public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012-13 Season
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:08 am 

In the Copenhagen Post, Franziska Bork Petersen previews performances of Alexei Ratmansky's "The Golden Cockerel," which opens the 2012-13 season, September 22 through October 26.

Copenhagen Post

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2012-13 Season
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:41 pm 

Gerald Dowler reviews "The Golden Cockerel" for the Financial Times.

Financial Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:47 pm 

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/26350972

Nikolaj Hübbe and seven of the RDB dancers perform excerpts from the company's new 'La Bayadere', which will premiere on Nov. 19. it's a really treat to see video of the dancers, particular the wonderful Alban Lendorf, and the up and coming Jon-Axel Fransson. I have had the pleasure of interviewing both dancers, and in Lendorf's case, seeing him dance as a student and aspirant (I believe I also saw Fransson dance as a student). The quality of their performance in this video is superb, especially given the small size of the stage and the jet lag from which they must certainly be suffering!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 pm 

Roslyn Sulcas reviews "La Bayadere" for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:10 pm 

Roslyn Sulcas interviews Nikolaj Hubbe for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:37 pm 

In the Copenhagen Post, Bork Petersen reviews a "Dans2Go" program designed to attract new audiences at discounted ticket prices. The program reviewed includes Wayne MacGregor's "Chroma," Jose Limon's "The Unsung" and the "Kingdom of the Shades" from "La Bayadere."

Copenhagen Post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm 

Ulrik Birkkjaær is listed as a principal with the Los Angeles Ballet. He has been dancing with the RDB to present, so I assume the LAB gig is in addition to RDB.

I can't imagine LAB would provide enough remuneration to completely give up a RDB contract and potential pension, so it's probably a chance to dance some additional repertory and see more of the world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:32 pm 

Brand new productions of La Ventana (Gudrun Bojesen) and Kermessen i Bruges (Ib Anderson) premiere on Tuesday.

http://kglteater.dk/det-sker/forestilli ... n-i-brugge

Judging from the press images, Bojeson is taking the La Ventana in a different direction from the previous production which debuted prior to the 2005 Bournonville Festival. The cast is mostly experienced dancers - Diana Cuni, Amy Watson, Alexander Stæger and Marcin Kupiñski.

Kermessen has traditionally been a ballet with which to launch careers - many a young corps dancer or soloist has been promoted shortly after their debut in Kermessen. The casting for this year largely falls within that tradition - in the first cast, it is Alban Lendorf & Ida Praetorius in the lead roles. Lendorf, though perfectly suited to the role, could perhaps be seen as 'too established' to be making a debut as Carelis. Yet Lendorf's quick rise in the ranks has taken place between productions of Kermessen, and it would have been a real shame if he had been denied a role that is such a natural fit. As to Praetorius - one can only hope this foreshadows a rise in rank. Having won acclaim from many critics and the Erik Bruhn Prize, it is curious that Praetorius has net been promoted - I do hope it is only a matter of economics.

The second cast features the company's other recent Erik Bruhn Prize winner, Andreas Kaas, partnered by another corps member, Stephanie Chen Gundorph. Kaas is presumably prime for a promotion (as I hope is Jon Axel Fransson, a Erik Bruhn Prize competitor who is the first cast Geert), and Gundorph is one of the fast rising crop of new corps dancers.

Based on birth dates, this should be the final season for both Tina Højlund and Julien Ringdahl. Ringdahl has struggled with injuries in the latter years of his career, but will be much missed. Trained at the RDB, he danced with the NYCB for a number of years before returning to the RDB. In Copenhagen he's been a dependable dancer who has been featured in a number of soloist roles - he made my 'superman' list after dancing in all three ballets on a post-Christmas matinee, including Fancy Free and Etudes.

I do hope that Højlund is not leaving after this season, as she's not cast to dance in either of these ballets (unless in a corps role), and it would be a shame for such a wonderful dancer to leave without a special role.

Kate

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 pm 

The Berlingske Tidende gives the new productions of La Ventana and Kermessen i Bruges high marks:

http://www.b.dk/kultur/spansk-gloed-og-spraelsk-humor