public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mariinsky 2012-2013 (230th) season
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 pm 

Exciting indeed, Catherine! Also, I could not help but notice that Gergiev himself will be conducting Minkus' Don Q (yes - Don Q with Valery Gergiev!) on TWO consecutive nights (Dec 28 & 29). As Mariinsky regulars have learned, Gergiev conducting a ballet on consecutive nights usually means some sort of live transmission and/or a DVD in the making.

Dec 2012 schedule: http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... 2&month=12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:00 pm 

NataliaN wrote:
Exciting indeed, Catherine! Also, I could not help but notice that Gergiev himself will be conducting Minkus' Don Q (yes - Don Q with Valery Gergiev!) on TWO consecutive nights (Dec 28 & 29). As Mariinsky regulars have learned, Gergiev conducting a ballet on consecutive nights usually means some sort of live transmission and/or a DVD in the making.

Dec 2012 schedule: http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... 2&month=12

I could be wrong, but I think Gergiev is conducting Don Quichotte (the opera by Massenet). I think he's recorded it recently and now apparently premiering it on stage at the Mariinsky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 pm 

PenneallaNorma wrote:
...I could be wrong, but I think Gergiev is conducting Don Quichotte (the opera by Massenet). I think he's recorded it recently and now apparently premiering it on stage at the Mariinsky.

That must be it, Pennealla. No composer cited but it says "comedie heroique in five acts..." and the ballet has four acts, I think.

I found it astonishing that Gergiev would 'stoop' to conduct a ballet by a mid-19th-C 'oom-pah-pah' composer, instead of his preference for 'serious' composers like Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky & Shostakovich. Hey, there's always a first time for everything! I would have paid to see him in the pit, waving his baton in oom-pah-pah mode.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:24 pm 

NataliaN wrote:
PenneallaNorma wrote:
...I could be wrong, but I think Gergiev is conducting Don Quichotte (the opera by Massenet). I think he's recorded it recently and now apparently premiering it on stage at the Mariinsky.

That must be it, Pennealla. No composer cited but it says "comedie heroique in five acts..." and the ballet has four acts, I think.

I found it astonishing that Gergiev would 'stoop' to conduct a ballet by a mid-19th-C 'oom-pah-pah' composer, instead of his preference for 'serious' composers like Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky & Shostakovich. Hey, there's always a first time for everything! I would have paid to see him in the pit, waving his baton in oom-pah-pah mode.

Correct, this is for an opera not ballet -- the Mariinsky version (of the ballet Don Q) is indeed 4 acts and not 5. Plus, if I'm not mistaken the company is at their annual Baden Baden tour stop at that point (or returning within a few days of this premiere)

I'll refrain from comment on the oom pah pah issue :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 pm 

Dennis Matvienko has been replaced by Filippe Stepin for the Nov. 17th "Giselle".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:24 pm 

Ok, Americans

Here she is -- Myrtha -- Keenan Kampa.

I won't link you there, but try this at YouTube and see what happens -- NEW!Жизель 17 11 12 Keenan Kampa. If this isn't ok, Catherine, I'll erase. (posted at Dansomanie)

She looks basically fine
More time
She should shine

:D

Last edited by Buddy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:46 pm 

Olesya Novikova

Also at Dansomanie, Sophia has posted some video clips of her as Giselle (with Filipp Stepin) in last Saturday's performance (mentioned above). In almost ten years of ballet watching I've never seen her perform more beautifully !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:52 am 

Another quick comment on Keenan Kampa as Myrtha (Giselle). There are two video clips and the more I watch, the more that I like them. She still shows a slight bit of the freshness and attitude of an American teenage girl, which is touching. George Balanchine also seemed quite captivated by this sort of thing as he exhorted his young American dancers to be themselves. She is definitely becoming a Mariinsky dancer. Her airiness and grace are lovely and should become more and more apparent as she settles in.

I think that she's charming.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 am 

Speaking of Kampa, she is being given her debut as Kitri in January alongside the tall and handsome Andrey Ermakov:

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/2013/1/16/1_1900/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:14 pm 

Graham Watts reviews the new filmed version of the Mariinsky Nutcracker:

http://londondance.com/articles/feature ... d-blu-ray/

Alistair Macaulay had previously reviewed the 3-D version that was shown in movie theaters earlier this month:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/arts/ ... gewanted=1

I haven’t seen the DVD but I enjoyed the 3-D version (it’s distracting for some people, clearly) but I found it enhanced this performance, even though the Mariinsky film team (British) does not yet use 3-D in the unobtrusive way Wim Wenders does in Pina. Watts’ review of the dancing and the company is much closer to my own experience than Macaulay’s though I completely agree with his praise of Alexandra Korshunova (young Masha/Clara) and the charming, elegant prince, Vladimir Shklyarov, who stole hearts last year in the Mariinsky’s “Little Humpbacked Horse” at the Metrolpolitan Opera House. I particularly valued this performance after watching Helgi Tomasson's sterile Nutcracker for the San Francisco Ballet (only the dancers redeem it; that, and the glitzy sets and costumes sell out most performances, which is what Nutcracker is now about here: fundraising). I look forward to adding this new but traditional Nutcracker to my DVD library.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:47 pm 

Robert Greskovic in the Wall Stree Journal on the Mariinsky’s 3-D Nutcracker:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 0.html?mod

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:20 pm 

bcx wrote:
and the charming, elegant prince, Vladimir Shklyarov, who stole hearts last year in the Mariinsky’s “Little Humpbacked Horse” at the Metrolpolitan Opera House. I particularly valued this performance after watching Helgi Tomasson's sterile Nutcracker for the San Francisco Ballet (only the dancers redeem it; that, and the glitzy sets and costumes sell out most performances, which is what Nutcracker is now about here: fundraising). I look forward to adding this new but traditional Nutcracker to my DVD library.

I found the same thing -- I reviewed SFB's Nutcracker for Dance Europe this month and was really shocked at the presentation. No real dancing until the Final Grand Pas, with maybe the exception of the Snow Pas. A disappointment if you're not under the age of 12 - clearly meant to sell tickets, not to promote the art of ballet. But what can you do, such is the situation of the arts in America today. Funding is needed and the government surely doesn't provide it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:04 pm 

Posted yesterday by NEOPHYTE at Dansomanie (in french).

"I discovered Baden-Baden this weekend, long live the TGV (high speed train), it's very handy.

"Oxana Skorik was born in Ukraine, went to the Perm Ballet School, but above all she has incarnated a swan of great poetry. I've never seen a dancer undulate her hands and forearms like this. The result is magical, she has an incredible flexibility and all her movements have an incredible magnitude, that for me, has never been seen before."

http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/v ... &start=795

Happy Holidays to Everyone !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:04 am 

Buddy wrote:
Posted yesterday by NEOPHYTE at Dansomanie (in french).

"I discovered Baden-Baden this weekend, long live the TGV (high speed train), it's very handy.

"Oxana Skorik was born in Ukraine, went to the Perm Ballet School, but above all she has incarnated a swan of great poetry. I've never seen a dancer undulate her hands and forearms like this. The result is magical, she has an incredible flexibility and all her movements have an incredible magnitude, that for me, has never been seen before."

Happy Holidays to Everyone !

Opinions clearly differ greatly on Oxana Skorik. I find it hard to reconcile this glowing report with the reality of Oxana Skorik's Lilac Fairy performance I saw in St Petersburg two weeks ago. Far from being magical, she made a complete mess of her prologue variation, falling off pointe several times, failing to get round here pirouettes and with little flow between her pose and pose movements. She also lacked radiance and warmth and had little rapport with other characters on stage. I am completely at a loss to know why she gets any favourable press judging on the performances I have seen. I find her very far from the standard I expect to see from a Mariinsky ballerina.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:08 pm 

Oxana Skorik

Please let me add the second opinion offered at Dansomanie, this time by EmmaHK, about the Baden-Baden performance.

"Finally came the second act, and Miss Skorik. Beautiful arabesques, very high, balances held, upon entry, and endless arms. I have seen no coldness, but a slight restraint, a vulnerability, which accorded well to my eyes with the role. The variation of white swan and the pas de deux were fluid, always with the contrast between her, attractive, almost timid, and Yevgeny Ivenchenko, very masculine.

"Odile remained to be seen. The variation of the black swan went smoothly, even though the spins in attitude were quickly ended without being held in suspension like Marianela Nuñez would do. The 32 fouettes were simple but impeccably finished and stable. By contrast, Miss Skorik is more an Odette than an Odile, and the seductiveness of the black swan score will undoubtedly be worked on.

"In conclusion, I agree with Neophyte, that the performance of Oksana Skorik, which was able to show delicacy and ensure flawless technique, was a pleasant surprise. She created with Evgeny Ivenchenko a very complementary couple and based on what I saw tonight, I will follow with interest her future evolution."

I'll add once again, that based on the several Odette/Odile (Swan Lake) performances that I saw Oxana Skorik give in October (Costa Mesa), in my opinion, she has both ....

* Greatness and Genius *

Each evening she received an enthusiastic response and two of the evenings the audience gave her instant standing ovations.

This is the actual post in french:

[Enfin est arrivé le second acte, et Melle Skorik. Superbes arabesques, très hautes, équilibres tenus, dès l'entrée, et des bras interminables. Je n’ai perçu nulle froideur, mais une légère retenue, une vulnérabilité, qui s'accordait bien à mes yeux avec le rôle. La variation du cygne blanc, et le pas de deux ont été fluides, avec toujours, ce contraste séduisant entre elle, presque timide, et Evgueny Ivenchenko, très masculin.

Restait à voir Odile. La variation du cygne noir est passée sans encombre, même si les tours attitude étaient vite « atterris », sans être planés à la manière d’une Marianela Nuñez. Les 32 fouettés ont été simples, mais stables et terminés impeccablement. Par contre, Melle Skorik est plus une Odette qu’une Odile, et le cote séducteur du cygne noir devra sans nul doute être travaillé.

En conclusion, et je rejoins Neophyte, la prestation d’Oksana Skorik, qui a su faire montre de délicatesse et assurer un sans fautes technique, a été une bonne surprise. Elle a formé avec Evgueny Ivenchenko un couple très complémentaire, et sur la base de ce que j’ai vu ce soir la, je suivrai avec intérêt son évolution future.]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next