, when she shifted to full time pedagogy work. As recently as the end of last season Galina was still in the studios working. It would have been impossible to know she was fighting cancer, undergoing chemotherapy (I learned this just today). Although I was not among her close friends, I can say from observation that she was a hard working, extremely talented dancer and had a heart of gold. It is a shame that such people have life taken away from them so early when others with much less to offer live for so much longer. Rest in peace Galina.

Post subject: Re: Galina Rakhmanova passes away Oct 2013
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:20 am 

Shocking news, to leave this world at a relatively young age is a tragedy. Rakhmanova was an important asset to the Kirov from many years as a performer and always gave of her best, my sympathies to all who knew her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:10 pm 

I'm so sorry to learn of the death of Galya Rahkmanova. May she rest in peace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm 

I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news. Galina Rakhmanova was THE TSARINA of character dancers for so many years. There will never be a Bayadere Indian Dance lead like she! I'm old enough to remember that she used to be cast, during the 80s and early 90s, in pointe-shoe solo roles, too, such as Big Swan in Swan Lake or Street Dancer in DonQ. She was one of Mme Dudinskaya's most loyal students and had a huge following among the long-time local fans in the upper galleries. Rakhmanova will be missed. RIP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:45 pm 

It sounds like she was a very fine individual and I also offer my warmest condolences.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:31 am 

I happen to agree with all of you. I attended her funeral service this morning at St. Nicholas' Cathedral. Many dancers, pedagogues were in attendance. This is a huge loss for the theatre. It is still a shock to so many, me included.

NataliaN wrote:
I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news. Galina Rakhmanova was THE TSARINA of character dancers for so many years. There will never be a Bayadere Indian Dance lead like she! I'm old enough to remember that she used to be cast, during the 80s and early 90s, in pointe-shoe solo roles, too, such as Big Swan in Swan Lake or Street Dancer in DonQ. She was one of Mme Dudinskaya's most loyal students and had a huge following among the long-time local fans in the upper galleries. Rakhmanova will be missed. RIP.

NN, I agree, just wanted to add I saw her numerous times as the Street Dancer in DonQ and just prior to my arrival in St P she was dancing classical roles more frequently --which she excelled in as well-- as you note. In her final performing years she truly came into her own as a character dancer...even today when I see a character role performed, as good as it may be, I find myself recalling her presence on stage... Her talents ran deep and I am not sure they were fully used, as they should have been, these last five or so years in the theatre. She was officially dismissed along with Ayupova in 2007 and had been receiving perfunctory coaching assignments since then, while fighting this disease. As someone at the service said, she had so much knowledge and talent and it should have been used and passed on... It's just a tragic story.

As the very well written press release announcing her passing noted, when she appeared in a performance, that appearance alone would make it into an "event" and often her dancing was the highlight of the evening -- I speak of something such as Don Q, when perhaps the viewer would come to see Kitri/Basil but in the end, it was Raxmanova who they remembered most...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am 

So true, whoever would have accused Rakhmanova of a bad performance? She always gave of her best and frequently stole the show. I went to see the new RB Don Q. last night and my thoughts turned to this wonderful dancer when I heard 'her' music, this is a dancer whose memory will live on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:36 am 

Even a few months ago, watching Don Q here, I had the same reaction Cassandra! that is someone leaving their mark forever, indeed...