public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: International Ballet Festival Mariinsky 2013
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:17 pm 

Olga Bugrova previews the festival for the Voice of Russia.

Voice of Russia

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:36 am 

Thanks, Francis, for the above article.

Tonight will be the first performance that I'm able to attend and I hope to see all the remaining ones. It's Don Quixote. Elena Yevseyeva, whom I don't recall seeing before, will be Kitri. Most of the other main dancers I'm familiar with and should be exciting to watch.

Don Quixote -- Some of the Cast

Elena Yevseyeva -- Kitri -- Look forward to seeing for probably the first time.
Kim Kimin -- Basilio -- Very exciting and highly promising young Mariinsky dancer from South Korea.
Oxana Skorik -- The Dryad Queen -- May well be the Mariinsky's next great star !
Daria Pavlenko -- The Street Dancer -- Haven't seen her in so long and hope that her presence will be highlighted in many, many more performances.
Vladimir Ponomarev (hopefully) -- Don Quixote -- In the character part of the Don, Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant !

Ekaterina Kondaurova

One of the most rewarding and certainly most interesting evenings should be the one featuring her as the lead in Emeralds, Rubies and Diamonds. This is perhaps the first time ever than anyone has attempted this.

In the most recent issue of The St. Petersburg Times in an article by Galina Stolyarova Ekaterina Kondaurova comments:

“When there is an opportunity to hold a ballet evening of your own, naturally, you aim to treat your audience to something special — a completely new work or a new role that will show your art from a different angle and give a different perspective on what you do on stage,” Kondaurova said. “I would be thrilled to do a whole evening of “Jewels” as this experience offers me a huge challenge. This will be a test of both my stamina and perseverance and my artistic skills alike. Stylistically, the three ballets are very different, and it will be tough having to switch from one to another.”

The article begins with the statement that "Kondaurova thrives on eccentricity…." I would say that she has shown herself to be perhaps the Mariinsky's most adaptable ballerina. To further illustrate this…."Kondaurova is also rehearsing the Forsythe works. “I am overwhelmed by this experience, and I am very much looking forward to seeing Forsythe at the festival,” she said. “He is an energizer of a person, and his ballets demand so much from you both physically and emotionally.” "

http://www.sptimes.ru/index_bp.php?acti ... &section=4

Maybe even more important, the last two years have also revealed Ekaterina Kondaurova as being possibly the most elegantly graceful ballerina on the world stage today.

Two more highlights that I'll greatly be looking forward to are Oxana Skorik as Nikiya (La Bayadere) and Olga Esina as Odette-Odile (Swan Lake).

The long awaited debut at the Mariinsky of George Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream with Ulyana Lopatkina as Titania and Maria Shirinkina with Xander Parish in the Act II duet should be a wonderfully beautiful evening.

I'm sure, that as in the past, there will be some great surprise performances. Last year, one of the finest of all the performances and a most pleasant surprise, was Oxana Skorik's Odette duet from Swan Lake at the closing night Gala.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 pm 

Through The Cold And The Ice
A Soul Shines Through

"Some Enchanted Evening"

"Don Quixote"

After a few moments realization that this wasn't Osipova-Vasiliev, everything settled into place Beautifully.

Viva La Difference.

But like Natalia Osipova, this was an evening that never quite touched the ground.

It was an evening that fit like a glove -- Heavenly !

An Evening of Fineness -- Absolute Fineness !

** For Creating A World Of Enchantment -- The Mariinsky Ballet Is Perhaps Without Equal **

Elena Yevseyeva (Kitri)

Another Mariinsky Gem -- Once again -- Viva La Difference

Our after theatre group in St. Petersburg is down to one in number for the moment, but if we had been together the first thing that we would have agreed on….
" Isn't She Lovely ! "

The second thing….
" Wasn't He Something ! " (Kim Kimin)

" Weren't They All Something ! "

An Evening Almost 100% Children Friendly.

Whys ?

Hopefully more to say later.

For the moment can we just let the Dream have its effect.

My first night at the Festivals sometimes does this to me.

" Sweet Dreams And Goodnight Till The Dawn's Early Light "

Last edited by Buddy on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 pm 

Buddy wrote:

Tonight will be the first performance that I'm able to attend and I hope to see all the remaining ones. It's Don Quixote. Elena Yevseyeva, whom I don't recall seeing before, will be Kitri. Most of the other main dancers I'm familiar with and should be exciting to watch.

Kim Kimin -- Basilio -- Very exciting and highly promising young Mariinsky dancer from South Korea.
Oxana Skorik -- The Dryad Queen -- May well be the Mariinsky's next great star !

Now I know that things are really wrong in Mariinsky Theatre when someone can actually think of Oxana Skorik as possibly being the Mariinsky's next great star. To be a star a ballerina must have some quality that sets her above others, and I can see none of this in Oxana Skorik. I have seen her dance in St Petersburg many times and on video even more, and have yet to see her give a "great" performance. Actually, I have never seen her give an adequate performance. Always there is some rearrangement of choreography to suit her - the ballones in Giselle that did not happen, the overhead lifts in Swan Lake that she did not do, the numerous occasions where she just fell off pointe, the failed Italian fouettes, the slightly unfinished steps - it is an endless list. She strikes a pose with admittedly impressive extension, but she does not flow between poses, she does not have the Mariinsky beautiful arms and upper body. I cannot agree Oxana Skorik could be a great star - in my eyes this is impossible. If there were some technical deficiencies but she had other "great" qualities I could forgive them. If she could make me forget everything except the character she was portraying, I would overlook all the technical errors. If she had some personality or soul shining through her dancing, some expression coming from within ... I would love to see this. This is what we all look for in a truly great dancer - one who touches us and moves us and expresses the music from within. Oxana Skorik is not this ballerina.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:03 pm 

'A Midwinter Night's Rave with William Forsythe'

I thought that it went quite well, actually.

There were two performances by the Mariinsky dancers and one by the Forsythe Company. I would call the Mariinsky performances the 'classicist' take on Forsythe and there's nothing wrong with that at all, in my mind. They do it with Balanchine, Preljocaj ("Le Parc") and others and it works just fine. These aren't simply Mariinsky glosses of other styles. They tend to be Mariinsky 'refined-graceful-classical-lyrical' oriented, but they have feeling, depth, command and basic human understanding. They work and they work beautifully.

The evening started with three Mariinsky women and two Mariinsky men doing "The Vertiginous Thrill Of Exactitude". Then four Forsythe men without any music showed Forsythe at his abstract most recent best in "N.N.N.N.". Then six Mariinsky women and three Mariinsky men did "In The Middle Somewhat Elevated".

To add to my personal list of comparisons, I happened to go upstairs where there is an exhibit of some photos, etc. of Rudolf Nureyev. Part of the exhibit includes a video without sound. In one segment he is dancing "Don Quixote" and he comes somewhat off balance for a moment. "Pure Forsythe," I thought.

Ekaterina Kondaurova performed one of the leads in "In The Middle Somewhat Elevated". There is an internet video clip of her doing this a few years ago in which she seems to be more agile and closer to the Forsythe style. "Well she's simply become more of a classicist overall," I thought. Then I looked through my theater glasses and I could see something else in this somewhat more restrained manner and it was an inner expression. The man sitting behind me, who is an English actor said, "Well there was some fine theatrical tension in that one." He was referring to everyone in the work, and I was thinking "Ekaterina Kondaurova".

Daria Pavlenko

She appeared tonight as one of the leads in "In The Middle Somewhat Elevated" and last night as The Street Dancer in "Don Qixote". She seems to have grown considerably in character portrayal since I last saw her too many years ago. It would probably be better to say more "focussed" in character portrayal, because about seven years back her two Giselles in Washington DC were state of the art in characterization. She is another example of "Artistry" growing with age. Because she can now do this with excellent consistency, it would probably be called maturity. I remember thinking seven years ago that if she could ever combine this with her innocent loveliness, it could be something very, very special.

Her physicality is still very impressive. Doing The Street Dancer and definitely Forsythe are a fine display of this. We are sometimes reminded how physically capable and incredibly agile these ethereal lyricists actually are. Even the lighter than air Ulyana Lopatkina has really surprised me with how impressively she can throw herself around.

I do hope to see much more of Daria Pavlenko, because she remains a performing artist of the highest order.

Tonight's Forsythe evening "Rocked." It was a fine contrast to last night's evening in the Heavens.

Not all Shining Stars sit still in the Heavens.

(I only have limited internet access, but I'll try to follow any discussions here as well as I can)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:18 pm 

Svetlana Zakhavora

"Giselle"

**** Her Performance Tonight Was Possibly The Best Performance That I've Ever Seen ****

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 pm 

Svetlana Zakharova

"Giselle"

**** Her Performance Tonight Was Possibly The Best Performance That I've Ever Seen ****

Since the birth of her little girl about two years ago her presence and persona have arrived in another dimension.

Tonight Her Presence Could Be Described As Astounding !

Her Dance Has Also Reached Another Remarkable Level Of Interpretation.

Her Dance Magnificence And Technical Prowess Remain A Beacon.

She Now Displays A Sculptural Magnificence That Might Well Remind One Of Some Of The World's Greatest Art Masterpieces And Artistic Imagery Of The Female Ideal.

She has also created a Giselle that is unlike any other that I've ever seen.

**** Giselle As A Goddess ****

Totally Believable -- Totally Appropriate -- Totally Compelling -- Totally Desirable

Her Giselle Is The Universal Heroine -- She Has Conquered This World From The Beginning With Her Love

Her end of Act I 'demise' scene is one example. At the beginning, for a few seconds only, she is gothically tragic and, believe me, she is convincing. After that she simply transcends and, believe me, she is convincing -- and magnificent !

Only Alina Cojocaru's remarkable and highly different interpretation of Giselle at the Festival two years ago could be a possible equal, in my onstage viewing experience.

Svetlana Zakharova Has Achieved The Artistic Heavens And Her Wonderful Gift Is To Be Able To Carry Us With Her.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 am 

Buddy wrote:
Svetlana Zakharova

"Giselle"

Tonight Her Presence Could Be Described As Astounding !

Her Dance Has Also Reached Another Remarkable Level Of Interpretation.

Her Dance Magnificence And Technical Prowess Remain A Beacon.

She Now Displays A Sculptural Magnificence That Might Well Remind One Of Some Of The World's Greatest Art Masterpieces And Artistic Imagery Of The Female Ideal.

She has also created a Giselle that is unlike any other that I've ever seen.

**** Giselle As A Goddess ****

Totally Believable -- Totally Appropriate -- Totally Compelling -- Totally Desirable

Her Giselle Is The Universal Heroine -- She Has Conquered This World From The Beginning With Her Love

Her end of Act I 'demise' scene is one example. At the beginning, for a few seconds only, she is gothically tragic and, believe me, she is convincing. After that she simply transcends and, believe me, she is convincing -- and magnificent !

Svetlana Zakharova Has Achieved The Artistic Heavens And Her Wonderful Gift Is To Be Able To Carry Us With Her.

Well stated, Buddy.

I saw Svetlana as Giselle in Rome last month. I have been unable to articulate what I felt about her performance, but, thanks to you, you did it for me. Svetlana truly is [insert your favorite superlative here]!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:39 pm 

Willie wrote:
I saw Svetlana as Giselle in Rome last month. I have been unable to articulate what I felt about her performance, but, thanks to you, you did it for me. Svetlana truly is [insert your favorite superlative here]!!!

["A Dream" :D]

Thanks, Willie, and here's another one for you.

Ekaterina Kondaurova

The New Mariinsky Wonder Woman

A New Dimension Revealed

This Goddess Of Dance And Grace Has

****Charisma****

By The Diamond Loads

From Swan Lake To Something That Fifth Avenue Could Only Imagine In Its Wildest Dreams
From Odette To Audrey Hepburn Rocking Out At The Apollo Ballroom

An Evening That Shone Like A Gem Stone !

Emeralds -- A Perfumed Breeze Through The Garden

Rubies -- A Broadway Sense Of Bounce And Delight

Diamonds -- A Dreamland

An Evening Of Credibility And Enchantment

Yes, The Angels Can Rock N Roll

As Only Angels Can

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm 

Thanks for your reviews, Buddy.

I remember Zakharova well from a New York performance many years ago (Nikiya, I think, but I'm not totally sure). Sounds like she's added warmth to her prodigious technique. Of the current, or reasonably current, Giselles I've seen, it'd take a lot for me to imagine anyone doing a finer portrayal than Vishneva, but I'm open to the possibility (unlikely though it may be :) ) .

And, some day, I look forward to the seeing the Kondaurova Triple (!) in New York.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:44 am 

Kondaurova was fantastic last night, that is a very demanding triple bill and she pulled it off with both grace and charisma. Well done!

Also proper congratulations should be extended to the young and talented Vladislav Lantratov, it was his debut on the Mariinsky stage when he partnered Zakharova as Albrecht in Giselle. May his star continue to rise. It was great to see Bolshoi dancers in the Mariinsky company classes and cafeteria, they should visit more often!

Tonight Lopatkina debut's in Midsummer Night's Dream...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:53 am 

Tiara wrote:
Buddy wrote:

Now I know that things are really wrong in Mariinsky Theatre when someone can actually think of Oxana Skorik as possibly being the Mariinsky's next great star. To be a star a ballerina must have some quality that sets her above others, and I can see none of this in Oxana Skorik. I have seen her dance in St Petersburg many times and on video even more, and have yet to see her give a "great" performance. Actually, I have never seen her give an adequate performance. Always there is some rearrangement of choreography to suit her - the ballones in Giselle that did not happen, the overhead lifts in Swan Lake that she did not do, the numerous occasions where she just fell off pointe, the failed Italian fouettes, the slightly unfinished steps - it is an endless list. She strikes a pose with admittedly impressive extension, but she does not flow between poses, she does not have the Mariinsky beautiful arms and upper body. I cannot agree Oxana Skorik could be a great star - in my eyes this is impossible. If there were some technical deficiencies but she had other "great" qualities I could forgive them. If she could make me forget everything except the character she was portraying, I would overlook all the technical errors. If she had some personality or soul shining through her dancing, some expression coming from within ... I would love to see this. This is what we all look for in a truly great dancer - one who touches us and moves us and expresses the music from within. Oxana Skorik is not this ballerina.

Well said, Tiara.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:03 pm 

"A Midsummer Night's Dream"

Another Absolutely Lovely Evening

The Unqestioned Highlight For Me Of This Work Is

**** The Act II Divertissement Duet ****

For me it is one of the most beautiful duets in all ballet. Sometimes it seems like the most beautiful, but to compare it to a duet like the one from Swan Lake would be like comparing different universes. This duet as performed by Louise Nadeau, on the PNB dvd, was sort of my goodnight lullaby for months.

Do you have any thoughts on this one, balletomaniac-Jerry ? Thanks for your thanks.

Tonight it was performed by

Maria Shirinkina

and it was

Beautiful Almost Beyond Description !

Filipp Stepin was her partner.

The rest of Act II, which is somewhat of a ballroom spectacle, similar in feel to the final dancing in Ballet Imperial or Diamonds, framed this magnificent duet wonderfully. The Mariinsky turns this aspect of Balanchine into its very own magic. I sometimes feel that George Balanchine anticipated this someday happening.

Act I is the actual story.

Ulyana Lopatkina, as Titania, was a dream as usual. Is there anyone in the world who can move as beautifully, or even stand still as beautifully as she can ?!

Her's was somewhat of a virtuoso part and had she been given the Act II duet, it probably would have been mind boggling.

Timur Askerov was Oberon and he is someone to keep an eye on. HIs entrechats, for one, were dynamite.

Daria Pavlenko was once again a gem of expression as Hermia.

Xander Parish was in the chorus and when he goes into solo mode he is very special.

Ilya Petrov did just fine as Puck, which is a key to the success of Act I and even the conclusion of Act II. Herman Cornejo (ABT) is probably the definitive Puck of all times (from the Frederick Ashton version).

There have been so many other names that deserve mention throughout all these performances, but I just don't have the time to mention more than a few of them. Somewhere down the road I hope that I can do more of them justice.

Great to hear your thoughts, Catherine. Hopefully you can fill in some of the details that I've barely been able to touch on. Thanks to everyone else as well for your comments.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:23 pm 

Oxana Skorik

"La Bayadere"

I've often mentioned that I consider the *Essence* of her artistry to be something of extremely Refined Beauty.

Tonight I had a more specific idea. I would call it

*A Mozart-like Essence*

Her Motion

is like one of his compositions with each note being

So Clear, So Clearly Defined and So Beautifully Perfect.

She has many remarkable qualities. One is character expression. It was extremely evident in her October "Swan Lake" performances in Costa Mesa. I consider it theatrical genius. Tonight it was once again very apparent at the end of her 'demise' sequence at the palace.

Other remarkable qualities that were very evident are her ability to shape and pose herself. She also has the ability to use her amazing flexibility to create images that add dimensions to the meaning of the work's message and to its expression.

And there was much more.

When she can put this all together it becomes something of magnificence. Something that I would call Genius.

She looked quite happy during the very enthusiastic curtain calls. This was very nice to see.

So much other wonderful stuff of which I'll only mention a few names.

Vadim Muntagirov (Solor) is a very sympathetic and fine artist.

Ekaterina Osmolkina (Gamzatti) has a lyrically delightful dance expression and excellence.

Xander Parish in the Act II Grand Pas of six dancers continued to catch my attention with his outstanding artistry.

Daria Vasnetsova was supposed to be one of the four women in the Grand Pas, but I couldn't identify her for certain. She was magnificent as Myrtha ("Giselle") at last year's(?) Festival and I hope that she will be featured often in the future.

The Corps de Ballet in the Shades sequence was as fine as I've ever seen it. It moved with a dreamlike oneness that created both a focus and a backdrop of immense Beauty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:59 pm 

Vladimir Shklyarov Evening

He did himself proud !

Yet once again

** Ekaterina Kondaurova **

She Is Not To Be Believed !

Is There Anything That This Amazing Woman Can't Do ?!

Of the three works tonight she appeared in two of them.

Tonight she was the Tall Ballerina in Rubies. Previously she was the other.

She May Well Be The Rubies Ballerina of All Times !

I'm not sure that NYC has or ever will field the likes of her. I was beside myself !

Her dance quality is beyond discussion. Her theatricality has emerged at this Festival as something Incredible. Her stage attitude and timing were right-on perfect by even the highest Broadway standards. I've never seen the likes of it at the Mariinsky and that might well apply to my lifetime viewing of the American stage and cinema also !

If She Ever Decides To Hang Up Her Dancing Shoes -- Hollywood Might Start Thinking About The Next Garbo !

This Year's Event Might Well Be Named The Ekaterina Kondaurova International Dance Festival !

Vladimir Shklyarov

He shone both in his soloist grace and virtuosity and in his extremely fine partnering. In The Shades scene for instance he propelled Dorothée Gilbert overhead and across the stage in an unusually magnificent flowing surge and she appeared as some heavenly object.

A few more names from so many.

Olesya Novikova was delightfully charming as the other Rubies Ballerina.

Dorothée Gilbert (Paris Opera Ballet) was the Definition of Elegance -- Beautiful Dancing -- Magnificent Presence.

The Three Shades:

Anastasia Nikitina was vibrant.

Daria Vasnetsova made another appearance, which I was so hoping for, and she performed with a fine maturity and and proficiency. More of her, please.

Alisa Sodoleva, whom I don't recall ever seeing before, had extremely fine grace and and proficiency. We may well be seeing her a lot more.

Today, by the way, is International Women's Day in Russia. It is one of only five Russian national holidays. Good thinking someone ! :D

If you walk down the main street of St. Petersburg, the Prospekt Nevsky, these days you will get one very good idea why. At least one out of every two young women looks like a ballerina or movie star.

[several typo corrections and minor word changes made]

Last edited by Buddy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.