public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: International Ballet Festival Mariinsky 2013
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:20 pm 

Olga Esina

"Swan Lake"

Possibly The Most *Beautiful* Performance That I've Seen At This Year's Festival

She Was Absolutely Lovely !

Her style is somewhat of a juxtaposing of

**the Quietest, Yet Most Subtly Beautifully Dancing**

with magnificent, flexibly stretched-out

**Highlighting That Often Attains The Sublime**

Her dancing contains large passages of quietness that are made absolutely compelling by their

**Airy Fineness**

She has other exceptional qualities, such as the focus of her characterization, the way that she makes wonderfully crafted and exciting transitions from one dance 'phrase' to the next and the curvilinear way that her limbs reach out to create the most beautiful of tracery images.

She Is A Gem !

Evgeny Ivanchenko as Sigfried was a very fine and secure partner with a very pleasant excitement to his solo work, as in his high, airy jumps and graceful spins.

Xander Parish was once again on the scene, in the Act I dance for three, with his remarkable nobility and dance style. He has a compelling way of standing out and hopefully will be featured in as many important roles as is possible.

Daria Vasnetsova along with Anastasia Nikitina returned this evening as the two swans in Act IV. They were both absolutely lovely.

There was a lot more, but after the enchantment of Olga Esina's Lakeside duet, I really didn't concentrate on much else, at least until after the intermission.

It Was Another Absolutely Beautiful Evening !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:47 pm 

Another Absolutely Great Evening From Beginning To End !

I have to catch a plane tomorrow, but I'll try to write more if I can.

ThIs Is One Of The Finest Mariinsky Festivals That I've Been To In Nine Years !

So Many Dancers Performed As Well Or Better Than I've Ever Seen Them Perform.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 am 

I'm reviewing the festival for another publication so won't go into detail here but if anyone wishes feedback on certain performers, am happy to share my impressions. Meanwhile am going to update the other main season thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
I'm reviewing the festival for another publication so won't go into detail here but if anyone wishes feedback on certain performers, am happy to share my impressions.

I'll greatly look forward to reading this, Catherine. Anything that you can add here to describe what I consider to be one of the best Mariinsky Festivals yet, will always be highly welcomed. Can you maybe briefly comment on a few of your personal highlights ?

The Gala Evening

Apollo (George Balanchine)

Nice to get a close-to-the-source (NYC) take on Balanchine at the Mariinsky with Chase Finlay (NYCB). He had a noble Balanchine presence that worked perfectly. All the complex patterning and dancing was clearly illustrated by everyone. Maria Shirinkina, as Terpsicord, was a lyrical treasure.

All in all, it was a beautifully poetic interpretation by everyone.

The Divertissements

The Sleeping Beauty -- Pas de deux (Marius Petipa)

Yekaterina Osmolkina gave us another of the most beautiful performances to be seen this year. Absolutely Lovely ! Vadim Muntagirov (English National Ballet) did just fine and once again was an extremely sympathetic partner.

Marguerite and Armand -- Pas de deux (Frederick Ashton)

Ulyana Lopatkina performed this with Andrei Yermakov. She was artistic beauty personified, as usual. Her characterization was as fine as I've see. She was the real thing, so once again, Hollywood, take note.

Ballet 101 (Eric Gautier)

Vladimir Shklyarov did a very fine run through of 101 ballet positions and then rearranged and accelerated them into a display of artistry, virtuosity and bravura. It had fine humor and a lot of enjoyment.

Die Fledermaus -- Pas de deux (Roland Petit)

Olga Esina (Vaganova graduate, now Vienna Statsballet).

** One Of The Most Beautiful Dancers That I've Ever Seen ! **

Once again, she took my breathe away. Vladimir Shishov (Vienna Statsballet) was a fine and secure partner.

Tous les jours (Marcelo Gomes)

Chase Finlay (NYCB) did a fine job with this very inventive adventures in dance, by the one and only - "Let's give a great hand to !" -- the most entertaining man in ballet ! -- Marcelo Gomes !!

Grand pas classique (Victor Gzovsky)

Oxana Skorik was technically right-on in this very demanding, but highly enjoyable work. Of particular excellence were her flawless single, single with leg straight out to the side, double, fouette spins. Her basic lyrical beauty was just as evident, as usual. Timor Askerov, a great lyrical and exciting dancer, was an excellent partner.

Etudes (Harold Lander)

If you think that these little angel 'ballerinas' and their dancing guys are not world class athletes, then think again ! There wasn't much of the stage left after Olesya Novikova and Kim Kimin were through with it.

It started out with ballet exercises and ended in a whirlwind. It was admittedly a crowd pleaser of a Festival finale, but it showed great artistry and was great fun.

It featured a cast of 'thousands'. One thing that it did beautifully was to call attention to the immense talent of *All* the Mariinsky dancers and it was a fine tribute. Wonderful to be reminded of this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:57 pm 

Buddy wrote:
Oxana Skorik ... May well be the Mariinsky's next great star !

Tiara wrote:
I cannot agree Oxana Skorik could be a great star - in my eyes this is impossible.

Cassandra wrote:
Well said, Tiara.

Buddy wrote:
Oxana Skorik

"La Bayadere"

I've often mentioned that I consider the *Essence* of her artistry to be something of extremely Refined Beauty.

I must see Oxana Skorik myself to understand the difference of opinion. So I decided that I will travel to St. Petersburg to see her as Nikia in La Bayadère at the Mariinsky on 13 April.

I have nothing else to do that weekend. :D

By the way, I have an extra ticket. If anyone would like to see Oxana and La Bayadère, PM me. Yes, the ticket is free. :) The seats are Stalls Right side, Row 13, Place 12 and 13.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:34 pm 

If nobody from here takes you up on your kind offer, Willie, and you leave the seat empty, somebody in the balconies who can't afford the orchestra will surely occupy it so you will have done a good deed anyway.

Dress code is pretty much anything goes these days as long as you look like you care. It was fairly cold at Festival time so you might want to take extra warm clothing. The theater has always been very comfortably heated.

If you haven't been to St. Petersburg before then you have to go the Hermitage Museum of Art !

On the Second Floor at the left of the grand stairway going towards the back are first the Rembrandts, then the two Leonardos and then a small Michelangelo statue. On the third floor at the right side half way back are the French Impressionists through to Picasso. The Matisse collection in this grouping is possibly the finest in the world. All these are must sees.

You can get a floor plan in the lobby. Allow an hour to find your way around. It's huge. The museum attendants in almost every room are very nice and will be glad to help you.

Please kiss the Blarney Stone for me, whatever the St. Petersburg equivalent might be. Have a great trip !