public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bolshoi Ballet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm 

I saw Lost Illusions in Moscow when it debuted (the same month) and I loved it personally. Lucky Paris!

I watched Smirnova's pre-graduation year and graduation-year performances and I can say that she resembles nothing of Skorik, either physically or otherwise. She has a calm aristocratic bearing and a capacity for fluid lyricism that few her age have. (Plus a beautiful face and body). The Bayadere Act III Shades excerpt she danced was "colder" than other things she has danced and given the right outlet she can emote. Cassandra, Smirnova is one not to be missed. My opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:49 am 

In that case I'll try to see her in the summer, but with no casting announced yet and booking getting close, it's possible I won't catch her this time around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:12 am 

Anastasia Volochkova makes accusations against Bolshoi management of ignoring sexual abuse against female dancers by Moscow's wealthy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21856516

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:43 am 

Previews of "The Age of the Rite of Spring -- The Age of Modernism."

Sergei Loiko for the Los Angeles Times.

LA Times

Sophia Kishkovsky for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:50 pm 

Nikolai Tsiskaridze's teaching and performance contract at the Bolshoi is not being renewed beyond June 30, 2013, according to Russian press sources.

RIA Novosti

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:47 pm 

Press reports on the non-renewal of Tsiskaridze.

Ismene Brown for the Arts Desk.

Arts Desk

Damien McElroy for the Telegraph.

Telegraph

Ellen Barry for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:14 am 

New York Times Moscow correspondent Ellen Barry reports that Bolshoi general director Anatoly Iksanov will be removed prior to the conclusion of his contract in December 2014.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 am 

I am very unhappy about the Telegraph coverage of the Tsiskaridze dismissal. This for example is completely untrue:

Quote:
A Tsiskaridze protégé at the Bolshoi, soloist Pavel Dmitrichenko,

Dmitrichenko has never been a protégé of Tsiskaridze's.

I note the writer of this piece, Damien McElroy, is described as a foreign correspondent and not as an arts correspondent, so I would be very interested to know exactly where he gets his twisted information from. My guess is either from a certain UK arts hack with an agenda or from the even more malicious orchestrator of the anti Tsiskaridze claque in Moscow. Either way it is a shame to read this from the Telegraph which I would have assumed had a little more integrity than this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:25 am 

More reports on the Anatoly Iksanov departure.

RIA Novosty

Associated Press (via CBC News)

CBC News

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:47 am 

An interesting article from Le Figaro (in French) speculating about who is responsible for Mr Iksanov’s dismissal:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2013/07/ ... barque.php

It seems that the view from Paris is that either a female admirer of Tsiskaridze whose husband is an oligarch is responsible, or it is all down to the anger of Svetlana Zakharova.

I imagine the first theory can be discounted because if the wealthy fan in question wielded so much power Tsiskaridze would not have been let go in the first place. So could Zakharova be behind this? People forget that Zakharova engages in some very interesting extracurricular activities, as away from her day job she is an M.P in the United Russia party and according to this article actually sits on the Duma’s Arts Committee. Zakharova was to have danced as first cast in the Bolshoi’s first performance of Cranko’s Onegin, but was relegated to second cast to accommodate new management favourite Smirnova. Ms Z. was furious and removed herself from all performances. However Figaro seems to blame Reid Anderson and Dieter Graefe, for this casting decision, even harking back to the time when they prevented Sylvie Guillem from dancing the role, saying they “take some sort of perverse pleasure” when they “tumble the divas from their thrones” (undoubtedly true). The mention of Igor Zelensky as being involved in the plot is news to me and it is a shame that Le Figaro doesn’t enlarge on what his involvement is supposed to be.

Parisian arts panjandrum Hugues Gall weighs in with the opinion that the Bolshoi is ungovernable and although I have every sympathy with that view, I still feel it shouldn’t be. Perhaps the corruption that is now endemic in Russian society as a whole has taken root in the company to everyone’s detriment, just don’t expect the problems to be resolved anytime soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:52 am 

Ismene Brown reports on the Iksanov departure for the Arts Desk.

Arts Desk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm 

Just got the dvd of Svetlana Lunkina performing Giselle and have been watching the Act II duet over and over.

** Just Incredible **

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 pm 

Such lovely poetry of motion is as fine as I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 am 

In regard to the Svetlana Lunkina "Giselle" dvd and its Act II duet, just mentioned above, I found something that I wrote here from Feb. 12, 2011, Lausanne, Switzerland. Please allow me to post it again.

Svetlana Lunkina -- "Giselle"

Her second act Giselle was

Sublime, Absolutely Sublime !

Her duet after leading Albricht to shelter was

Breathtaking !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:56 am 

Ismene Brown, still indefatigable in her mission to do down the Bolshoi Ballet at every opportunity, has come up with this extraordinary piece written by an 'anti Putin blogger' who pins the blame for the Ikasanov sacking very firmly on Tsiskaridze and Zakharova.

The two aforementioned dancers have powerful friends it seems with Tsiskaridze rubbing shoulders with oligarchs (more specifically their wives) and Zakharova goes one better having the ear of Putin himself. Here's the blog:

http://www.ismeneb.com/Blog/Entries/201 ... chief.html

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next