public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RAD Grade 8 Examination Tips
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:20 am 

Hi, I will be taking my Grade 8 examination next month. I will dance Etude Lyrique, Valse Primptemp, Movement Libre Poetique, and Dance Russe. I need tips doing this exam... I also still confused about the expression when dancing Movement Libre Poetique and Dance Russe, need some advices please...

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: RAD Grade 8 Examination Tips
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 am 

From our colleague in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, Gina Sinclair Davis [thank you!]:

Good choices!

I have always taught Etude Lyrique as something romantic and reflective ….perhaps Juliet? Thinking about leaving with Romeo (romantic) but sad to leave without her nurse. (reflective)
The nice thing about this choregraphy is that it dances so well with the music. It flows, it has fast, slow, deep into the ground and sweeping across it. The pose 3rd arabesque ouvert should be strong enough to hold for a moment. Be sure to fully use various eye lines. Am glad this is a dance seen by everyone.

Light, bright, joyful with strong technique and crazy travel is what Valse Printemps is all about! Happy hyper is the energy needed. Watch out for the coupé fouette raccouri sauté section. Keep it light, strong and TIDY!

Movement Libre Poetique is lovely…. It is warm, delicate…one of my students that did this dance last year told me that this dance/music is like finding childhood treasures and recalling the memory associated with it. When the music changes from 9/8 to 2/4 there should be different feel to your movements. I love the ending of this one…be sure to feel the drama associated with that arm reaching out with the palm up.

Dance Russe is elegant, calm, proud and very very smooth. Some people think that because it is slow/controlled it is easier than Muzurka de Salon… WRONG! This is a hard dance. Be sure to look up costumes and dance videos to better understand the style. It is a Russian dance, but it is from Georgia. The Ladies' costume is to the floor. I have seen this style danced and they glide…they look like they have roller skates on underneath their costumes and they are being pulled by a rope. Fascinating!

Be sure to have beautiful bows or curtseys appropriate for each dance and enter the room/exit room as though it were a stage. You are ‘in performance’ from entrance to exit.

Hope this has helped.

Good luck with your exam. Gina
http://www.GinaSinclairDavis.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: RAD Grade 8 Examination Tips
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 am 

Hi Ms. Gina...

Thank you for your kindly attention and very useful tips. Will practice hard until the exam day.

Thank you so much.

Profile E-mail