public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mariinsky 2012-2013 (230th) season
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 pm 

It was "Leda & the Swan" that Olga Yesina danced so beautifully with Alexander Sergeyev, Natalia. For me it was her Swan Lake at this year's Festival, where you could get a long, long look at her, which sent me floating off to heaven. The longer the better with each of tonight's dancers.

All in all I thought that it was a Beautiful Evening ! Congratulations to Everyone !

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:30 am 

NataliaN wrote:
Very sad commentary, Cassandra.

Just saw the gala live on ARTE. I coulnted 7 ballet numbers (including the modern Sacre) and 14 non-ballet (opera or other)...15 non-ballet numbers, if you count Putin's speech (ha-ha). I guess that ballet was lucky to scrape one-third of tonight's program.

Loved Kondaurova in Dying Swan the best, although Lopatkina's Pavlova & Cecchetti, Alexander Sergeev (with Yesina) in a modern ballet, and Kolegova/Kimin's Etudes were also fantastic. By the way, who was the 2nd solo guy in Etudes? Schklyarov??? Hard to see.

Filippe Stepin and Kimin Kim were the two Etudes men...Shklyarov was the main partner.

Esina danced the same Leda and the Swan with Shishov during the festival if I recall. It's a unique piece.

I was surprised they allowed Putin to sit in the orchestra and that only 1000 attendees filled the 2000-seat hall. I guess it's easier for security the fewer people they have there. Still I am sitting one block from the theatre watching it on MT Live and so wanted to just go across the street and sit down! Putin must have arrived very early bc I was outside the building with my friend past the start time and he did not show up during that period.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 am 

It would have been really nice if they could have squeezed you in last night, Catherine. We'll have to talk to them about that. :)

I looked at today's and tomorrow's schedule and you should be seeing some really good performances. Do you think that Oxana Skorik will appear again in Diamonds? That would be nice to see. [Added later: With Ulyana Lopatkina scheduled for tonight, probably not, but it should be beautiful]. Tell us something about these, if you can, and also your ongoing impressions of the new theatre.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 am 

Hi Buddy,
Thanks! :D yes let's -- cannot tell you how frustrating it was!!

I will definitely let you know about tonight. I"m fairly certain the lead in Diamonds is set as Lopatkina. Skorik appeared in the Diamonds excerpt last night so I do not expect her tonight. Kondaurova will dance Rubies. Xander Parish and Maria Shirinkina will lead Emeralds. I'm really looking forward to tonight, the "maiden performance" at the new theatre!! I am also a bit disappointed since last night featured so much of the "mechanical possibilities" of the stage, sliding the floor plates on with the dancers or singers already standing on them, posed. I dont expect we will see that tonight, just a traditional performance of Jewels.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:58 am 

I've been rewatching parts of the performances from last night and I've mainly been focussing on Oxana Skorik. Ulyana Lopatkina is the 'Queen', but Oxana Skorik has a youthful freshness that I'm loving. I'll also continue to say that she is a "Gem!", so lovely and so fine for so many reasons.

It should be great to see Xander. Maria Shirinkina just impresses me more and more each time that I see her. She's very quiet, but always emerges front and center when I think back to performances that she's been. She is lovely, lovely, lovely !

Have a great time tonight for your first performance in the new theatre.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:41 am 

Cool to see Gene (Schiavone) cruising around in the aisles taking the official photos. Say hi to him for me, please, if you get a chance.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 am 

Saw a news item about this on RT last night: Putin admiring the walls, Putin admiring the auditorium, Putin talking to Gergiev (whose birthday it was). Looked like A Life for the Tsar was being performed among some other brief clips.

The presenter interviewed Keenan Kampa who gushed over everthing and then had a couple of words with the architect.

Al Jazeera also had a brief feature about this, panning across the St Petersburg skyline and talking about the glories of the past, a subtle way of making a point?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:52 am 

As a side note I felt in good company to see Andrey Ermakov also standing outside the main doors watching the tuxedos and high heels file in until well after 8pm. Two Mariinsky employees who are friends of mine, and who sell their souls to the organization also were not in attendance last night, so I suppose I'm in good company.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:12 pm 

More watching of the video from last night. This time Ulyana Lopatkina.

All I can really say is ---- ! Wow !

I've never seen her otherwise, actually.

The entire evening can be seen at:
http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Gala_In ... tersbourg/
(Ulyana Lopatkina at 34:30)

I'm looking forward to what Catherine has to say about her tonight.

[added next day: Viktor Baranov was Ulyana Lopatkina's fine partner]
[the starting time was changed on video and has been corrected above]

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:04 am 

Catherine, while we are waiting for your possible comments on what you've been seeing at the new Mariinsky II, I would like to quickly comment on at least one dancer, whose artistry I believe that you like very much -- Svetlana Ivanova.

Ekaterina Osmolkina and Svetlana Ivanova

Lyrical Beauty

I've been thinking somewhat about the more linear ballerinas. They have long limbs and they look long.There are the obvious tall ones, but less obvious maybe are the shorter ones. I would put Ekaterina Osmolkina and Svetlana Ivanova in this grouping. I see a lot of similarities between these two lovely artists. Catherine, do you, or anyone else, feel the same at all ?

Ekaterina Osmolkina has been featured much more, I believe. One possible reason for this is that Svetlana Ivanova left the Mariinsky for a short period of time.

I like very much what I consider the 'ethereal' dancers. They are dreamlike. They often tend to be linear. There are also what I would call the expressive dancers. They are wonderful as well. A dancer like Ekaterina Kondaurova fits all these categories. She's tall-linear, and she can do ethereal-lyrical or expressive equally well. She's quite special.

Also an artist like Anastasia Kolegova isn't really linear in her expression, she doesn't have long limbs, but somehow she compensates for this beautifully with her lyrically expressive manner.

Ekaterina Osmolkina and Svetlana Ivanova are such beautiful artists. I surely hope that we can see them both appearing as much as possible.

Added comment:

I would really like to mention this as well. A quick reference was made here to Keenan Kampa recently being interviewed. I met her once briefly and she is one of the nicest individuals that I've ever spoken to.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:30 pm 

Just a note (Buddy) Gene Schiavone wasn't here, it was Valentin Baranovsky you saw in the video in the left aisle.

I'll post comments as soon as I can, am very pressed for time now.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 am 

Oksana Skorik was featured in the 30-minute 'mini-documentary' on RT cable last week ("Ballet: Sweat & Tears"). She and Timur were followed/interviewed, including a tantalizing rehearsal clip from Diamonds. I must say that I admire Skorik more than before after this documentary. Her physique is perfect - to die for! She just needs to believe in herself more.

The mini-doc also featured a look at the lives of 4 or 5 'little girl' boarders at the Vaganova Acad, a quick look at Vishneva rehearsing and performing Carmen, a visit to Vishneva's long-time teacher/mentor Ludmilla Kovaleva (LK's daughter, corps member Alissa Sokolova recently had a baby!), and a brief look at Lopatkina/Korsakov (I think it was he) performing the Swan Lake 'white' adagio.

I kept waiting for 'part II' of the documentary to be aired but, apparently, it was only the one 30-minute piece. So much work for only 28-30 minutes?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:06 am 

I saw a video on YouTube that I can no longer find. It contrasted Martynyuk and Skorik in the same variation as Kitri, and even though Skorik has definitely improved, you see a huge difference between these two dancers. It is night and day. I can't find the video anymore, but initially when I saw clips of Skorik's Kitri, I actually thought, "Wow! She has improved." But then I saw the video mentioned above and Martynyuk looks like a dancer from the old Kirov videos. She literally blows you away and you realize what is missing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 am 

NataliaN wrote:
Oksana Skorik was featured in the 30-minute 'mini-documentary' on RT cable last week ("Ballet: Sweat & Tears"). She and Timur were followed/interviewed, including a tantalizing rehearsal clip from Diamonds. I must say that I admire Skorik more than before after this documentary. Her physique is perfect - to die for! She just needs to believe in herself more.

The mini-doc also featured a look at the lives of 4 or 5 'little girl' boarders at the Vaganova Acad, a quick look at Vishneva rehearsing and performing Carmen, a visit to Vishneva's long-time teacher/mentor Ludmilla Kovaleva (LK's daughter, corps member Alissa Sokolova recently had a baby!), and a brief look at Lopatkina/Korsakov (I think it was he) performing the Swan Lake 'white' adagio.

I kept waiting for 'part II' of the documentary to be aired but, apparently, it was only the one 30-minute piece. So much work for only 28-30 minutes?

I watched this too, but can't agree regarding Ms Skorik, I found the Grand Pas Classique variation very ugly and danced at too slow a tempo and how blank she is! Quite liked the boyfriend though - a much more engaging personality.

Those teachers are far too harsh on the kids in my view and as for making that lovely looking little girl, Polina Ustinova the only one that appeared to have what it takes, diet - that is child abuse in my book.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am 

Is there any possibility to watch the documentary online? I'd really like to watch it!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next